old newbie with a technical question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glypnir:
I admit it is a bit of overkill and redundancy, but it isn't that much money or aggravation. Maybe if I like it, and start diving deeper, I'll put in a second computer instead of the depth gauge.

Regards,
Glypnir

IMO a redundant hard gauge is a good thing. Even if it's just so you have it should the computer land in the shop, you can still dive. Plan your dives with your tables, and dive the plan with the computer as back-up, logging etc. The back-up computer is between your ears.

Pete

Diver Dennis:
As I get older redundancy seems more and more like a good idea and sliding the extra gauges into the opening keeps me streamlined.

Maybe the older part has something to do with it. Plus that fact that I've been programming embedded microcontrollers, applications not all that different from dive computers, since about 1975. As I mentioned earlier, the Cobra is for my wife, the air-sipper. Who doesn't have a second high pressure port on her first stage. For me, the air hog, I've got a vytec and compass on a Suunto retractor. I've ordered an Aeris SPG/depth/compass console for the second HP port, and I'll probably either put it in a pocket or put it on a retractor as well.

After all, the Suunto manual says you should have a redundant system. My dealer says that's just for liability. My answer to that is that I'd rather keep myself and my wife alive and unbent, rather than have either myself or my heirs suing Suunto. Besides the equipment is part of the fun, right?

glypnir:
Maybe the older part has something to do with it. Plus that fact that I've been programming embedded microcontrollers, applications not all that different from dive computers, since about 1975. As I mentioned earlier, the Cobra is for my wife, the air-sipper. Who doesn't have a second high pressure port on her first stage. For me, the air hog, I've got a vytec and compass on a Suunto retractor. I've ordered an Aeris SPG/depth/compass console for the second HP port, and I'll probably either put it in a pocket or put it on a retractor as well.

After all, the Suunto manual says you should have a redundant system. My dealer says that's just for liability. My answer to that is that I'd rather keep myself and my wife alive and unbent, rather than have either myself or my heirs suing Suunto. Besides the equipment is part of the fun, right?

Redundancy is a good idea for sure...

Another thought: If you can't find a gauge that sits nicely on the Cobra, a second option might be to buy a Suunto Mosquito and wear it on your wrist. That way you'd have a backup depth gauge as well as a backup computer to boot (and a cool watch to wear above water as well - great conversation starter). It'd probably cost a bit more to do it that way though...

glypnir:
Diver Dennis:
As I get older redundancy seems more and more like a good idea and sliding the extra gauges into the opening keeps me streamlined.

Welcome to the board!

First, redundancy is never a bad idea but you can go overboard. Before long you've defeated the purpose, turned yourself into a swimming Christmas tree, you're not streamlined, you're working harder, and you're not having any fun.

You've read about a cave diver being bent. You aren't a cave diver and as a newly certified diver, you shouldn't be doing anything that is going to even come close to getting you bent. Remember, depth and time are the variables stay conservative and have fun.

If you're still really worried about it get a second wrist mounted Uwatec or similar bottom timer. It will tell you depth and time that's about it, you can use it to backup your computer and it's not another dangly thing waiting to hangup on something and cause you real problems.

IMO putting all of these guages, retractors, clips, etc is more dangerous than just using the computer itself. Adding another high pressure hose is adding another potential failure point to your gear. The more "stuff" (censoring myself) you add to your gear the more problems you create for yourself.

You're still early in the game but you might consider picking up a copy of "Fundamentals" and reading it before you throw down too much cash on a bunch of stuff you really don't need.

Dave

I am a new diver also, real green. I share your concerns with redundancy and have debated pros and cons in my mind. My profession is System Administration so I am always setting up desigining redundant systems and also having a reliable backup for critical systems. It is hard for me not to go overboard with that mindset because the dive industry certainly has soulitions for anythign you can dream up. But also the "christmas tree" comment hit home Also the comment that I am not doing cave diving or anything high risk like that.

One thing I did get was a Timex Helix watch. It will start and stop a timer when it goes below 5 feet. It is handy for a backup bottom timer and also a depth and temp info, I bought it for $40 and consider it a easy addition. I have chcked it against a depth gague and it is the same readings. It unly updates every 5 seconds so it is not ideal but it is better than nothing. In my mind that takes care of gague/computer failure. Now the other nut to crack is a redundant air supply thing. Spare air or pony or is it me being too careful (is there such a thing)

Welcome!

Did my OW for my 50th birthday last summer and never looked back. Did AOW and will start Nitrox July 6th.

Only regret is I didn't do it 30 years ago.

BTW...$40.00 Timex Helix wrist watch does the redundant depth/time monitor to my Oceanic Data Pro Plus 2 for me just fine. They match up +/- a foot or 2.

Have fun and safe diving :)

Like others have said redundancy is good, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

I love wrist mounted gauges, you could opt for a wrist mounted computer (mosquito) or just a bottom timer/depth gauge (D3 and other cheaper versions on the market). They also make wrist mounted compasses.

Also, in terms of a guage failing, if you are diving with a buddy and you have already decided that your max depth for the dive is 70'. If your buddy tries to go deeper you know that something is wrong. In other words, your buddies gear is your back up gear. Now, to be fair, I do personally use a guage on each wrist, but there are some things I only have one of: spg, compass etc.

Diver0001:
The cobra is a computer. it already shows you your depth. Why would you want to attach another depth gauge to that?

R..

Just yesterday my son and I noticed that his old Oceanic Prodigy computer was off by over 20 fsw. For the last few dives, he was getting into deco much sooner than me and we just thought that it was because his computer was older and more conservative. Turns out, the depth was off by 20 feet. It didn't much matter because we always pretty much know the depth to the bottom before we get in the water, and we have redundant computers, but had we really needed the depth gauge on that computer, it would have been inaccurate.

If you're not going to trust the cobra......Why spend all that $$ on it??

just buy guages and dive tables.......... or don't you trust them either :wink:

Back
Top Bottom