OW dive didn't work out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my first attempted ocean decent in my OW class, I got turned around and disoriented. Visibility was poor and I was facing away from the reference line. Talk about being dizzy. I surfaced feeling nauseous. :l: I wasn't sure I could go down again, but I relaxed, breathed deep, and concentrated on my training. The second attempt went much better and now I'm hopelessly addicted. I made it and so will you.

Boy can I relate to your post! I took my class about one & a half years ago. I've been a lifelong swimmer and water doesn't scare me as a rule. But to ask me to breathe underwater goes against everything I've ever experienced down under. I had major anxiety issues and I, too, was the last in the class to perform the various exercises for the instructor. I found I had to do alot of talking to myself like c'mon, that old guy can do it, so can you and just calm down, take it easy. I literally talked my way thru everything! I found when I did my open water dives that my own reassurance meant more than anything anyone else said. I chose to do my OW dives in the Caribbean rather than a murky pond and was lucky enough to have a very patient and encouraging young instructor. I have since enjoyed several dives and am planning another trip soon. I will not let anyone talk me into doing anything different until I'm good and ready. That means no wreck diving, night diving, etc. I realize I'm probably missing out on some great dives but I'll know when I'm ready. You can do it and I agree with everybody else, spend all the pool time you need. The ocean is a big beautiful place but getting yourself prepared mentally and physically is most of the battle.

I had 30 dives logged before I set foot in the ocean.All springs,then for my aow class,I had to step off the back of a boat in 3-4 ft seas.My heart was pounding so hard I was afraid I would overbreath my regulator.But once I submerged the quiet peace and tranquility allowed me to calm down and enjoy myself.I think the springs are a better place to do openwater checkout dives for beginners,But dont quit now,breath in fully and exhale fully and the peace and enjoyment that we all enjoy will be yours.

I totally relate! I just got certified on July 1st this year, and I definitely had some anxiety and fears when it came to the open water dives. I just "self talked" myself through it, and it worked out great! It was a huge help that my instructor is the kindest, most patient and most expierienced person ever (he's done over 4000 dives!) 4000 dives, and he's not dead, so I told myself that I could at least do the 4 I needed!

Trust yourself and the skills you've learned, and talk yourself through it.

Good luck!

Bookymad...

I can understand your anxiety for all of this. You will do well as long as you want to do it. Keep at it and you will soon find yourself managing to understand the underwater experience. If it helps....

I am a competent swimmer and love water. When i first experienced SCUBA i freaked out because it didn't seem normal. Through time i have learned that the people around me (instructors and DMs) are trained to understand that we depend on each other for help. When your training, the Instructor and DMs are trained to deal with your difficulties. I think the bottom line is to learn to put your trust in your associates.

Be comfortable in water and trust your equipment, training and surrounding bodies. As soon as you can do this, you can start to enjoy the great joys of SCUBA!

Let us know how you get on!

Scotty

bookymad:
I'm the shyest person imaginable, and people who know me would be gasping at the idea that I was even considering joining diving groups once I completed the basic OW and AOW. I hate interacting with people, and yet for scuba diving, I was willing to do it.

Be aware active divers aren't just "people". We be "a breed apart" in both sanity and experience.

FT

Bookymad,
You have no reason to feel bad about yourself or your skill level. Breathing underwater is as strange to our bodies as hang gliding. Its not natural and can be frightening. What you feel is quite common and I personaly have my bouts with it still. I am a new diver myself and I still have a little anxiety when I first hit the water. I make myself calm down on the surface, I get my fear and nerves evened out and I submerge to the hangline or to the bottom in the shallows of a shore dive. Once Im there I make sure that my gear is all working, that Im in order, that im calm and mentaly ready, and then I descend. I use those two stops to work out the anxiety and nervousness. Each time I dive it gets less and less and difficult to get past it. I say you should keep at it, within reason. Get all the pool work in that you can. If you cant afford to rent the gear to dive, go snorkeling. Get as comfortable in and under the water as you can. Work on all of the emergency drills. When you can safely doff/don your gear, do mask removals, buddy breath, and use an alternate air supply with zero anxiety then you will be able to dive to depth with no problem. When you get on the next boat dive, make yourself go to the hang line. Once your off the surface and you have the freedom to float on your own, 90% of the fear goes right out the exhaust valve.
Now, I did say to keep at it within reason. Some people cant climb rock walls because of physical limitations, a fear of hights, or both . Diving is no different. Some people just are not meant to dive. I would rather see a person know their personal limits and throw in the towel than to get to depth and freak out. People like that get themsleves killed and even worse, they get others killed. Are you that person, I dont know. You had the sense to call your boat dive. I think that if you get to that point then you will be able to make that call yourself. I really hope that you can learn to trust your gear, let go of the fear and learn to love diving. But in the end its your call, and for the sake of your life and those diving with you, please make the right one. Good luck and by all means keep trying!!!!!

Bookymad, You have to remember that we are all different and what is easy for some is hard for others. But just because it's hard doesn't mean it's not possible. Think of other things in your life that are easy for you but others need extra help/training to get to your level. Practice and you will be diving in no time.

It wouldn't have been worth it ruining it for others.

Never ever worry about ruining it for others. It's all about whether or not you feel comfortable. When you let pressure from the rest of the "group" rule your descissions that is when you get in trouble. The rule should always be anyone can call a dive for any reason. No recriminations. That being said I had a panic attack at 30' on my first dive and prety much bolted for the surface. I kept just enough presence of mind to breathe as I went up, had to just float on the surface for about 15 minutes before I could go back down. Believe me panic was the last thing I expected. I grew up on the water I learned how to swim before I could read.

Sound to me like you should stick with. As somebody once said Baby Steps, one at a time.

Good Luck

I needed several extra pool sessions and an extra OW dive before I could complete the OW requirements. I was clumsy underwater, my mask kept fogging up, I had trouble using my compass and getting in and out of my equipment in the water was a chore for me. Since then, however, I have made dozens of ocean dives with no problems. With each dive, you will pick up info and routines. You will learn more about your own weight and trim issues, what defog agents work for you and so on. In my OW classes, I had a tendency to "turtle" (flip over), a problem corrected by the peak performance buoyancy dives, in which I had time to experiment with different weighting/bc options) and a switch to aluminum tanks.
In group open water classes, there often isn't time to deal with the foibles of any one student. My dive shop, however, was very professional and, when I failed to complete the tasks in the 4 OW dives, they assigned an instructor to work with me one on one for several dives to complete the course. This personalized attention restored my confidence, otherwise I would have quit. That would have been too bad, because I have since had a blast diving.
The point is, some people take longer to get comfortable in the water. Once you get your C card and log 30 or more dives, you'll forget the initial struggles, relax and enjoy the view...

Back
Top Bottom