O.K. all you D.I.R.ers,( A Serious Question)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it's official!

Just ordered a TX-40! My mind is clear AND I have an extra Tech 50-D in case the other one needs to be fixed. Wait a minute now I have 3 regs that need annual service! DOH!

Anyway thanks for the info on this board guys. As many times as I hop around on different boards (yes, I'm promiscuous....but I make LOVE to you, baby!) I always come back to this board. Nearly every topic I can think of has been or is being covered here. Now off to Ebay (gotta pay for this new stuff somehow!).

----------------Das Goot
(The Goat)

As long as the TX40 performs as advertised, I'm not picky on the color.

Texas Mike,

If the color ever bothers you, give Aquatic Adventures a call. I just bought a black cover for mine for about 12 or 15 dollars. Nice people to work with. Got this one from Lost Yooper, thanks!

Have a quick question about these APEKS regs are are discussing. Who's making these now?

The reason is that I found out last night that the ones that are [red]currently[/red] being manufactured in the US are not quite the same ones as the ones offered overseas. Something about different (read lower) quality of parts being used. And that the overseas are actually still the same reg we know and love.

Can anyone answer these questions?

--Mike

I know dir has strict rules but.. Will I be unsafe if I take a piss in my wetsuit.. Just asking..

Mike,

I was under the impression that ALL of the Apeks regs are still made by Apeks Ltd. UK -- Seaquest only DISTRIBUTES them here in the states....they are not manufactured here.

Here is some company background from the Apeks web-site -- sounds like they manufacture all of their regs at their plant in the UK --
-----------------------------------------------------
Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd began manufacturing over 25 years ago with one goal - to make the best diving equipment in the world. Our strengths in design, development and engineering craftsmanship produce equipment of such a high standard that they are now the benchmark standards other manufacturers strive for.

Through constant innovation and development Apeks has grown into a major player in the diving industry. We now make more regulators for UK divers than any other manufacturer and export more than 70% of our equipment to over 50 countries.

Still the only UK manufacturer of regulators Apeks is a respected name throughout the world.

Those same high standards that started the company apply just as much today. Ken Ainscough, who as a keen diver and engineer founded the company, and the dedicated divers and experts now working with him at Apeks are all committed to those values.

The company's design, development, manufacturing and production processes use the latest technology and state of the art equipment. Rigorous total quality control procedures comply with the highest standards under the European Quality Assurance System BS EN ISO 9001 ensuring Apeks' quality which is the envy of others .

Our regulators have been tested by the world's leading authorities on regulator performance and in fact were the first to pass EN 250 and be awarded the coveted CE mark.

They consistently come at the top in independent performance tests throughout the world, reflecting Apeks' commitment to investment in research and development.

We design, develop, test, manufacture, and assemble products in our purpose-built factory in Blackburn. As we control the manufacturing process from start to finish Apeks offers a lifetime guarantee, such is our confidence in the reliability of our manufactured equipment. Apeks is the name diving enthusiasts and professionals trust.

We are on the approved defence contractors list for the supply of diving equipment to the armed forces. As well as the wide range of products we manufacture for the diving industry, we manufacture for navies, including the British Navy, for the army, and also for emergency services such as coast guards, police forces and fire services. For example, we are involved in the design and manufacture of the Dual mode mask and supply valves and regulators for current in-service mine counter measures.

Our commitment doesn't end at the sales counter. We care about our customers. Apeks products are backed by a professional service with a world wide reputation and distribution network.

Our products and spare parts are widely available and we operate service courses for dealers and professional organisations. Our dealers will be able to help you with any advice required on our products.

Originally posted by TexasMike
Have a quick question about these APEKS regs are are discussing. Who's making these now?

The reason is that I found out last night that the ones that are [red]currently[/red] being manufactured in the US are not quite the same ones as the ones offered overseas. Something about different (read lower) quality of parts being used. And that the overseas are actually still the same reg we know and love.

Can anyone answer these questions?

--Mike

I suspect what you were told is has to do with the modifications that I was also told about. What it involves is a new counterbalance cylinder. What this does is reduces the tension on the shuttle valve spring, which in turn reduces breathing effort. That doesn't make it inferior in my eyes, it makes it better. But this new counterbalance cylinder doesn't pass the European standards, so it's not installed on the European models. I was also told that that's because it won't pass the European standards' extremely rigid cold water testing with the new counterbalace cylinder. But either way, a qualified reg serviceman can swap the counterbalance cylinder out in a few minutes, if you're uncomfortable with it or having freeze-ups. My regs have the new counterbalance cylinder, as does all Apeks reg shipped to the US since last fall, and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

WH,

That's exactly what he was talking about...but he didn't explain it as well. Mucho Thanks!

--Mike

PS. While we've digressed to Apeks regs for a while, I desire to add a swivel to my primary. Any suggestions on where to obtain one? One I have seen on instructors looks like a sphere that has a 45-degree slice, and when added to the current ability to twist the reg at the end of the hose, this swivel ads something of a "U-Joint" capability. Discussion? Source?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom