Pick 1 out of 3 and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I deal with aqua systems and they go to the Etobicoke Olympian on Tuesday nights so you could ask them to take a BCD to try out. I got my Zeagle Tech from Scuba.com because they have pretty good prices for equipment. Plus i can throw a BP onto my Zeagle and use it for doubles.

Cheers,
Patrick

P.S. what BP-W set up, and where in the gta can you try BCDs in the water. I dont think we have a dive shop in the GTA that has a pool. I mostly by from aquarius.

I purchased my BP/W used but do know that dive shops have, in the past, made an effort to try to find quipment to try if I was serious about buying. Others have said buy it, try it once in the pool and we'll take it back if it is not what I wanted.

Just talk to any shop that actively sells BP/W's and tell them that you are serious about purchasing something, but need to try out the options before you decide. A good shop will try to find a way to work with you. They may not be able to find one that fits you because a fit harness is not like an adjustable jacket style BC. Talk to them, explain your dilemma and ask them to try to help you out.

I have dove with Aqua Systems on Tuesday's at the Olympium. It is a pool but at least it is 18' deep and big. Better than the shallow end at the Y :wink:.

I have a Knighthawk and it's a very good back inflate BC
but ... I think that I may have been happier spending that money for BP&W

I may end up doing that anyway as my diving progresses

I have a Knighthawk and it's a very good back inflate BC
but ... I think that I may have been happier spending that money for BP&W

I may end up doing that anyway as my diving progresses

I agree. I dove a poodle jacket for 350 or so dives. I will never complain about that....I now figure I would have been better investing in a BP/W up front but many dive shops do not offer them or would rather sell you a jacket BC so that they can sell you the upgrade in the future. I have enjoyed every poodle jacket dive and am contemplating not selling it just so I have a back up should anything happen to both my Venture and bungeed Rec wing.

Bottom line is, a new diver is best to try out the various types of equipment if possible before buying. That way they can get what is most comfortable and best suited for the diving that they expect to do.

Thanks guys. I think Aquarius Scuba in Toronto will let me try it. They are a good shop. I also posted a good thread "all bcd questions answered" have a look.

It's really nice to see someone taking the time and effort to research a gear purchase!
The bp/w is what everyone says and more , except for one thing....cost!!
If you are lucky enough to have some old school dive friends, then most likley they have an old back plate laying around ,plastic,al,ss,it really won't matter for your first one,if not, ebay or craigs list.
The webbing and most of the hardware can be bought at Ace Hardware for pennies on the dollar.
Heck, you can shop a wing the same way .
Some things your might only find from a dealer like a good buckle,weight pockets that sort of stuff.

Ace hardware has 2" weight belt webbing and stainless D-rings and keepers??????
Really!!!!!!!
You don't say.
For pennies on the dollar no less.
So what does that mean? That if I pay, let's say $2 a foot for webbing at a dive shop they have it for 10 or 20 cents a foot? Now you're sure it's the same stuff huh??

I'll have to look into Ace Hardware, you might be onto something there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom