OMS IQ Pack or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a OMS bp and i love it. super strong and well made.
for a wing i (had) the diverite venture wing but it was too small. i needed more lift. so tonight i just pick up a Halcyon Pioneer wing. with 45lbs. i didnt get to try it out yet but from what i can see its realy well constructed. i also have diverite pockets and weight bags. all companys have nice gear. buy what you like and what type of diving you do. because theres somthing difrent for everyone.

FIXXERVI6:
this is just my opinion but OMS is super junk. I can say this because I own it and have used it, but if you like OMS, good for you,
Got any specifics you’d like to share or are you just going to stay with the sweeping generalization?

1. the plastic piecies, two piece harness systems the waist goes staight through the plate and the shoulder straps come down and double back upon itself using plastic to hold this in place, and its not very beefy looking plastic either. I hate plastic on my gear and this stuff is covered in it.

2. the fit in a standard single piece harness once its dialed in, its dialed in, if I want the plate an inch higher, I adjust the harness and pop, its in inch higher, always, with the adjustable harness of OMS its not the same, hard to explain, like to move it higher up my back it brings it tighter on my shoulders to make it happen.

3. the adjustments "dangle" not that its an entaglement hazard its just annoying, with the way I mount my lights between the plastic double back deal for the shoulders and the little dangle flaps of a few inches it makes it a pain in the rump to mount the lights under my arms and deploy neatly, it just sucks for that, I won't even talk about the quick releases, for the fact that they exist and their locations.

4. the padding is overkill, in a no wet suit dive som padding would be nice but this thing is padded up like your going to dive double bauchats (spell)

5. Price, I can't think of even 1 advantage, but a few disadvantages and it costs more on top of that, waste of money.

6. and thats just the harness, I won't touch the wings but for now I'll leave it here since this is not a spec wing thread**

** I've been told this one doesn't count so forget you read it, number 6 is not vaild

FIXXERVI6:
6. and thats just the harness, I won't touch the wings but for now I'll leave it here since this is not a spec wing thread

Then you can't include... #6. :D

FIXXERVI6:
1. the plastic piecies, two piece harness systems the waist goes staight through the plate and the shoulder straps come down and double back upon itself using plastic to hold this in place, and its not very beefy looking plastic either. I hate plastic on my gear and this stuff is covered in it.

2. the fit in a standard single piece harness once its dialed in, its dialed in, if I want the plate an inch higher, I adjust the harness and pop, its in inch higher, always, with the adjustable harness of OMS its not the same, hard to explain, like to move it higher up my back it brings it tighter on my shoulders to make it happen.

3. the adjustments "dangle" not that its an entaglement hazard its just annoying, with the way I mount my lights between the plastic double back deal for the shoulders and the little dangle flaps of a few inches it makes it a pain in the rump to mount the lights under my arms and deploy neatly, it just sucks for that, I won't even talk about the quick releases, for the fact that they exist and their locations.

4. the padding is overkill, in a no wet suit dive som padding would be nice but this thing is padded up like your going to dive double bauchats (spell)

5. Price, I can't think of even 1 advantage, but a few disadvantages and it costs more on top of that, waste of money.

6. and thats just the harness, I won't touch the wings but for now I'll leave it here since this is not a spec wing thread**

** I've been told this one doesn't count so forget you read it, number 6 is not vaild

Except for the price comment, all your concerns apply to all soft packs in the market today, so it would be better to say that all soft packs are crap for the reasons you describe and not say that OMS brand is junk.

I could also say junk is not OMS, but OMS is junk

Junk ≠OMS

OMS = Junk

OMS is just another form of Junk

I do like just their plates tho if you strip all the stuff off of it, the metal plate is just fine.

I don't dive soft packs either

If your going to dive a backplate, just start with the good stuff from the start and avoid the plastic, and save money at the same time, its a logical choice, pay more for less quality for pay less for more quality, pretty easy pick.

FIXXERVI6:

Junk ≠OMS

OMS = Junk

I do like just their plates tho if you strip all the stuff off of it, the metal plate is just fine.

If your going to dive a backplate, just start with the good stuff from the start and avoid the plastic, and save money at the same time, its a logical choice, pay more for less quality for pay less for more quality, pretty easy pick.

Well, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but honestly it doesn't make sense to me.
Seems to me that for some reason you're biased, and that's OK with me.

I can accept the higher price tag issue, but there isn't much difference lets say from DR.

I own Dive Rite TPII with a travel wing and OMS SS BP with a 45# bungied bladder and a 32# non banded bladder.
I have to say that generally speaking OMS is higher quality than DR, I'm not saying that DR is bad, it's just a bit lower in quality and crafmanship, hence the lower price. Both brands are perfectly good for any kind of diving.

I've beated to death the OMS gear for the last yr and it has never failed and looks almost new after close to 125 dives in salt water with it, the only thing that has degraded in this gear is the embroided logo on the bladder and on the neoperene shoulder pads.

your coments about junk just doesn't add up my friend.

I hope your gear isn't junk
I hope your skill isn't junk.
I hope you have many international travels out of TX. You aren't living in the center of world.......

Many excellent tech divers around the world are using the junk that you called.

FIXXERVI6:

Junk ≠OMS

OMS = Junk

I'm sure they are, and I'm sure its working just fine for them as I too own OMS stuff and dive with it on a regular basis.

I do not hold a high opinion of the transpac from initial inspection but can not comment on it as I have never used it.

I prefer a single piece harness over the Dive Rite deluxe harness, and I'm never stated Dive rite as the best product on the market, I also mentioned other's that I think are better, I just happen to own dive rite and most likely my next plate rig will not be dive rite, but I'll take it over OMS.

And I do travel outside of TX, but I do not stop to inspect everyones gear, because I don't care what they have, I dive what I dive because I like it, if you like OMS, good for ya hope it works out, but if someone asks my opinion, I'm going to give it.

Ditch the plastic, quick releases, cut back on the padding and I wouldn't hold such a low opinion of OMS.

Again it all comes back to why would I want to pay more for something like that, its fluff that gets in the way. Something as simple as switching from plastic to metal would REALLY change up how I look at the stuff.

I've tried to be open minded with my gear choices and its cost me a hell of a lot of money, a LOT where I wish someone would have told me from day one, hey, don't get that, its crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom