Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think uncfnp is referring to the VHF (30-300 MHz) radio liscencing to alert other boats, not the PLB1 that uses 406MHz distress signal shooting straight up to the SAR satellites, which is no liscencing required, just need to register it to NOAA.

I think uncfnp is referring to the VHF (30-300 MHz) radio liscencing to alert other boats, not the PLB1 that uses 406MHz distress signal shooting straight up to the SAR satellites, which is no liscencing required, just need to register it to NOAA.
Yes the Nautilus Lifeline Marine radio...that seems to be no longer available except for a few end of stock options.

Yes the Nautilus Lifeline Marine radio...that seems to be no longer available except for a few end of stock options.

Someone here convinced me that 1 watt power transmitter is just too weak. Also, where I want to use it (Indonesia), most of the boats don't use marine radio. If they do use, they may not listen to the channel 16.

PLB1 uses 5 watt power transmitter.

Been looking at options but my head starts to spin after just a few minutes trying to decide the best for my situation. I like the idea of the marine radio Nautilus Lifeline and speaking to the dive boat but not the registration that is required for the panic button to function in each country. Is registration required for the GPS units?

Don. Any comments on the new Nautilus GPS unit? I like the fact that it doesn't require an additional waterproof case.

Nautilus LifeLine Official Website: Marine Rescue GPS

Lisa,

I'd wait until after DEMA, just in case someone offers a new product in this space for divers. Otherwise I'd go with the ResQLink Plus. It really is built very well and the unit is buoyant, has a strobe and is only several dollars more after the rebate.

The PLB registration system is very simple and a HUGE benefit. You register the device once, however, you are encouraged to update any important information about your whereabouts and activities. For example if you were planning a trip to a remote location in the Indo Pacific you can login to your SAR account and provide all of the prudent information. This is a big time saving benefit for SAR. If you provided that info and they get a ping that matches the location you can bet they won't waste any time trying to determine if it's a false alarm. Plus they will have the contact info for whoever you're diving with.

I use a different canister than Don, but as long as it's water proof you can't go wrong.

Lisa,

I'd wait until after DEMA, just in case someone offers a new product in this space for divers. Otherwise I'd go with the ResQLink Plus. It really is built very well and the unit is buoyant, has a strobe and is only several dollars more after the rebate.

The PLB registration system is very simple and a HUGE benefit. You register the device once, however, you are encouraged to update any important information about your whereabouts and activities. For example if you were planning a trip to a remote location in the Indo Pacific you can login to your SAR account and provide all of the prudent information. This is a big time saving benefit for SAR. If you provided that info and they get a ping that matches the location you can bet they won't waste any time trying to determine if it's a false alarm. Plus they will have the contact info for whoever you're diving with.

I use a different canister than Don, but as long as it's water proof you can't go wrong.
Thanks CuzzA. I was favoring the radio unit because in Florida we often drop and hunt separate from the main group and its drift diving. That means the Capt has to keep up with multiple drops at one time. And since we are "vacation divers" we are willing to go out in sporty seas as well. We have ascended a few times to near whiteout conditions though fortunately it was very brief. I admit that in the busy waters of WPB the risk of not being found is low but I would prefer to make it zero. Having a radio to signal the boat without having to push the panic button for an all out search has a lot of appeal. I saw one of the spearos use this unit on my trip last fall and was pretty impressed. But if the unit is flawed, which seems to be the case, I will have to mark it off the list.

The ResQLink Plus sounds perfect for travel. And useful for our hiking as well. At that price I would be willing to get both it for travel and the radio for Florida, if the radio was reliable.

Thanks CuzzA. I was favoring the radio unit because in Florida we often drop and hunt separate from the main group and its drift diving. That means the Capt has to keep up with multiple drops at one time. And since we are "vacation divers" we are willing to go out in sporty seas as well. We have ascended a few times to near whiteout conditions though fortunately it was very brief. I admit that in the busy waters of WPB the risk of not being found is low but I would prefer to make it zero. Having a radio to signal the boat without having to push the panic button for an all out search has a lot of appeal. I saw one of the spearos use this unit on my trip last fall and was pretty impressed. But if the unit is flawed, which seems to be the case, I will have to mark it off the list.

The ResQLink Plus sounds perfect for travel. And useful for our hiking as well.

How about Body Glove Lifeline GPS Marine Radio

https://m.swimoutlet.com/p/body-glo...gle-shopping&gclid=CLOqioe16s8CFQOraQodoKUMvA

The radio feature seems to be the source of the leaks.

It would suck to carry it around, then find out it's ruined when you really needed it.

"This product is not rated yet."

It's basically the old Nautilus Lifeline with different brand name & color.

Been looking at options but my head starts to spin after just a few minutes trying to decide the best for my situation. I like the idea of the marine radio Nautilus Lifeline and speaking to the dive boat but not the registration that is required for the panic button to function in each country. Is registration required for the GPS units?

Don. Any comments on the new Nautilus GPS unit? I like the fact that it doesn't require an additional waterproof case.

Nautilus LifeLine Official Website: Marine Rescue GPS

You won't be able to speak to the dive boat with the new Nautilus Lifeline. You need the old model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom