Opinions on a Mares BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chutton47

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking getting my first BC. I know I really just have to get out there and try some but I have really been looking at the Mares Hybrid or Hybrid Tec. Anyone diving these or have?

I've seen 3 separate cases (2 different models of BC, 3 different divers) of Mares weight integrated pockets coming undone unintentionally during a dive. Their securing clip is just too small IMO; I wouldn't trust the pockets if you fully load them with their rated amount of weight.

The simple Mares BCD is IMO a good one- the fancier models are a bit iffy. That goes for pretty much any BCD on the market.

KISS is the key to a good BCD.

Trim pockets, rear dump, a couple of D-rings, 2 side pockets (with strong zip or strong velcro), maybe integrated weights. I have integrated weights on my Seaquest Balance, never actually use them. I'm happy with a weightbelt for 4kg or less. If I'm in colder water it's nice to have the option of integrated to spread the load.

Wow - That Hybrid Tec looks gigantic. Even the "regular" Hybrid looks to have incredibly bulky pocket areas.

I too have read quite a few threads hear of Mares weight pockets falling out. I actually opted against a Mares BC due to the issues, choosing a similarly designed Aeris instead. I have since changed to a different type BC which I greatly prefer but I don't want to mention the style for fear of being "that guy"

Plus 1 on the Mares Dragon. An excellent BC. I've also used a Mares Icon, and my son has a Mares Prestige. Never an issue with the weight pouches. Because they don't use velcro as part of the mechanical attachment system, like an Oceanic for example, I have a strong feeling that most if not all of the "falling out" issues are the result of not making sure they have properly clicked into place.

I looked at the mares and liked the Hybred, so did my wife. But in the end I decided to get a express tec by Zeagle.
My wife narrowed it down to the Mares hybred vs the Scuba pro Ladyhawk (nighthawk is the mens version)

SO while I can not say anything bad about the Mares Hybred I can say good things about the other 2. The reason that my wife went with the scuba pro is taht we got a great deal on a new (last years model)

Highflier

I used to dive a basic mares and i've lost a pocket and the only dive buddy i semi-regularily dive with that has a mares bcd lost both his pockets - that said i think mblazer is right and if you are extra careful about making sure they click into place i think there is a very low chance of losing the pocket (it is very easy to jump in without them clicked in properly however).

testmmm

Mares BCDs have a decidedly mixed reputation when it comes to integrated weights. Complaints that a weight pocket just falls out of place, especially in the prone, face-down position, are a fixture of virtually every consumer review thread on a Mares BCD I've ever seen.

That said, lots of people report no problems with their integrated weights at all. It's one of those things where I think if you are considering buying a Mares BCD, go do your homework and see how comfortable you are afterward. There is enough static that it ought to be taken seriously, but not so much that it is a closed case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom