Octo vs. Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
I've been to busy giving the DIR guys a bad time to answer you.

I use the EXACT same rigging - although I use a slung pony.
I see no reason to use an octo either. It's of no use if you have a major problem with the main and is instead a failure point.

BUT I dive almost exclusivly solo. I will only dive with team of 3 if I'm not solo ( maybe 1 out of 100 dives). I make sure the others know of and are ok with the Fact that I can't help them fully - only as a stop gap till the other buddy can be brought in.
In other words I don't pretend to be a 'buddy'.

Your setup is wrong for diving with a buddy.

How come?

CIBDiving:
Why? You have no idea what I know about DIR.
I can only go by what you type and that has been high in insult and low on substance.

CIBDiving:
I've shown ( and hold ) no hatred what so ever for Any individual no matter what religion they follow. :wink:
and yet onther jab/poke/insult

CIBDiving:
The more you talk the more like a Cult you make DIR sound. You make it sound like DIR can only be understood by a select few who have been passed through the temple and sworn to secrecy. Do you guys have a secret hand shake or maybe a code word so the infidles won't get by?
Feel free to point out a post of mine that portrays DIR as some kind of secret. Could it be, that you (with your blinders firmly on) will read in whatever you want in a post.

Your hatred is clearly blinding your vision and your reading comprehension.

CIBDiving:
There is no mystery about DIR and those who think there is are deluding themselves.
Never said there was, but I'm sure you think I said it.

You need to decide dive by dive what gear to use and what not to. Even if the gear is just to give you the piece of mind.

I have a lot of gear, stiff fins for current, full foot for snorkeling in the springs. I have many tanks. I love to use a 53 or 63 in the springs, an 80 is an overkill. the dive is much more comfortable with the smaller tank and you get plenty of bottom time in the shallow springs.

I was certfied over 30 years ago, never had an out of air situation, and I never new anyone that had. When I solo dive in the springs, the pony bottle just makes me feel more comfortable and relaxed. Knowing that I will probably not use it and could get to the surface without it. It is something that is just nice to have on some dives.

I would not want to sling a pony, while draging a flag drift diving or carring a spear and bag spear fishing or lobstering.

You just have to do what you feel the most comfortable and safe with.

Almost as entertaining as watching someone don a drysuit, find out it's inhabited by chipmunks :)

jonnythan:
With all due respect, you don't get it. At all. At all. I'm afraid that you never will and you will continue attacking us, without provocation, for a long time to come. This makes me sad.
Unfortunately, some of these attacks are not without provocation. However, many are, and I can't really understand the hysteria over the whole thing. To me, it's not DIR that pisses me off, it's the attitude of the diver. And somtimes, you DO, want to kill the messinger! I learned to dive more than 30 years ago, and there is no doubt, I DONT like to be told that I "dont know what im doing" by some arrogant punk, young, or old. HOWEVER,,, I am a firm beliver in that ANYONE, that stops learning, should put down his (or her) tools, and spend the rest of their time quietly watching. This should apply to any, and all aspects of ones life, not just diving. The concept of DIR was brought to me by accident, I had an oppertunity to see it up close, and in action, and was blown away with with what saw, the level of control was like nothing I had ever seen. I asked questions, and was offered a class in "advanced bouyancy" which kind of hurt my feelings, but I took it anyway. That one class, made me realize how much I had neglected my own training, and I would encourage anyone to not be so prideful, and enjoy what this concept can bring to the table. There is WITHOUT EXCEPTION, no diver that can't take with them, a greater understanding of their sport. And while I don't follow the entire DIR concept of diving, I will never argue over the fact that the concept is nothing short of amazing. It seems a complete turn BACK to the old ways of diving that I learned, only with a greater skill level, and with new tools. I was also introduced to amazing buddy skills, and drills that I found to be fun to learn. I was fortunate to have FRIENDLY, DIR divers there to speak to, and were happy to answer questions I had. Had they been the "other" type, I would have learned nothing, and taken only a bad attitude away with me that day. A good teacher, is one that incourages you to learn, not one that shoves it down your throat.

Suppose he keeps the octo and the pony, would that be a problem?

Hopefully not -- that's what I dive (primary, octo, plus Mr Ed :) )
(And it's what other people, far more experienced, dive in my area)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom