Oceanlog 2.3.0 SUCKS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an Oceanic dealer and longterm fan, I'm sorry but have to agree.
Oceanic makes great gear, but software :shakehead:

I just wish they made it open source.
There are millions of poeple out in the world who can and will do a better job.

Sorry Oceanic. :depressed:

Possibly the only software that I've seen worse than OceanLog is Lotus Notes. I also use MacDive on the Mac for my Atom 2.0 and love it. On Windows I know people really like Diving Log. That may also be because it syncs with Dive Log for iPhone.

Diving is an expensive hobby, so in the grand scheme of things I think people who are using OceanLog (or nothing because you use a Mac), you owe it to yourself to spend the small amount of money for quality software.

Not that it appears that anyone from Oceanic gives a damn (judged on lack of participation in this thread), but from a user satisfaction standpoint it's probably better to not include any software rather than include Oceanlog.

As a general rule, I tend to assume the software that comes standard with devices is subpar. Same with my Garmin Forerunner I use for running. The Garmin software sucks. I use a great third party application. The difference here, though, is that Garmin releases APIs (or whatever it is) for third party developers to access the data from the devices. Oceanic, at least last I heard, will not give developers ANY access to their devices. I believe the third party developers had to do their own work with raw data dumps (I have provided these to developers before with both my Oceanic GEO and Atom 2.0).

I really believe that these manufacturers are almost shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing third party developers access to the device data. I think good software can actually help them sell devices.

Hang on .... we are going to fix this :wink:

DivePAL_w_20110912.jpg

Hang on .... we are going to fix this :wink:

Are you actually making something user friendly that I can use with my Geo2 instead of OceanLog? That would be great!

I was sort of hoping Oceanic would "belly up to the bar" and produce some decent software, but apparently I have a better chance of winning the lottery.

Will it import data directly or do we have to muddle through the Oceanlog middleware?

Waiting.gif We're impatiently waiting.

Are you actually making something user friendly that I can use with my Geo2.....
Yes, that would be the idea :wink:

BTW, did you say Geo 2.0?
DivePAL_w_20110912b.jpg

Sweet how long do we have to wait
Beta of the Basic Window version (single dive, no log yet) is already available for testing.
ETA for the Beta - Basic - iPad is in a couple of weeks

Beta for the Log feature is few weeks down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom