Opinions re gear soon to be purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A BP with 80 pounds of tanks on it might not be comfortable for a hike but we are not hiking, we are diving. I might note that a vest or back inflate integrated cumberbund BC will not be comfortable either with 80 pounds since it could not possibly even hold 80 pounds to begin with. The facts are that in the water a BP/wing is far more comfortable than loosely fitted generic vest/back inflate --to me---others may vary. I hate all the bulk of a vest or back inflate and all that padding. N

Unless you have experience with trying on a BP/W or even better diving with one, I wouldn't really reccomend them. What BC have all your dives been with so far (jacket or back-inflate?)

If your experience is anything like mine (or anyone I know personally), it will be a long time until you get into tech diving. Sure, BP/W's are great for some people, but I can't even imagine how "comfortable" the raw 2'' webbing would be carring around 80+ lbs worht of steel tanks. Don't think of this as your last reg, and your last BC ever. Buy what works, and what you want.

I am not a tech diver and probably never will be one either. I am an out of shape middle aged woman. I was told to stay clear from the "tech gear" and that it would be uncomfortable and hard to use. That since I am only going to do rec diving to stay in the jacket.

Well, I purchased a rig from Golem Gear, Inc. the #35 wing and stainless steel plate. Could have purchased a rig from Deep Sea Supply, Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS or any other bp/w and got positive results. My back plate and wing is the single best scuba purchase I have made. It IS COMFORTABLE! Those 2 inch straps don't cut into my pudgy body. If I loose more weight--13 pounds and counting down--I won't have to purchase a new rig--I will just keep moving the the buckle on the harness.

It is easy to dive. I am more stable on the surface than I was in a jacket and it is easier surface. I did a pretty goo surface swim just a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at how much easier it was for me and how much more relaxed I was on the surface. If you do a search you will find where I posted in the past about being nervous on the surface. Now that I am diving a bp/w that feeling is gone.

My bp/w did take me some time to set it up and fit the straps to me, but it was worth the effort. It was a bit of a struggle to set up, but it has paid off in I have enjoyed my diving so much more. In the water it feels like I have almost nothing on at all.

For some people a jacket is the way to go. I am not saying jackets are bad. Many people love their jackets and do quite well with them. I am saying the things that people told me would be a problem with a bp/w have been anything but a problem for me personally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom