Outer Banks...are there any decent beach dives in this area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know, but the kiteboarding is great!!!!

There are a couple that I know about. One is in Nags Head and one is in Kitty Hawk. I believe the Triangle Wrecks are at Mile Marker 7 in Kitty Hawk and the Huron is in Nags Head a few miles further down, MM 11.

Huron - Federal Gunship steamer with sail 541 tons, she ran aground November 24, 1877 with the loss of 98 crewmen. Located at milepost 11 the Bladen St.. access. She is 250 yds North of the Nags Head Fishing Pier in approx. 25 ft of water.

Thanks for the help.

In May, what sort of suit is appropriate? Can you get by with a 6 mm and hood or is it drysuit water?

May? BBBBBBRRRRRRR!!!! It's too cold for this Florida boy in May. :D

I don't begin to start warming up on the surface until May.

DennisW:
There are a couple that I know about. One is in Nags Head and one is in Kitty Hawk. I believe the Triangle Wrecks are at Mile Marker 7 in Kitty Hawk

Yep. it's about 100 yards south of the 2nd street beach acess. About 100 yards offshore. good dive. Ask the dive shop which beach house to line up with and then swim 100 yards perpendicular offshore. (I'd tell you but I can't remember which house it is and they might have painted it since I've been there).

Personally I think some of the other shore dives there are a little far off shore unless you're a really good swimmer.

Example I think that the Oriental (Boiler) wreck is 200 to 250 yards or so off shore. it's also near Oregon Inlet and could have currents from ingoing/outgoing tides. I might suggest diving these from a boat, even if they're close to shore.

mike_s:
. . . .

Personally I think some of the other shore dives there are a little far off shore unless you're a really good swimmer. . . I might suggest diving these from a boat, even if they're close to shore.

If you've never been there, the surf can be a challenge as well.

6mm will be a little cold in may, but it is definately bearable. Make sure you wear a hood that will make a hige difference keeping your head warm. If you plan to dive these beach dives anyway b/c they aren't to deep(like20-30 ft).

DivePartner1:
If you've never been there, the surf can be a challenge as well.

Boy you aren't kidding... When we shore dove it, there actually were people surfing the waves.

We had to duck down on the sand and go under the waves on our bellys, holding in place as the wave came in and scurrying out as the water went out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom