Out of Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a note about the air, the Dept. of Labor is out in full force with inspections on air stations and looking for air purity tests, they paid me a visit today and brought occupational hygienist's with them. Their official word is no CSAZ180.1 compliance no government or fire dept or hazmat fills.

Holy mother of pearl, thats not you Freddy feringee of Tam dive is it?. I didn't think you new how to use a key board. IF not, what shop are you from and if What you say what is true how come I and others dive shops in TO have not had that same visit in the past or present, are you selling foul air or something to draw attention to your self.:bonk: Hyper pure baby

Are you two freinds or what?

Ministry of Labour (MOL) can't enforce regulations for people that aren't employed by the dive shop... ie me as a rec diver and not being compensated by the dive shop for diving can not rely on the MOL to protect me. I guess it comes down to buyer beware.

what are the main hazards that would be in a scuba tank that we'd have to worry about...

Carbon Monixide is probably the big one... by doing a quick inspection of where the compressor is and where the air is drawn from, you should be able to tell if their is the potential for carbon monxide.
Hydrocarbons are another potential concern.. but you could smell them.

what other hazards might there be?? anyone know???

There has got to be portable gas detectors that could be used by the rec diver to protect themselves. I have them at work, they measure Oxygen level, and CO but that's about it.

what might be fun is.. for me to borrow them from work and take a drive around to the local dive shops... see what's up with their air.

Hi

The Ministry of Labor would do better if they would stop favoring one commercial diving company over another. I know one inspector in Toronto who takes cash money under his belt and should be fired for looking the other way for some outfits, but coming down hard on others who don't rub his palm. It's not there job to inspect what goes on in dive shops only what is performed out side in public work space. eg commercial diving job sites. The Dept of Transport "DOT" on the other hand has the govermental permission to walk into any dive shop or business and inspect air quality, compressor and bank bottle safety.

algorithm:upset:

if you dont use your lds they will shut down...

;-0 ;-0 ;-0

Algorithm if DOT comes into your shop somebuddy has really messed up. DOT is American and the inspector would be really lost if he showed up in your Toronto shop! TC=Transport Canada can inspect the cylinders, the valves are TSSA's and air bounces back as Dundas mentioned to buyer beware or hope that the MOL is protecting the workers in the shop. Mind you the Ontario laws still refer to the 85 standard which would allow Dundas with his hand held Drager or MSA unit to go make so extra coin on the side. Scarry isn't it. You think they would at least ask you to meet the 2000 standard which requires the accredited lab.

I saw the results of a LDS from a buddy of mine and it had a little bit more than excessive CO. Well after seeing the results I decided I could get air elsewhere or just stop taking my-multi vitamins as I was getting all the minerals etc I need from the air. Bromine, Toulene, Berilium, Tungsten, Sulfer, Methyl-Ethyl bad stuff etc.......That was from a PADI 5 star facility. Its been a long time since I took chemistry in high school but I thought that North American Oil was high in sulfer--could it be?? Do those hand held units check for 10-W-30?

0000000000000000hhh))))) Another slash and burn by Bubble Boy. Were's are dam CSA sticker.

Mark V:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom