Panic attack first time on open water dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recalled that in another thread someone had mentioned that mentioned diver mentality fallen into groups of of either "eager to dive" or those of "glad the dive was over."

Having been trapped physically twice as a kid made me somewhat claustrophobic. So my introduction to scuba especially OW certification was not all thrills but somewhat "glad the dive was over."

Now I managed AOW & still am fairly new diver at 60 dives, this "glad the dive was over" still haunts me; I thought I had moved on to the eager diver group... even though I don't have any cardiovascular or other physical impairment.

On the 60th dive, jumped with confidence into clear blue & warm South Pacific water at Indonesia. Vis was awesome for the Wall dive with hardly noticeable current. 20- 30 minutes later at the 15-20M zone in headache hits follow by slight nausea & shortness of breath, vision was slightly blurred.

I began to have an urge to get out of water. Signaled to guide 1/2 tank & ascent to shallow. Bad feeling went away for awhile but came back soon.

Really had to hold back the urge to rush out to finish safety stop then exit. Was relieved and mad at myself the same time about not enjoying this somewhat easy dive in such a nice place.

I'm still trying to trouble shoot that dive. The only remedies came to me was not pushing much beyond ones comfort level and be prepared with all aspects of the dive in order to handle surprises.

Any suggestions in this discussion is welcome!

You never know on a first OW dive. I didn't have a panic attack, but I did hyperventilate. There was a bit of current at the site. We (instructor & I) were to splash then swim to the mooring line and go down the line. So I hopped in and dorkeled to the mooring line. When I got there I was huffing and puffing like crazy. My instructor thought I was having a panic attack and kept saying "if I can just get you under you'll be fine." Between huffing and puffing, laughing at how silly the situation was, and thinking to myself "Geez this is ridiculous. I was born a fish and it wasn't that much of a swim," I couldn't tell her I was O.K., just give me a second. She finally realized I was laughing and after a couple minutes my body settled down. We went ahead and had a great dive. I guess it was the combo of the swim, not being used to the reg, and the excitement of the moment. Like I said, you just never know. To the OP, I'm glad you hung in there and continued. I'm sure glad I did. :)

Having been trapped physically twice as a kid made me somewhat claustrophobic. So my introduction to scuba especially OW certification was not all thrills but somewhat "glad the dive was over."

You know tsuyoshi, I'm a private pilot with an instrument rating and I'm the same way about flying. I love to fly, yet there is this relief after the flight is over. It's like I love to fly but I'm afraid to fly. I guess it's the inherent 'danger' involved in flying, and that's always in the back of my mind. I imagine it's the same way for you with diving. But I don't have an answer because I'm that way on every flight still. For some reason though, other than the panic attack, I wasn't that way about diving, but I do have to admit as I have thought about becoming certified again, some of that has crept in about diving on a small scale, what could go wrong.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2015 at 05:09 PM ----------

You never know on a first OW dive. I didn't have a panic attack, but I did hyperventilate. There was a bit of current at the site. We (instructor & I) were to splash then swim to the mooring line and go down the line. So I hopped in and dorkeled to the mooring line. When I got there I was huffing and puffing like crazy. My instructor thought I was having a panic attack and kept saying "if I can just get you under you'll be fine." Between huffing and puffing, laughing at how silly the situation was, and thinking to myself "Geez this is ridiculous. I was born a fish and it wasn't that much of a swim," I couldn't tell her I was O.K., just give me a second. She finally realized I was laughing and after a couple minutes my body settled down. We went ahead and had a great dive. I guess it was the combo of the swim, not being used to the reg, and the excitement of the moment. Like I said, you just never know. To the OP, I'm glad you hung in there and continued. I'm sure glad I did. :)

That basically sounds like what happened to me, but I called it a panic attack but there was heavy hyperventilating too. As I stated earlier though, I had no idea it was going to happen. I wasn't even the least bit apprehensive. It was like someone flipped a switch. Never saw it coming.

I'm sure you will be fine, just do the course and enjoy the dives. I have found though, that I really have to be in the right frame of mind to go diving, if I am not then I just don't feel comfortable and would rather sit it out.

When my brain feels zoned in then I am calm and relaxed and just enjoy it, whatever kind of diving I am doing, but if I am not in the right mental zone then it doesn't matter if I am doing a shallow shore dive, or a 40-45 m wreck dive I am constantly thinking about have I checked everything, is there a problem and so on.

It doesn't happen often but if I feel like that I basically just don't dive that day.

Something similar happened on one of my open water dives for my first certification when I came back to diving, it wasn't my first dive (but then all my lessons were done in confined open water, no pool sessions). Everything had been going well and I had enjoyed the lessons so far, then one morning I did the first dive/lesson and I kept getting a small trickle of water in my mask, I was not having any problem clearing it but it just spooked me for some reason. I just could not focus, I had feelings of doom and gloom and really questioned what the h*ll I was doing underwater. I was actually ready to call the dive and quit there and then. I have no idea why !

I was the only student at that time so was effectively having private lessons and the instructor just took her time and didn't push things, I went off lunchtime, bought a razor and had a shave (in case it was my stubble causing the leak- how irrational can you get!) and then came back for the afternoon sessions. It has never been that bad again, but I do still have days when I question what I am doing, so I just listen to the little voice and don't dive. But then I have plenty more days when I just can wait to get into the wet stuff.

So don't worry about it. Do the course, do the dives, think about your own limits and comfort zone and stay within them, and you will remain in control. Have fun - Phil.

Don't look for them or you will find. Write it off as a once off. If you start to feel again just stop and concentrate on slowing your breathing down, you can't have a panic attack if you're breathing slowly, they are mutually exclusive. I did panic once on a dive due to an equipment malfunction. It made me practice more. During my days as a DM I've seen a few new divers panic, in my experience it's not that uncommon. Most never have another, some fixate on the event and never dive again. Good luck.

I can absolutely relate. It took me nearly three years to get certified due to panic attacks.

I had dreamed of diving my entire life and when I finally went to get certified it was the most horrific experience of my life. My first OW was in a lake and the moment my regulator hit the water I went into a full blown panic attack and decided I never wanted to try diving again.

Months later, I tried again and again, I panicked. Because my ex husband was certified, we could rent a tank and get in a pool (probably a big no-no!). I would practice breathing off of the regulator, flooding my mask, etc. in the shallow end. Finally I became comfortable enough to try the OW dives again. It wasn't pleasant, but I made it through, virtually fighting panic the entire time. Even my first 2 years as a certified diver were less than enjoyable.

For me, understanding what a panic attack is and why it happens (fight or flight response) was key. I had to identify my triggers. I learned to rationalize my thoughts and talk myself out of them-my most common mantra when I feel a little panic creeping in, is "you have air in your tank. whatever else happens, you have air in your tank".

Today, I live to dive and I couldn't imagine my life without it. There is hope for you!

II had dreamed of diving my entire life and when I finally went to get certified it was the most horrific experience of my life. My first OW was in a lake and the moment my regulator hit the water I went into a full blown panic attack and decided I never wanted to try diving again.

Exactly what happened to me. But he just had me slow down my breathing and collect myself and I was fine after that. I did notice that times after that just getting into water to swim, not even diving there would be a hint of it again, even though I had never experienced that in my life up until that first OW dive.

I even experience it when snorkeling and freediving sometimes! I have panic attacks in other situations (like enclosed spaces) and I know that some people are just more prone to them. The slow breathing helps me as well. It's a very much a mind over matter (or mind or MIND) situation.

OP, have you tried again?

I haven't had that yet, but I only have 16 dives, and they've all been in wonderful conditions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I suspect that if it's going to hit me, it will be when I have to descend when I can't see the bottom, so it will feel like I'm hanging in the middle of nothingness. So I'm going to be alert for that kind of thing the first time in those conditions.

I even experience it when snorkeling and freediving sometimes! I have panic attacks in other situations (like enclosed spaces) and I know that some people are just more prone to them. The slow breathing helps me as well. It's a very much a mind over matter (or mind or MIND) situation.

OP, have you tried again?

I have never scuba dived again, so I don't know. : )

Right after that dive I had to move back from Pensacola to Atlanta and things just haven't worked out for me to scuba dive again. I'm going to get certified this fall again. I never got my certification last time because I moved before they put me in the system even thought I had completed the training. Going to do my pool work here in Atlanta and when we go on vacation to Venice FL in the fall, I'm gonna drive down to Key Largo and do the open water dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom