Padi Erdp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lord forbid that you want to do an altitude dive.

http://www.padi.com/english/common/products/catalog/erdp/flash/default.asp

PADI has an online demo of it.

Remember that once you put in a depth, it will give you a NDL, hit enter and it will allow you to enter a bottom time. It will then give a PG. Hit enter and put in a SI, it will give you an adjust PG. Hit enter again and it will go to a repetitive dive depth. It will let you stack 5 repetitive dives.

I'm not really sold on it. Like mentioned, I like the visual the tables give. But if I were a betting man, I'd say they'll sell fast.

Scubaroo:
What happens when you take a nitrox course? You have to buy an EAN-eRDP?

Or use your EAD and MOD tables and use the information it provides.

:soapbox:

I cannot believe they came up with this thing, when they have a perfectly good alternative to the "flat tables".... it's called THE WHEEL!

:soapbox:

Its called evolution..remeber a few years ago when the slide rule lost out to calculators.How many of you even know what a slide rule is. And how many of you do long division on paper or even know how. I learned on a square slate to do my tables because I cannot afford a computer. I'm going to pick one up this coming weekend. Does this make me a fool or a bafoon or uneducated..I think not..it makes me an individual. I think its a decent idea for those who can benefit from it. Teach the tables in class and then down the road if the diver wants one..so be it..but it should not be included in the course itself. My tables go with me on every dive but have never come out of the pocket.

I can't afford a computer, so I use my tables. I also don't subscribe to padi so I don't plan on using an erdp. The tables are easy enough to use that I don't need a calculator to do it for me.

Make a Palm Pilot, someone will buy it. Make a GPS, someone will buy it. Make a cell phone, an IPOD, a digital widget or whatever, its all gadgetry and we like it. Its fun!

Many people today have a lot of expendible income, they like electronic anything and they buy it. Its all about whats new and what don't they already have. Its marketing and it will probably work.

The thing that surprised me, as someone already mentioned, was that they priced it at only $25.

J

I'm kind of wondering, since the programming must be quite simple (just an electronic copy of the tables tied into a calculator) why hasn't PADI made a JAVA enabled cell-phone version... or a PDA version... much more convenient for a lot of folks...and more likely to be bought by larger numbers of divers as a convenience... but a standalone device for it... that's what I find hard to swallow... even a calculator is a multi-function device... this seems like a limited calculator to me...

kidspot:
I'm kind of wondering, since the programming must be quite simple (just an electronic copy of the tables tied into a calculator) why hasn't PADI made a JAVA enabled cell-phone version... or a PDA version... much more convenient for a lot of folks...and more likely to be bought by larger numbers of divers as a convenience... but a standalone device for it... that's what I find hard to swallow... even a calculator is a multi-function device... this seems like a limited calculator to me...
well look at it this way, all of those devices are expensive and damage sensitive.... People wont want to bring something like that on a dive boat or on vacation and risk it getting wet/stolen/or broken.... The eRDP (although I dont support it) is like a regular calculator in that it is cheap, durable, and "splash-resistent" (whatever the hell that means hah)... Its something that if broken wont cost you $100-300 to replace.... and keep in mind also that this is for BEGINNING divers... someone who has no idea how to use tables will probably find this much easier to use, and less confusion for the student while learning what everything means....

Now from what I hear from a reliable source, its not in the too distant future that PADI is going to STOP teaching the tables to OW Students and have them strictly rely on computers.... How do you like dem apples!?

I don't have a problem with the idea of the eRDP. I do have a problem with PADI letting them use it on the test. Your tables won't run out of batteries so you need to know how to use them.
I dove with a class at the LDS on their check out dives and two out of 8 used the eRDP. Not to my surprise these two didn't know how to use the table and I helped them out. After they found out how simple the table was they could kick themselves for spending the $25 on something that they don't need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom