Oceanic strike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am am sure the president of the Managment company is making $10+ million. Average worker makes $142,000 a year working 10-12 hours a day. So the Crain operator that moves billions of dollars of in merchandise everyday hundreds of feet in the air and one wrong move down goes the Crain.

Unions are there to control Corperate greed. If there was not a problem you would not get the majority of the union to vote for a strike. Don't judge people you have never met.

How about if I have met them, and talked to them, and had them tell me how unbelievable it is what they get paid? Can I judge them then?

How about if I have met them, and talked to them, and had them tell me how unbelievable it is what they get paid? Can I judge them then?

no even if you have talked to a few you can not judge the whole. There are many great paying blue collar jobs. Some because no one wants to do the job others because they are physically demanding. Did you know the average Crain operator works 6 days 12+ hours a day with no lunch or breaks? Many operators can not even leave their Crain to go to the bathroom causing them to not drink water on the job and we all know the effects of degustation on mental and physical abilities.

if you mean educated and informed....

No. No I do not.

I don't know what this specific dispute is about, and I'm all for safety on the job and paying fair wages. I don't think cops and teachers are why we're in "debit" but I do know that bad cops and bad teachers are protected far more than they deserve.... and that the good ones suffer because of the bad ones. So do students and citizens.

No. No I do not.

I don't know what this specific dispute is about, and I'm all for safety on the job and paying fair wages. I don't think cops and teachers are why we're in "debit" but I do know that bad cops and bad teachers are protected far more than they deserve.... and that the good ones suffer because of the bad ones. So do students and citizens.

I am glad you can admit you do not know the dispute but I have been following it. The dispute is over long working hours and unsafe conditions. Workers want to limit overtime actually redusing their pay.

We we can agree their are lazy workers in every demographic but the union is there to protect their members. My wife is in a teachers union and works in a special ed classroom and stood up with a couple of teachers in the interests of some students that could not fight for themselves and was transfer to a differnt school trying to get her to quit. The union stood up for her and it took a year but she got back to her original classroom. In the big machine of a school district all you need is to become a target for a supervisor that does not know how to motivate and inspire good work. In many work environments if you have under performing workers you will proberbly find poor Managment that wants to be in power instead of create a better work environment and help their employees be successfull.

Well the strike has been long over and still no regulators. According to all the major online shops it appears the CDX5 and Alpha9 have been discontinued. And there is a sale on the FDX10 and Neo or Eos for almost 1/2 what I originally paid. Guess I need to visit the LDS and see what they can do about the price and getting me set up.

Thanks to a knowledgable guy at oceanic here's a quick recap of what he shared with me. The DVT versions of their first stages have been discontinued. Which is what I ordered and the ones showing as no longer available from the online shops. The Cdx and Fdx models in din and yoke without DVT will still be available. The neo second stage is also discontinued. The alpha series is the entry level followed by the eos as a mid level and the zeos as their high end.
I was back at the LDS and they provided a pair of fdx10 non-DVT with delta 4.2 second stages that they had in stock. I now have all my own equipment:)

You can blame big business all you want but remember it is not the business that is on strike it is the union. give us more or we do nothing...... Legalized extortion. The good old Jimmy Hoffa way. Unions strike because they are loosing business to foreigners and the business goes to foreigners because of unions. Machines never strike. they require less health care They do what they are told when they are told and they do it every day rain or shine. The machines are not their because of foreigners its because of unions , PC and the anti business (salary paying) liberal ideals.

The word is crane. If you want to argue from a position of expertise, it helps to spell your words correctly. Just a helpful piece of advice.

Octopus Prime

I cant speek for many of the cranes you are referencing to. In prior occupation we used cranes a lot. yes the hours were long. the safety issues only came into play during the 100' or so trip up to the crane cab and back at night. the cab was somewhat of a mini apartment with all the facilities. They sat most the time waiting for something to do. The did something 2 hours a day and got paid for the time in the cab which may have been 8-10-12 hours a day. They were making well over 100 an hour not because of the danger but for the loads they were moving. not a bad job making 1-2 grand a day. I hardly ever saw the operators awake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom