Octo/inflator vs. regular (traditional) octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy cow--I like that thing and the idea couv has about being able to add a hose in there is brilliant. Hey, AL, here is your daisy.

I am on a Mares boycott also, no parts, no service, goofy junk but this kind of thinking could get some attention along with actual parts and srvice.

It could even have a air tool like plug in fitting, a connector.

N

DSCN1000.JPG

If I am understanding this picture, the inflator/alternate hose goes up through the middle of the corrugated hose. Is that correct? Ever since I was forced to adopt the alternate air source/second stage concept, I was hoping someone would invent an item like this. Looks very clean and neat, not to mention that one can install the second stage of his choice to the end of it.

I have to assume that the elbow where the corrugated hose attaches to the bc has a fitting that accepts a rather short lp hose. If Mares holds the patent on this, they just might get me to end my Mares boycott.

couv
The corrugated hose has nothing in it but the wire that actuates the dump in the gooseneck. From right to left: Oceanic Omega II regulator (cold be any standard regulator) the second knurled knob is a standard female IP hose thread adaptor that screws into a hole in the bottom of the BC inflator. Then there’s the BIG DISK with a black rubber diaphragm over it, that’s nothing more than the power inflator actuator. Behind it (above in the photo) is an IP hose that is normal length (it needs to reach back to the first stage). To the right of the inflator actuating button is an oral inflator that you have to push against to either dump or inflate the bag by mouth. As far as I know it was never released in the North American market, I do not know about overseas. If you want I will call friends at MARES and make inquiries, I’m sure they’d love to have you back in the fold.

I have seen somewhere a fitting like the one used in this Genesis Sidekick, but that can be used with any second stage.

This might accomplish something similar to your set up, you just need a side breather second stage. You may need a short LP hose to place the second stage exactly where you want it, but that seems relatively easy.

143.2_GS065_image_2.jpg

If someone is interested I can try looking for it. I saw it recently.

The corrugated hose has nothing in it but the wire that actuates the dump in the gooseneck. From right to left: Oceanic Omega II regulator (cold be any standard regulator) the second knurled knob is a standard female IP hose thread adaptor that screws into a hole in the bottom of the BC inflator. Then there’s the BIG DISK with a black rubber diaphragm over it, that’s nothing more than the power inflator actuator. Behind it (above in the photo) is an IP hose that is normal length (it needs to reach back to the first stage). To the right of the inflator actuating button is an oral inflator that you have to push against to either dump or inflate the bag by mouth. As far as I know it was never released in the North American market, I do not know about overseas. If you want I will call friends at MARES and make inquiries, I’m sure they’d love to have you back in the fold.

Thanks Thal, Luis and Nemrod,

When I looked at the picture my old eyes mistook the lp hose for a fabric strap (that I would have done away with). I thought that the hose was routed internal to the corrugated hose. An inflator (I think it was the AT Pack) I used to have, had an internal hose setup. However, it was just for an inflator and not a regulator attachment.

Well, back to the drawing board.....ok Luis, get tooled up.....

We need a short lp hose, a BC elbow with a fitting that goes through the body of the elbow, a corrugated hose, a lp hose that runs on the inside of the corrugated hose, an inflator (balanced of course) with the air fitting running through that also contains an external fitting for a standard regulator or Nimrod's pneumatic drill, hammer, lift bag inflators, hose cutting equipment....yeah....lets make some bucks!

couv

Thanks Thal, Luis and Nemrod,

When I looked at the picture my old eyes mistook the lp hose for a fabric strap (that I would have done away with). I thought that the hose was routed internal to the corrugated hose. An inflator (I think it was the AT Pack) I used to have, had an internal hose setup. However, it was just for an inflator and not a regulator attachment.

Well, back to the drawing board.....ok Luis, get tooled up.....

We need a short lp hose, a BC elbow with a fitting that goes through the body of the elbow, a corrugated hose, a lp hose that runs on the inside of the corrugated hose, an inflator (balanced of course) with the air fitting running through that also contains an external fitting for a standard regulator or Nimrod's pneumatic drill, hammer, lift bag inflators, hose cutting equipment....yeah....lets make some bucks!

couv

Well… they make those corrugated BC hoses that have a channel to snap your LP hose into it. It does look like a streamlined package if that is what you are looking for.

I never used the At Pack, but my understanding is that the hose design was kind of a week link. IMHO it does seem over complicating what should be a very simple design.

SeaQuest / Aqua Lung is one of the companies that offer that type of hose. I am sure you can buy just the hose as a replacement part and use it on any BC. It is not a bad looking hose/ set up if that is what you are looking for. I am just not sure if it may interfere with a quick disconnection of the LP hose.

You guys keep this up and B&W Scuba will be requesting your resume.

Stop what you are doing and breath deeply and slowly until you are able to focus again.

B&W = Bells and Whistles

B&W aye? Who here is still using a MK 7 honker?

Right, mounted on a DCAR.

B&W aye? Who here is still using a MK 7 honker?

And it did great for a week in Cozumel. One of the DMs had seen one before but it was new to most. I dumped enough gas at a couple rest stops to make it honk just for the entertainment.

But I'm not suggesting anyone reinvent it for the 21st century.

Thal - I was surprised that you suggested that the Mares contraption acutually ovwercame any of the perceived drawbacks of a modern octo/inflator.

Thal - I was surprised that you suggested that the Mares contraption acutually ovwercame any of the perceived drawbacks of a modern octo/inflator.
What can I say? It does actually overcome some.

Back
Top Bottom