Oceanic strike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should see what it is doing to the apple industry. It will break a few growers this year and another year would be devastating.

This is what we get for always just seeing the cheap price.
If you can only begin to understand how much stuff we buy from China and Asia in general it would astound you.
They know it and they also know what kind of power they have when they shut stuff like that down. Even if we wanted to there would be no way to get away from imports to basically support life in this country as we know it, it's way too late for that.
That's what we get for letting large corporations run things.
As it is right now, even if this mess was sorted out tomorrow it would still take months for things to smooth out.
Look forward to shortages of a lot of things you use in everyday life for some time to come.

Is Oceanic on strike or is it the longshoreman's showdown? Container ships are backed up clear outside San Francisco Bay into open sea.

This port strike has left product either sitting at anchor, waiting to be unloaded. Or already unloaded, but buried among so much other freight. I'm told that even if this strike were to be resolved today, it would take about three months to work through the backlog.

Before congestion...
BC1.jpg
BC2.jpg
BC3.jpg

After congestion..
AC1.jpg
AC2.jpg
AC3.jpg
AC4.jpg
AC5.jpg

Surprised they just don't replace them with migratory workers. The reports I'm seeing say these workers make $150K, $200K and upwards as much as $500K/year for 45-50 hour weeks. I don't see what they have to "strike" about! Unions have definitely outlived their usefulness in our society and economy IMO.

Reactions: BRT
I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Long story short... At the beginning of the year my wife and I signed up for classes and a dive trip. We purchased Oceanic's gear up packages from our LDS (scubatoys.com) to use for our classes and get familiar with the equipment in prep for our trip. After a month we called to see if the equipment arrived. We were told next week. This went on for 3 more weeks. This week we called as our class starts next week and was asked to come in. We we told due to a strike oceanic is unable to deliver our products in time.
HUGE compliments to our LDS scubatoys.com efor setting us up with equipment for our classes and if needed our trip. And as soon as the products arrived they would swap it out.

Surprised they just don't replace them with migratory workers. The reports I'm seeing say these workers make $150K, $200K and upwards as much as $500K/year for 45-50 hour weeks. I don't see what they have to "strike" about! Unions have definitely outlived their usefulness in our society and economy IMO.

i am am sure the president of the Managment company is making $10+ million. Average worker makes $142,000 a year working 10-12 hours a day. So the Crain operator that moves billions of dollars of in merchandise everyday hundreds of feet in the air and one wrong move down goes the Crain.

Unions are there to control Corperate greed. If there was not a problem you would not get the majority of the union to vote for a strike. Don't judge people you have never met.

i am am sure the president of the Managment company is making $10+ million. Average worker makes $142,000 a year working 10-12 hours a day. So the Crain operator that moves billions of dollars of in merchandise everyday hundreds of feet in the air and one wrong move down goes the Crain.

Unions are there to control Corperate greed. If there was not a problem you would not get the majority of the union to vote for a strike. Don't judge people you have never met.

:facepalm: I will never cease to be amazed by people like this.....

:facepalm: I will never cease to be amazed by people like this.....

I am not sure what you mean by this but if you mean educated and informed.... Yes I am. Do you even know what the dispute is about? It is not about wages. It is safety. I see people every day on this site stand up for safety and are seen as mentors and experts. Just like scuba a poorly trained overworked crain operator will cause loss of life.

You probably believe that it is the police officers and teachers are the reason we are in debit. Instead of the politicians that negotiated a contract and never filled their obligations to pay into pensions.

Back
Top Bottom