Oceanic Atom 2.0 - Defective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hook up the reg to a tank, turn it on. Hold the upper left button down for about 2 seconds until the "gauge" portion shows up. Its not important whether or not you use gauge or norm mode, just pick one. Then hold down the upper right button for a second or so on the watch. You should see a small emblem with 3 radiating curves on the left side of the display. This is the watch searching for the connection. It should take seconds for it to find the tank system.

I have an Atom 2.0 and have several hundred dives on it since I got it. For the record, the only time I have had a transmit or recieve problem or any other wierd stuff is when the watch battery is low power. The battery needs to be replaced every 200 dives or so from my experience and the battery swap should take care of everything. There is a battery check feature on the watch you might want to look at although its not very discrete.

If you call up LP and order it over the phone, is it an online sale?

Good Question. . . there is an Oceanic rep on the board, we need his answer.
It may involve a register receipt.
The phone LINEs are the same ones for the internet.

A story that may help your situation:

A few months ago I purchased a Atom 1.0 from a diver on this forum. He had it in the classifieds as Computer good but transmitter not working upon contacting him I was able to make the purchase as a complete kit minus the carry case for $150 shipped.
I already own a VT3 and have been happy with it but my wife was about to start diving and I wanted the second computer.
The day I recieved the computer I downloaded the last version of the Oceanlog software for the Atom 1.0 (It uses an earlier version than the VT3 or Atom 2.0) and checked settings finding the reciever set to off. I turned it on and set the transmitter code for the VT3's transmitter on my regulator. I set my reg on a bottle opened it up and got a sync and pressure signal as soon as I put it in dive mode.
Next I changed over to the transmitter that came with it and was supposed to be dead.
I swapped it to my reg, changed the transmitter code in the software and loaded it into the Atom and open the bottle and sure enough it got no signal the transmitter seemed dead.
I was told by the seller that he had replaced the batteries when the trouble started.
My next step was to open the transmitters battery cover and test the battery with a voltmeter. It tested good and the transmitter was starting to truly appear dead. I took a look inside the battery compartment of the transmitter and saw a tiny black speck on the battery terminal at the bottom. Reaching in with my finger I wiped the speck out and inserted the battery and closed the cover. I recycled the computer and to my surprise the transmitter sprang to life and showed the same pressure as the other had earlier.
So let me stress this check the transmitters battery and the battery compartment for dirt. A tiny speck where contact is made will interfere with the power flow. I posted this when it first happened and got thank you messages from 2 other divers that checked their transmitters after my post and had the same problem.

ooo I am afraid to open the battery compartment. It might be worth a try though :)

Let's see if you really do have a problem or not. Update us tonight/tomorrow if it worked.

I'm sure LP will replace it if you have a problem this soon. I just like knowing that Oceanic WW is standing behind my purchases. If anything goes wrong, have LP fix it. It won't be as easy or as fast as Oceanic, but I'm sure LP will still repair it.

The important thing is you got a great computer and you're getting in the water and using it.

ooo I am afraid to open the battery compartment. It might be worth a try though :)

There's nothing to it. It loosens with a coin. Just make sure not to kink the o-ring when you put the cover back on.

OK, I checked the battery compartment... I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but wiped off the contact anyways. Now I am off to the pool. I won't be home until around midnight (EST) so I might not post my results until tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the help and support guys,

Sam

Last edited:
It is late, but I am happy to report that the computer linked up properly and I pool dove with it tonight, along with my new Sherwood Blizzard. Everything was wonderful, except two things... I need to install the larger exhaust deflector because I had lots of bubbles in my face. Second, the Atom 2.0 showed "EL 2" I am pretty close to sea level... so I need to track that down. I am pretty sure I saw a forum about that at one point, I will go look.

YAY! I am a happy camper :)

I have no idea why it didn't work on the test bench, but... I am a believer!

P.S. What is the latest Atom 2 firmware? I have r3C with a serial number in the low 3000's. Just wondering if I should consider a firmware update, how much it would cost and how long it would take... etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom