PADI or NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easy there tiger! We all have our priorities. IMO I would take the little time (that you obviously have, you're here afterall) and worry about actually logging some dives not which agency you're going to become an instructor with. There's enough ****ty instructors out there as it is. How are you going to teach someone how to dive when you haven't completely figured it out for yourself yet? Again IMO you should have at least 500 dives before thinking about teaching others. Sure diving is relatively easy but you need the real world experience.

Street, I was offended at how your post came across as well. The OP simply asked which organization people recommended. You came across blunt and rude by implying that he shouldn't be thinking about things down the road since he was an inexperienced noob that had no real business even considering being an instructor based on his "Logged Dive" count on his profile.

Searching for the Unthankyou button.

halemano:
If I were to answer the logged dive question it would be somewhere around 215, due to the fact that I have not logged a dive since my Intro to Cave cert. That was well over 3,000 dives ago.

How do you know it was well over 3,000 dives ago?

While it can be amusing to see where these "PADI vs Agency X" threads eventually go, I think the basic point that got lost in the last few pages is that at this stage the OP doesn't need to commit to any particular agency -- especially if he doesn't know where he's going to be living in 3 years. As StreetDoctor put it (perhaps a bit too bluntly :)), he can get out and dive without having to worry about which agency he'll ultimately affiliate with. In the process, and particularly once he gets to the DM level, he'll discover that there's a difference between diving for pleasure and diving for a living...and hopefully find that both have their own rewards.

I've done all my training with PADI, not because I think PADI is superior or because I have anything against NAUI, but rather because NAUI has virtually zero presence here and PADI's local support is fantastic. If I had the opportunity, however, I would have trained with multiple agencies just to experience different instructors and teaching methodologies. Assuming that OP can locate good instructors from different agencies, there's no reason why he couldn't do, say, AOW with one, rescue with another and DM with a third...and based on those experiences, consider which one best suits him for OWSI. Even at the OWSI level, you're not committed for life to that agency and are free to cross over to other agencies without forfeiting your membership.

Robert00: I say ask all the questions you want, but take the answers with a grain of salt (foot of sea water?). Divers seem to have strong opinions on everything -- just wait til you get involved with the DIR crowd -- but despite what some claim, one agency isn't universally "better" than another since that's entirely subjective. What you'll find is that one may be a better fit for you based on things like location, language, local support, mentors, teaching philosophy, etc. If you have the skills, discipline and motivation, you can be a great instructor with any agency.

One thing to consider is that is easier to cross over as a PADI instructor as opposed to going from other agencies to PADI.

This statement is untrue when comparing NAUI and PADI the crossover from NAUI to PADI as by standards is a shortened IDC and than IE- generally a simple course to learn the PADI way of doing things and a written/practical exam.

Crossing from PADI to NAUI again is 2 written exams (minimum) a shortened ITC and a practical exam. On paper as outlined by standards the crossover standards are very similar to each other.

I find that in teaching the crossover for PADI instructors that they have trouble with the theory exams on the NAUI test as they are much more in depth than PADI teaches. I have been a course director for NAUI for over 10 years and have done a lot of crossovers. Working at numerous dual facilities over the years have sat in on and had many of my staff cross over from NAUI to PADI to pick up the second agency cert and they had an easy time with the PADI tests and practical.

Other agencies have different crossover courses some are very easy (I believe SDI may still be a paperwork crossover no test or dives) SEI I believe is more on line with a NAUI or PADI crossover with a class and test, other agencies have different requirements. A good instructor from any agency that is knowledgeable about diving (has studied a bit outside his agencies books) and teaching will have no problem crossing over from one agency to another if desired a poor instructor from any agency will struggle in any class.

How do you know it was well over 3,000 dives ago?

Well I chose conservative numbers to do the math and then took 1,000 dives off that number. :D

8.5 years since Intro to Cave cert would mean averaging 1 dive per day to make over 3,000 dives. I am comfortable with that number. :coffee:

I didn't realize everyone was so sensitive, I apologize for speaking my mind. I was simply saying one should worry about gaining more experience in the water than which agency they want to teach for, especially when it doesn't really matter. SSI, YMCA, PADI, NAUI, etc. same thing different name. :rolleyes: I guess I'm a little defensive after reading alot of "zero to hero" threads and seeing dive pro's or instructors lead or teach students whom I wouldn't dive with as a buddy even in a quarry.

GratefulDiver- I agree with you completely about experience levels, 500 was simply a number I threw out there to convey my point of needing more experience in different conditions. Also never once did I say I was senior anything, someone asked me a question and I replied, although by Halemano's logic I guess that number is wrong though as I don't log dives that are less than 30 min. :idk:

Herk Man- Goodluck in your search :wink: and I think you put just a few words in my mouth but basically you're right on.

Sensitive is as sensitive does! :idk:

The 13 year old girl I mentioned has never done a less than 45 minute dive. :shakehead:

I actually have more than a few legitimate dives among my ~215 logged dives that are under 30 minutes, at the Bibb and the Duane. :crafty:

If this forum is too tough for you I'm sure there is something your speed in whine & cheese. :mooner:

Last edited:
Sensitive is as sensitive does! :idk:

The 13 year old girl I mentioned has never done a less than 45 minute dive. :shakehead:

I actually have a more than a few legitimate dives among my ~215 logged dives that are under 30 minutes, at the Bibb and the Duane. :crafty:

If this forum is too tough for you I'm sure there is something your speed in whine & cheese. :mooner:

I find it highly unlikely you'll offend me on the internet sweetheart :wink: Sarcasm can sometimes be hard to interpret on the web :rolleyes:

This statement is untrue when comparing NAUI and PADI the crossover from NAUI to PADI as by standards is a shortened IDC and than IE- generally a simple course to learn the PADI way of doing things and a written/practical exam.

Your experience as a Course Director adds much to this thread. My point still standing that an actual IE which entails an independent PADI examiner will be necessary for all instructor crossovers including NAUI. This is not the case with other agencies. Does NAUI require independent evaluators or can a Course Director working with an instructor or its equivalent complete the cross over for PADI instructors?

Back
Top Bottom