Origins of Mask Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax Teller

Reaction score
# of dives
So how do you suppose the first mask clearing went? What made that person think, "If I do this, then I'll be able to put my mask back on, and there won't be any water in it! I'm a GENIUS!"

Who was that very first gutsy dude (or dudet)?

So how do you suppose the first mask clearing went? What made that person think, "If I do this, then I'll be able to put my mask back on, and there won't be any water in it! I'm a GENIUS!"

Who was that very first gutsy dude (or dudet)?

I have no idea, but he was nowhere near as gutsy as the first one to eat an oyster.

Haha!

I'll bet that person who ate the oyster did so out of desperation. Well, either that or a dare on a late Friday night after a few rounds with Dr. Jack Daniels!

On a side note, I just noticed that I've been promoted! WOO-HOO! I'm now a Junior Member! Look out world, here I come!

Last edited:
Don't know about the genius,more like basic phisics I guess,Where there is air there can't be water.

We do have some diveclubs overhere who started experimenting right after WWII,they used surplus aviator/fighterpilot maskes.They where not made for scuba,so the leaked as hell.
The just had to implement the laws of phisics.

just my 2 psi.:D

i suspect 300bar is correct

when Custeau started experimenting with his scuba set in 1943, he already had what we know as a face mask ... i assume somewhere between adapting non-diving "masks" for diving in the 30's and the design of the first dive-masks by 1943, people figured out that air in the mask displaced water out

prior to that, it was goggles that people used for diving, and those you can't clear, of course

I have no idea, but he was nowhere near as gutsy as the first one to eat an oyster.

Or an artichoke.:wink:

I'd suspect they figured it out while testing the very first mask.

Or abalone... yet now we line up for reservations to dive for them

Or an artichoke.:wink:

Or abalone... yet now we line up for reservations to dive for them
Imagine the thought process of the first person to ever try a lobster. Hmmm...., I bet that alien looking bug would be really good cooked and dipped in melted churned milk fat.

Absolutely! Especially if you squish all those grapes with your feet, Lucy and Ethel.

The real genius was in distillation of spirits...let's boil up roasted barley, dirty peat water and cool it in a copper coil! My favourite tipple, single malt scotch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom