Opinions re gear soon to be purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinions,bearing in mind you might get into technical diving one day:

1) Get a BP/Wing
2)Get an Apeks TX/ATX/XTX 50 and save some money
3)XTX40 is fine. Personally I would go with a TX/ATX/XTX 50 for the backup as well as I like having the adjustment.
4)Do not get an air integrated computer. Whatever you choose put it on your wrist.

If I had bought a BP/W for my first set of gear I would have saved myself the trouble of buying 2 BC's along the way.
I still use my original model computer (Aeris Atmos Pro) although on some dives it just gets bent and reverts to being a bottom timer.

Even if he never transitions into technical diving, he'll appreciate the config. you listed above.

I did the same thing, started with a jacket BC with all of the hoopty crap... including a snorkel!

I sold it all on ebay and got a back plate/wing and apeks regulators. Changing was, hands down, the best gear investment I've ever done. I too, wish I had some honest advice from the LDS. But, they didn't sell back plates or wings. My guess, there is more money to be made for the LDS to sell all of the "hoopty" crap.

I love my Poseidons, but they're the older Cyclon 300 model, find a used one, incredible regulator.

Yep. Buy good stuff,dive it anywhere. (Bonaire or the Doria)
Repeat. Year after year after year

I noticed that you dive trimix spare air. Is there a way to double 'em up? Maybe use a pony with the spare air?

I noticed that you dive trimix spare air. Is there a way to double 'em up? Maybe use a pony with the spare air?

You probably could manifold the 2 spare airs together but I prefer to dive them independantly for the extra redundancy. (I have been called a stroke for doing this though)

The new Galileo Sol works great with this setup. I put one transmitter on my back gas,one on each of the spare airs and the fourth on my pony.

I carry a laminated copy of the pdf manual for it in my left dry suit pocket so I can always look up which button to press next.

auburntiger1976:
I am a new diver ... Any comments, opinions, pro's or cons re the following set-up? 1. BCD = Zeagle Ranger; 2. Regulator = Apeks XTX200; 3. Octopus = Apeks XTX40; 4. Computer = Aeris Atmos Al Air Integrated Console with
Compass & Quick Disconnect
Well, you certainly got a lot of opinions, and the advice is good, even if conflicting at times. Basically, there is no one 'RIGHT' approach to take. So, I will comment on your orginal rig outline.
1. Ranger - great BC. Yes, it is a bit bulky but I have traveled with mine without difficulty. Yes, based on my personal evolution I would suggest you at least consider a backplate and wing. But, I started with a Ranger and it is still a very comfortable rig, even if I have moved to a BP/W configuration almost exclusively. You can always evolve to the backplate as you progress. 2. The Apeks XTX200 - great reg. If you eventually move toward technical, you will probably buy a second one and use them for your doubles. If you are in an area where there is a LDS you like and trust, and they service Apeks, by all means go for it! You won't regret buying a XTX200. I use a Zeagle ZX50D for singles, and two ATX200s for my doubles. Love them both. 3. I must agree with the multiple comments about the computer. Consider non-AI, and definitely consider a wrist unit, especially if you might transition toward tec at some point. I have a Suunto Vytec (AI) which I love, but find I don't need the AI function. Yes, it is nice, but not essential. I don't use the transmitter on my doubles, only on my Zeagle singles reg. Even then, I am used to checking my SPG. If you go with the outfit you described, you will not regret it. Good choices. Your preferences will evolve to an extent, irrespective of whatever rig you go with, so don't fret over the first purchase too much. Just buy it and dive it (a lot).

Well, you certainly got a lot of opinions, and the advice is good, even if conflicting at times. Basically, there is no one 'RIGHT' approach to take. So, I will comment on your orginal rig outline.
1. Ranger - great BC. Yes, it is a bit bulky but I have traveled with mine without difficulty. Yes, based on my personal evolution I would suggest you at least consider a backplate and wing. But, I started with a Ranger and it is still a very comfortable rig, even if I have moved to a BP/W configuration almost exclusively. You can always evolve to the backplate as you progress. 2. The Apeks XTX200 - great reg. If you eventually move toward technical, you will probably buy a second one and use them for your doubles. If you are in an area where there is a LDS you like and trust, and they service Apeks, by all means go for it! You won't regret buying a XTX200. I use a Zeagle ZX50D for singles, and two ATX200s for my doubles. Love them both. 3. I must agree with the multiple comments about the computer. Consider non-AI, and definitely consider a wrist unit, especially if you might transition toward tec at some point. I have a Suunto Vytec (AI) which I love, but find I don't need the AI function. Yes, it is nice, but not essential. I don't use the transmitter on my doubles, only on my Zeagle singles reg. Even then, I am used to checking my SPG. If you go with the outfit you described, you will not regret it. Good choices. Your preferences will evolve to an extent, irrespective of whatever rig you go with, so don't fret over the first purchase too much. Just buy it and dive it (a lot).

True.. dive the heck out of the hoopty stuff, then replace it with something simpler and more streamlined the next year or two. :)

I was trying to offer some money saving advice. I know many people who went throught this same "process" only to replace lots of costly gear within a year or two. Including ME!

You probably could manifold the 2 spare airs together but I prefer to dive them independantly for the extra redundancy. (I have been called a stroke for doing this though)

The new Galileo Sol works great with this setup. I put one transmitter on my back gas,one on each of the spare airs and the fourth on my pony.

I carry a laminated copy of the pdf manual for it in my left dry suit pocket so I can always look up which button to press next.

maybe I don't get out much, but I think this is funny as hell...

Thanks!!

Ok. After obsessing over this the last couple of days, I have made up my mind to buy a backplate/wings setup....don't know which specific setup yet, however. Any opinions are appreciated. For my regulator, it is between the Apeks XTX200, Aqualung Legend, and Zeagle with corresponding octopus. Also, I have decided on a wrist mounted computer, the Oceanic Geo. I will also get a "glass and brass" SPG on a shorter hose and clip it.

From all of the reading of different posts, etc., I just think that a blackplate/wings setup will benefit me the most. I have had the opportunity to try the regular vest BCD and hated it...couldn't see anything below me, plus harder to get horizontal. I loved the back inflate, so I imagine I will really love the backplate/wings.

Again, you guys have been really helpful and I appreciate your opinions and insight.

due to interest in tech down the road, why not save money and instead of a TX200 go with the simple DS4/XTX 50, great for singles, doubles, stages.

Yeah go with Back plate and wings. back plate is a back plate is a back plate, that said Deep Sea Supply makes back plates that are a little flatter than others (minor detail but I like it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom