Octo vs. Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving:
Really, don't you think that you should only post this religious mumbojumbo to the "all black cult of the koolaid" section?
It makes my skin crawl.
Ummmm...nothing he said is even close to DIR.

But I understand...sometimes its tough keeping facts straight.

JeffG:
Ummmm...nothing he said is even close to DIR.

No? well who cares - it still sounds like some cult BS. so it's close enough.

JeffG:
But I understand...sometimes its tough keeping facts straight.

Yeah, I've noticed that - "WHAT IS DIR" changes with every person who tries to explain it, Just like a religion!

Oh by the way -- Fish On!

CIBDiving:
No? well who cares - it still sounds like some cult BS. so it's close enough.

Yeah, I've noticed that - "WHAT IS DIR" changes with every person who tries to explain it, Just like a religion!

Oh by the way -- Fish On!
Fish on? <snicker> Yep...feel proud.

JeffG:
Well...we can see you guys coming for miles.
No disagreement there -- my fins are green :) Do I get credit for a black snorkel?

Veggiedog -- good writeup on what you dive. Always interesting to learn how people are fitted out, what works for them.

JeffG:

out here on the west coast we go salmon fishing. when you hook one you yell "fish on' to let the captain know so he can stop trolling. :D

bigtuna:
Did you use an octo on your main rig?

Yes, I have 2 second stages... This is the usual setup I have. MK25 / 550 / 390

Added the pony for a deep dive (U-853) and kept using it all weekend.. Since I had it I tried it out. (It was a 30 cuft.)

I usually do not dive with a pony..

CIBDiving:
out here on the west coast we go salmon fishing. when you hook one you yell "fish on' to let the captain know so he can stop trolling. :D
I understood the reference, I was just wondering why you were happy about it.

markfm:
I actually dive with a Sherwood Shadow+ octo -- one of the jobs that goes in-line with the BCD inflator.
This exchange has gotten me interested in an octo like markfm's Sherwood Shadow Plus, which goes in the BCD inflator line. Some questions about it and its ilk...

- I have an Aqualung BCD in which the inflator hose routes to the left of the corrugated hose. Can the Shadow be used with this? How would I be able to get the mouthpiece to face me instead of away?

- Am I correct that in case of a stuck inflator failure you can disconnect the inflator but still have use of the Shadow?

- Does it ever freeflow?

- Is it convenient to use for inflating a lift bag?

- How does it breathe? I assume it's harder than a primary second stage but still satisfactory for getting one to the surface.

- What inline octo would you say is tops (or, why are these bad)?

- Would it be overcomplicating things to add an in-line air horn with these octos?

BigTuna:
- Am I correct that in case of a stuck inflator failure you can disconnect the inflator but still have use of the Shadow?
Yes.

BigTuna:
- Does it ever freeflow?
All regulators have the potential to freeflow.

BigTuna:
- Is it convenient to use for inflating a lift bag?
No. It is much too short to get under a bag conveniently.

BigTuna:
- How does it breathe? I assume it's harder than a primary second stage but still satisfactory for getting one to the surface.
Most "octo" designs are lacking in performance for my tastes. I use a full fledged "primary" regulator on everything.

jonnythan:
I think it's bad. You could potentially go to the pony 40 minutes into the dive when you run OOA, but get nothing because your pony had a small first stage leak.

I suggest you keep your primary and octo, and carry the pony slung off the left side like a deco bottle. Less regulator clutter, it's easy to manage, easy to keep an eye on, and easy to manipulate the valve.

I was not going to reply, having read this thread late but your reply is a contridiction by itself. You first say that you could have a leak in the first stage of your pony and not have the gas there when you need it. You go on to say if you are going to use one to sling it (i agree with this but for other reasons) so as you say it is "easy to keep an eye on". That being the case you would notice a leak that drained 19ft3 in 40 min I am thinking so.

That said, some could argue that another LP hose on your single first stage is just another hose/o-ring/seperate mechanical component to fail (probably the single most sacastrophic failure you could encounter underwater). This is why an Y valve, H valve, or Pony could be argued is a good idea. For recreational diving it may be overkill but as long as a person knows how to use it and is comfortable with it there really is no problem. For you to make the blenket statement that "it is bad" is totally unfounded.

I personally use a pony occasionally depending what I am doing. I have a 13ft3 that is more then enough to get to the surface for recreational diving where you should not have a deco requirement. In the event of an emergency --as would be the case if I were using my pony-- the recommended safety stop becomes just that --recommended (not an obligation). I like slinging it because if I am leading a dive and someone needs air it is far better and safer for me to give them a pony and clip it to them then it is for me to maintain direct contact. This is a safety issue for me.

No I do not carry it all the time as it really depends on the dive and what I am doing. BUT if I were carrying it I would not have a problem taking off my octo but that is my opinion. That saidyour arguement is pretty week.

Back
Top Bottom