Opinions re gear soon to be purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. After obsessing over this the last couple of days, I have made up my mind to buy a backplate/wings setup....don't know which specific setup yet, however. Any opinions are appreciated. For my regulator, it is between the Apeks XTX200, Aqualung Legend, and Zeagle with corresponding octopus. Also, I have decided on a wrist mounted computer, the Oceanic Geo. I will also get a "glass and brass" SPG on a shorter hose and clip it.

From all of the reading of different posts, etc., I just think that a blackplate/wings setup will benefit me the most. I have had the opportunity to try the regular vest BCD and hated it...couldn't see anything below me, plus harder to get horizontal. I loved the back inflate, so I imagine I will really love the backplate/wings.

Again, you guys have been really helpful and I appreciate your opinions and insight.

If I was buying a wing now I'd probably get the Oxycheq Mach V or Mach V Extreme 30# for cold water diving. Their Mach V Razor 18# would be great for tropical warm water dives, but too little lift elsewhere.

I currently use an Oxycheq Razor (Standard) 30# wing (bladderless), but it's a little outdated. The Mach V series is narrower (which is better) so even though I prefer bladderless wings for (non-wreck) rec diving I still wouldn't recommend the Razor in case it gets replaced one of these days by a narrower Mach V version like their 18 pounder did. In any case, I prefer donut wings over horseshoes.

For plates, I have a DSS kydex plate for warm water/travel and a DSS steel plate for colder water - both with a hog harness. They are the only plates I've tried and certainly very nice with some special features, but I have nothing to compare them to. Unless I was buying a DSS bp/w package I'd probably get one of the cheaper plates (like a Hammerhead). Many people say a plate is a plate and slight differences in them don't matter so much, but I couldn't say.

Unless you have experience with trying on a BP/W or even better diving with one, I wouldn't really reccomend them. What BC have all your dives been with so far (jacket or back-inflate?)

I can't say much about that specific Apeks reg, other than that Apeks is a very popular company for regulators (and well liked from what I understand). I would reccomend looking at the Mares Abyss, or even one of the higher-end Proton regulators (Mares as well).

If your experience is anything like mine (or anyone I know personally), it will be a long time until you get into tech diving. Sure, BP/W's are great for some people, but I can't even imagine how "comfortable" the raw 2'' webbing would be carring around 80+ lbs worht of steel tanks. Don't think of this as your last reg, and your last BC ever. Buy what works, and what you want.

As far as AI goes, I have an AI computer in a console (Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with QD). It's a great computer, easy to read, etc. If I wasn't going to go AI, I'd get a small SPG to clip off on my left hip, and get the Oceanic Geo for my wrist.

Sorry if this confuses your more, just my 2 cents!

Ok. After obsessing over this the last couple of days, I have made up my mind to buy a backplate/wings setup....don't know which specific setup yet, however. Any opinions are appreciated.

Welcome :wink:

Are you planning on getting a stainless plate or an aluminum one? Aluminum plates are typically 5 pounds lighter and tend to work well with steel tanks. Lighter (obviously!) for travelling.
Steel plates are good for Al tanks and saltwater (need less weight on your belt)

Depends on the sort of diving you will be doing but yet more to think about!

Why do threads like this come along with the regularity of sunrise and sunset? It is a good thing to research and study your needs but exactly what will be gained. If somebody dissagrees with the equipment choice (which has usually been purchased already) then fur flies, if responders do agree with it then so what. None of the listed gear would remotely interest me, especialy the air integrated console thingy and the Zeagle cumberbunded air bag but that is me. If you like something then get it but why seek group approval, I am not sure what the OPs on threads like this seek thus making it diffucult to provide a good response? I say take it all back, get a aluminum BP and Mach V or the DSS similar set up, a wrist computer and guages and a plain good old weight belt. That is a flexible system you can grow with. I don't know what makes a good regulator vs a bad one, they are all plastic and all of them meet some rudimentary industry standard. Save some money and get a mid range AL Titan or similar.

N

Why do threads like this come along with the regularity of sunrise and sunset? It is a good thing to research and study your needs but exactly what will be gained. If somebody dissagrees with the equipment choice (which has usually been purchased already) then fur flies, if responders do agree with it then so what. None of the listed gear would remotely interest me, especialy the air integrated console thingy and the Zeagle cumberbunded air bag but that is me. If you like something then get it but why seek group approval, I am not sure what the OPs on threads like this seek thus making it diffucult to provide a good response? I say take it all back, get a aluminum BP and Mach V or the DSS similar set up, a wrist computer and guages and a plain good old weight belt. That is a flexible system you can grow with. I don't know what makes a good regulator vs a bad one, they are all plastic and all of them meet some rudimentary industry standard. Save some money and get a mid range AL Titan or similar.

N

Thanks, but my initial post requesting opinions re the gear listed is no different than a person walking into a couple of different dive shops and asking someone with firsthand knowledge of the equipment, their opinion. Sure, I do my own research, but it's not a bad thing to get input from people who may have actually used/owned/tested the equipment, as opposed to getting input from people who have read the same articles that I have on the web. I don't buy stuff blindly, especially when that stuff can cost a couple thousand dollars and my life depends on it. Maybe you didn't notice in my initial post where I indicated that I am a new diver and haven't a clue, compared to experienced divers on this forum, of the quality and reliability of certain equipment. I'm not looking for stuff that is pretty. And, by the way, I have yet to purchase anything and I'm not seeking "group approval," just opinions, hence the title of this thread. But, I do appreciate your opinion re the backplate/wings setup.

All I am saying is that thread after similar thread of this type, all of these are like asking which girl to marry or what car to get or which puppy to take home. Well, I suppose if you take anoher's advice and she doesn't work out and goes home to mommy or the puppy bites then you got somebody to blame :wink:.

N

Sure, BP/W's are great for some people, but I can't even imagine how "comfortable" the raw 2'' webbing would be carring around 80+ lbs worht of steel tanks.

I just finished 2 weeks diving a BP/W without a wetsuit or even T-shirt. The webbing is perfectly comfortable - if you have take the time to adjust the straps properly they don't rub or chafe in the slightest. The first week was diving big steel-108 tanks too.

And most people dive with at least a T-shirt or some neoprene between their skin and the webbing.

No, and I never said I had. I have been diving with partners who have been using them, but I do have limited exposure to them. So yes, all my thoughts are just that, thoughts.

I recommend looking at both Dive Rite and Deep Sea Supply setups, they are the best in my opinion.

One thing I would highly recommend is hooking up with a mentor with some experience in using backplate and wings and doing the kind of diving you would like to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom