Order of importance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets not forget here that as long as you rent a suit, you are renting something that someone else has relieved themselves in. May not matter to you, but it bugs some people. If I had it to do over again I'd probably get the suit first and a computer next. The computer is gonna dramatically improve your bottom time unless you are diving a very rigid plan.

A

PS. DIR guys, I swear I only use it in gauge-mode now...

jennasnyder1980:
jjs,

Do you buy second hand off of ebay? How can you ensure that the reg is in good condition?

I may look into that. I know this may sound silly, but I feel bad not buying from a LDS because I know it must be hard to operate one and compete with online stores and sellers.

Thanks for the help
jen

You need to take into account that anything bought second hand will need to be checked over before using, and you should always save enough to make sure it is worthwhile. I would be confident doing this myself, you sound like you need some support, again find some serious divers local to you they will be able to help you in many ways.

LDS - only local while you are ! My home relationships are nearly worthless now that I have moved away.

My opinions, and most people disagree with me:

1st priority: exposure suit. It's personal equipment. It's all over your skin. It's like underwear, and I won't wear other people's underwear. Also, like a mask, fit is everything. Buy it locally. Try on a lot of them and buy the one that fits right. Don't try them on locally, then buy online. That's not ethical to use stores that carry stock as a free fitting service.

2nd priority (and here is where my opinion differs from many): regulator. One, it's also personal. People put them in their mouths and breath into them. I'm happy to swap spit with my wife, and I would with my girlfriend if I could find one, but I avoid sharing toothbrushes with strangers even if they are washed thoroughly. In an emergency, sure, no problem. But not on a regular basis with a wide variety of who knows who. Two, It's most important that you know that your reg is in proper working order and that it has been properly cared for. Most rental regs are kept well serviced, but not all are. It's a crap shoot to rent.

BCs vary quite a bit not only in general styles, but also between models of the same style. The differences can only be felt properly in the water, not in a store. Rent a bunch of different kinds before buying and try them in the water. It's the only way you'll get to see what you like. (And you may have to look long and hard to find a place to try out a BP/W, but I think it may be worth it to you.) In contrast, buying any reputable reg, even without trying before buying, will work out for you for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom