Oceanic Atom 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Vie,

Hope u had a few good "dips". Incidentally, i just came back from Tioman, Aur & Apil yesterday. Anyway, can i check with you what batch no./ manufacturing date is your Atom made? It is printed on the side of the box and maybe somewhere else too looking something like eg 05/04. Oceanic Singapore's first batch were made 08/04 and heard they got another 50 pcs last week for distribution in APac.

Many thanks

Cheers

lck:
Anyway, can i check with you what batch no./ manufacturing date is your Atom made?

my Atom is 08/04 (origin Oceanic Japan).

I've had some problem with loading the dives from my Atom into my PC. The Atom is fine, the OceanLog program is fine (very easy to use infact), the USB cable is fine, but the connection fails more often than not so it takes ages for me to actually get the dives into OceanLog. It's not a problem with the cable or clip so maybe it's due to my ancient (Windows ME) PC.

Took my first 2 dives with the Atom yesterday.

I have to say that for a former VT Pro user, the Atom is definitely a step up in complexity for SETUP. THe VT had only two buttons, while the Atom has 4, though the light button is not realy needed. The watch features and gas switching capabilty is what adds the extra layer of complexity.

On whole, it was nice to use. Vis as OK on the smaller face, just the essential info there. I did not use the AI feature this time, so cannot comment on that. The band of the computer has some interesting features. The band connected to teh watch is standard size, and fit over my 3mm suit. Included with the watch is a "band extension" that hooks in and could be used for thicker protection suits. Also, the end of each watch band has a hole in it and it designed so that if the band were opened somehow, this last large hole "catches" the locking mechanism of the band. Very cool and very useful. Actually, I find these features of the bank system to be the most exciting part of the new computer...

Well, I finally installed Virtual PC and OceanLog onto my Powerbook - everything works and the problem with the lost connection has disappeared. I'm running XP now, so I guess ME was to blame.

To those of you that have the Atom, what *exactly* did it come with? Manuals/CD/cable??? Did it have the funky hard case, plastic box like the VT PRO?

Aqua Ho:
To those of you that have the Atom, what *exactly* did it come with? Manuals/CD/cable??? Did it have the funky hard case, plastic box like the VT PRO?

Let's just take a look...

Aqua Ho:

Comes in a cardboard box - clear plastic, foam and cardboard inside. Content: 1 Atom 1.0 with plastic guard, 1 transmitter, 1 USB interface cable, 1 battery changing tool, 1 strap extender for drysuit, 1 Manual + assorted booklets and addendum to manual, 1 plastic-coated quick reference page, 1 mini CD (in clear sleeve) with Oceanic OceanLog 1.0 (it's now 1.0.1 and needs to be updated at www.oceanicworldwide.com) and USB driver.

Vie:
Comes in a cardboard box - clear plastic, foam and cardboard inside. Content: 1 Atom 1.0 with plastic guard, 1 transmitter, 1 USB interface cable, 1 battery changing tool, 1 strap extender for drysuit, 1 Manual + assorted booklets and addendum to manual, 1 plastic-coated quick reference page, 1 mini CD (in clear sleeve) with Oceanic OceanLog 1.0 (it's now 1.0.1 and needs to be updated at www.oceanicworldwide.com) and USB driver.
So now funky hard cover dry box like the VT pro eh? Well that just sucks then.

Thanks for the detailed contents list!

Well, folks... my Atom has expired. I was doing a safety stop (at 5m) towards the end of a night dive (max. depth 18.5 msw) and the display started telling me I was "TOO DEEP". It did not say deco and so I suspected a malfunction and continued my ascend very slightly and the display suddenly switched to the day/date/time display. Then some of the graphic numerals became illegible and as I surfaced, the alarm and warning light started going off. I got back onto the dive boat eventually and the Atom was now telling me that I had blown a deco stop and it is now in violation mode. I was prepared for it to switch to "gauge" mode and stay there for 24 hours but after about 5 minutes the display went blank (and stayed blank). I don't believe that I had ignored a deco stop as I had been diving conservatively all day and had had plenty of surface interval time (almost 4 hours prior) before this dive (my fourth of the day). Anyway, it was my 8th dive during an 11-dive trip so it was a drag to say the least.

I contacted the shop that sold me the Atom and after checking it for leaks and finding the battery compartment intact, they just gave me a new one - no questions asked. I hope to dive with it in a few days. My old Atom and the replacement are both from the 08/04 batch - I guess Oceanic will be hearing from me if anything else unexpected happens.

Hello everyone,

I just dove with my third replacement last weekend up here in lake tahoe, nevada on a night dive and had no problems. Ill just have to get some more dives in and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom