Octo vs. Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
I ask, and this is not meant as a personal attack, because you seem rather childish in your responces. You, so far, have offered nothing of substance to the discusion.

No, in this case, I'm not really trolling. I take issue with the DIR "cult" mentality. The influence it's had on training and skills I have no problem with, indeed, if it makes for a safer 'average' diver than it's not a bad thing. But I don't feel it's an all or nothing thing, in other words -
I'm not going to drink the koolaid and you can't make me :tongue2:

what is koolaid, how is it connected to DIR?
d-s-f

CIBDiving:
I ask, and this is not meant as a personal attack, because you seem rather childish in your responces. You, so far, have offered nothing of substance to the discusion.

No, in this case, I'm not really trolling. I take issue with the DIR "cult" mentality. The influence it's had on training and skills I have no problem with, indeed, if it makes for a safer 'average' diver than it's not a bad thing. But I don't feel it's an all or nothing thing, in other words -
I'm not going to drink the koolaid and you can't make me :tongue2:
Well, my personal observation, and this is not meant as a personal attack, is that the comments that you have made about DIR tell me that you know absolutely nothing about DIR. But you show a great hatred for the members that you attribute to following it. Given that short sightedness, it doesn't surprise me the conclusions that you have made about me.

JeffG:
... is that the comments that you have made about DIR tell me that you know absolutely nothing about DIR.

Why? You have no idea what I know about DIR. I've shown ( and hold ) no hatred what so ever for Any individual no matter what religion they follow. :wink:
The more you talk the more like a Cult you make DIR sound. You make it sound like DIR can only be understood by a select few who have been passed through the temple and sworn to secrecy. Do you guys have a secret hand shake or maybe a code word so the infidles won't get by?

There is no mystery about DIR and those who think there is are deluding themselves.

This thread becomes more and more valuable from the entertainment point of view.
Please, keep on going. :D

Popcorn? :)

I get the impression that CIB thinks that most DIR divers are arrogant
I don't know , as I've only come accross one diver that treated me in an arrogant fashion. I'm sure that some people with knowledge act in an arrogant fashion to others they deem less knowing, no matter the sport/training/beliefs are
Everyone else has treated me with kindness , even , or especially, after finding out I'm such a noob at this

DB

Guys! Guys! This spat is hijacking the thread!

I'd appreciate your staying on-point--please just tell the community what you think about octo vs. pony and why, providing objective analysis, facts, experiences, and show-and-tell, etc.

There have been many valuable responses to my question, which was: What do you think of this arrangement? Please keep the informative responses coming, so I can be a better diver! Help me tap into the wealth of experience and diversity of perspectives available on this board. If I ever have the priviledge of diving with you, maybe we could pursue the ancillary stuff over a beer....

Regarding DIR, I've bought two books from GUE (thanks to posts onScubaBoard!), and I'm studying them. I think it would be interesting if someone would start a thread on something like "Whys, Hows, Origins and Applicability of DIR." Somebody...?

D_B:
I get the impression that CIB thinks that most DIR divers are arrogant

Then I've given you the wrong impresion and I'm sorry, sometimes my passions get the better of me. Many of the followers of the DIR method are great people, and fun to dive with. Some, however, are arrogant to the point of snobery, although that description doesn't seem to fit anyone on this group.

need to go to work, later

BigTuna:
I think it would be interesting if someone would start a thread on something like "Whys, Hows, Origins and Applicability of DIR." Somebody...?

I think that's prolly been covered, or at least more likely for you to get such answers, in the DIR forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom