Opinions re gear soon to be purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are doing a lot of travel to places like Cozumel, you might want to look at a Zeagle that packs up a bit smaller like a Zeagle Brigade or a Zeagle Scout if you don't need much lead. The rangers are wonderful BC's, but the size of the bladder which is really designed for dual tanks may not be perfect for the traveling diver. I also like what Zeagle did with their regs over the Apeks - they are such a good, customer service oriented US company, it's hard to not look at their offerings before pulling the trigger.

Thanks ScubaToys for the input. By the way, I plan on buying at least my Zeagle BC from you guys. Great website and I have heard a lot of good things about your store!

I am a new diver (only 10 dives in Cozumel to date) and new to this forum, and I'm about to pull the trigger on my first set of gear. Any comments, opinions, pro's or cons re the following set-up?

1. BCD = Zeagle Ranger

2. Regulator = Apeks XTX200

3. Octopus = Apeks XTX40

4. Computer = Aeris Atmos Al Air Integrated Console with
Compass & Quick Disconnect

My main priority is a top-notch regulator -- probably because on my 9th dive in Cozumel, the 1st stage of my regulator (rental equipment, no doubt) got stuck at 85 feet....not fun.

Thanks for any input.

Personally I prefer a backplate and wing setup, though as far as non-bp/w rigs go the Ranger has a very good reputation. I just wanted to mention backplates and wings since many new divers haven't heard about them even though they should check them out before buying a BCD.

Also, I prefer wrist mounted computers and compasses. They are just easier to look at. For SPG I use a small glass/brass gauge clipped to my left hip d-ring, but an AI transmitter/computer would be pretty cool too, though apparently they are not quite up to snuff yet on reliability.

The Apeks regs have a very good reputation in tech and DIR circles. Just make sure you get it with the hose lengths you want to use. The default hose lengths usually suck, but sometimes they let you change them for free or just a little extra. For single tanks I'd choose either a 40" primar hose with a swivel elbow or a 5' hose, or 7' if you plan to get into tech and cave diving. And I use a bungeed backup which requires a 22" hose, though some prefer 24". For SPG I use a 24" HP hose. The optimal LP inflator hose length depends on the BCD and the corrugated hose on it. For a typical single tank wing with a 14" corrugated hose I go with 20" LP inflator hose. Some prefer 22". (If the corrugated hose is 2" longer, for example, then the LP hose also needs to be 2" longer, but I don't know how it works for the rangers).

Personally I prefer a backplate and wing setup, though as far as non-bp/w rigs go the Ranger has a very good reputation. I just wanted to mention backplates and wings since many new divers haven't heard about them even though they should check them out before buying a BCD.

Also, I prefer wrist mounted computers and compasses. They are just easier to look at. For SPG I use a small glass/brass gauge clipped to my left hip d-ring, but an AI transmitter/computer would be pretty cool too, though apparently they are not quite up to snuff yet on reliability.

The Apeks regs have a very good reputation in tech and DIR circles. Just make sure you get it with the hose lengths you want to use. The default hose lengths usually suck, but sometimes they let you change them for free or just a little extra. For single tanks I'd choose either a 40" primar hose with a swivel elbow or a 5' hose, or 7' if you plan to get into tech and cave diving. And I use a bungeed backup which requires a 22" hose, though some prefer 24". For SPG I use a 24" HP hose. The optimal LP inflator hose length depends on the BCD and the corrugated hose on it. For a typical single tank wing with a 14" corrugated hose I go with 20" LP inflator hose. Some prefer 22". (If the corrugated hose is 2" longer, for example, then the LP hose also needs to be 2" longer, but I don't know how it works for the rangers).

Thanks Floater, that's very helpful. I am 'familiar' with backplates and wings, but I need to learn more about the combo. Out of curiosity, why do you prefer this over a BCD like the Ranger?

Thanks Floater, that's very helpful. I am 'familiar' with backplates and wings, but I need to learn more about the combo. Out of curiosity, why do you prefer this over a BCD like the Ranger?

I do tech and cave diving for which backplates are preferred. You can just switch from a small wing used for rec diving to a larger 40# doubles wing for small doubles and then to 50-60# wing for large doubles and multiple deco bottles/stages. And you can even get one of those tiny ~18# wings for warm water diving in the tropics.

Now if I only did rec diving (which was the case at the time I bought my first bp/w rig) I would still have chosen the backplate and wing option just in case I later wanted to get into tech diving and because it's the most flexible system out there with no unnecessary extras, except what you add yourself. Basically I saw several potential benefits to bp/w rigs over other BCD's and no particular disadvantages. There are several old threads in which people have long bp/w vs. other BCD debates, I suggest you check out some of those.

For what it's worth, the reason that I became interested in the Apeks regulators is because, eventually (i.e. after much more experience), I want to get into tech diving. It's my understanding that the Apeks is versatile -- that it is extremely reliable and performs great for deeper and colder dives, yet is also outstanding for shallower, warm water reef dives. I have wondered if the ScubaPro MX17/S555 is as good as the Apeks I'm looking at....if so, I could save a little bit of money, although the Apeks is within my budget.
Both excellent regulators, and so is the top of the line from virtually all the manufacturers. MARES PROTON, great reg, OCEANIC DELTA 4, great reg, etc. None of them will disappoint you.

Just in case you're not confused enough yet, have you considered the Zeagle ZX-DSV regulator for a very high performing reg, but at a much more affordable price compared to the XTX 200? It can handle tech diving as well, and is sealed and cold water capable with the best of them.

Just in case you're not confused enough yet, have you considered the Zeagle ZX-DSV regulator for a very high performing reg, but at a much more affordable price compared to the XTX 200? It can handle tech diving as well, and is sealed and cold water capable with the best of them.

Not confused at all. I really appreciate all the input I've received, but allow me to confuse things a little. Any opinions re the Poseidon Cyklon 5000 or Poseidon Xstream Deep/Dive? Have yet to see many posts about this brand.

as mentioned before, the size of the ranger can be tough if you travel a lot. I have both the ranger and brigade and it was a pain to travel with, especially to places where you would need to travel in small planes. I still use my brigade to conduct class, but i travel with a kydex DSS bp/w as they are really light and easy to pack.

I have the Apeks ATX200/ATX40 combo and a cobra AI computer. but i will ditch the AI console and going to a Galileo in the next few weeks. Initially I thought i would like the AI console, but after a few dives, I discovered I prefer wrist mounted for easy access. I suggest you try them for a few more dives before deciding on a purchase. nothing beats experiencing it yourself.

Any opinions re the Poseidon Cyklon 5000 or Poseidon Xstream Deep/Dive? Have yet to see many posts about this brand.

I suggest you do title search on those regs. I haven't tried them but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Poseidon regs use some non-standard hoses or other parts and generally cost more to service than other regs. As for performance, a lot of people love them.

For what it's worth, the reason that I became interested in the Apeks regulators is because, eventually (i.e. after much more experience), I want to get into tech diving.

I am a new diver (only 10 dives in Cozumel to date) and new to this forum, and I'm about to pull the trigger on my first set of gear. Any comments, opinions, pro's or cons re the following set-up?

1. BCD = Zeagle Ranger
2. Regulator = Apeks XTX200
3. Octopus = Apeks XTX40
4. Computer = Aeris Atmos Al Air Integrated Console with
Compass & Quick Disconnect

My opinions,bearing in mind you might get into technical diving one day:

1) Get a BP/Wing
2)Get an Apeks TX/ATX/XTX 50 and save some money
3)XTX40 is fine. Personally I would go with a TX/ATX/XTX 50 for the backup as well as I like having the adjustment.
4)Do not get an air integrated computer. Whatever you choose put it on your wrist.

If I had bought a BP/W for my first set of gear I would have saved myself the trouble of buying 2 BC's along the way.
I still use my original model computer (Aeris Atmos Pro) although on some dives it just gets bent and reverts to being a bottom timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom