Oceanlog 2.3.0 SUCKS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyDragon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, if you set out to release the most un-usable and un-friendly version of Oceanlog to date...mission accomplished. This latest version consistantly looses information, wants to install itself every second time I use it and what's with the idiotic debug beeping in the background while downloading? This is terrible software development (and I should know, I'm a software developer for a "major software company").

I've always been a huge supporter of Oceanic dive computers...4 out of 4 divers in my household use them. As an instructor I always advise students they can't go wrong with the great engineering excellence of an Oceanic dive computer. Too bad this excellence is hampered by crap software. Either fire that VB hack developer and rewrite the software from the ground up and/or release the download protocols so people who CAN write useful software (like Sven, author of Diving Log) can add direct download to real log software and I can continue to recomment your excellent hardware to others.

After all, there's only a finite amount of bad UI, bad data handling and bad UX that anyone can stand before moving on to something else out of sheet necessity.

I agree. I've been writing software for 25+ years and am frustrated with a piece of software that qualifies as "user vicious."

It shouldn't be hard to write a decent interface to talk with the dive computer. I write software for micro-controllers--some using bizarre protocols and I don't have a problem.

The protocols need to be opened up, think of Open Source software, and let us software developers out there write some decent software.

Yes, I don't have a lot of dive experience, but I bought my dive computer after literally months of very intense research, and hate the software.

Joe

Love my atom 2.0 but hate the oceanlog software. I basically just use it as a way to download the dive computer and then import it into diving log.

Did you use a copy from a cd or download from their website? I have installed ocean log on three different computers, that had three different operating systems and it installed just fine each time. Maybe the install file you have is corrupt? If you haven't already, try downloading a new copy from www.oceanicworldwide.com/services_software.html.

Did you use a copy from a cd or download from their website? I have installed ocean log on three different computers, that had three different operating systems and it installed just fine each time. Maybe the install file you have is corrupt? If you haven't already, try downloading a new copy from Oceanic Worldwide - Owner Services - Software.

yeah, sure. Did the auto-update of the old version twice. Then downloaded directly from their site, uninstalled the old version, installed the new version, all fine. Until I start it when it says something like "Major error"...

I actually gave up using Oceanlog altogether. I am using MacDive works very well not sure if a windows alternative exists to Oceanlog, but as System Admin with some programming experience it is an absolutely abysmal piece of software. If anyone wants a beta tester I am game PM me, I have a few oceanics I can test with.

I agree. This software is really terrible.

I've experienced all of the above problems plus if you set the Units of Measure to Metric then try to manually enter a dive it insists on American date format and depths in FT.

It's really a shame that Oceanic just does not care at all about their software. Don't get me wrong, I love Oceanic as a company. Their customer support is brilliant. Their dive computers are very good. I've owned two now and despite the horrible software I'd buy another one.

The software looks like it was written by one of the employee's kids who knows a bit about VB. It's never worked well and it's hardly ever updated.

Oceanlog is a nasty, stinky black mark on an otherwise stellar company.

-Charles

Alternatives?

+1 Hate Oceanlog software, but love my Oceanic computer.

Back
Top Bottom