Planning the next trip and want it to be EPIC!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does Bas T work solo or out of a dive shop? If so which one?
Also what is a great place to stay in Bonaire?

Going back to Bonaire in October. My first trip last year was good...this year's trip in May was very good...so I'm shooting for epic this time!! I want to come home from the trip exhausted, barely able to carry my gear to the plane. The group includes some pretty awesome divers, dive pros, instructors and instructor trainers, and we're going to be hitting the TDI tech week events.

To that end, I've planned a day with Bas Tol. I want to hit some of the very southern dive sites, like the one at the Lighthouse...go play in some of the heavy surf entries. We don't get to do that here in North Carolina, so I want to see if we can make it out (and back!) in the surf. A trip up north is also planned, maybe hitting Nukove and the like.

What else should we plan on to make the trip unforgettable? Most of us have been to the island several times, so we've hit the vast majority of the "must hit" sites for the casual divers. I'm probably less "risk adverse" than most people, I'd definitely be open to some off the beaten path locations.

I like your enthusiasm!!!!! wwguy's comment was too funny..... I hope you do have an epic dive trip and that you are dragging butt to the airport when you leave!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!! You have to do these things before you cannt do them anymore.

I totally agree. I dive for fun. "Epic", sounds like a exaggerated modern day expectation. We're going Nov. 8th, don't expect anything Epic.

Epic is a goal. I'm going to have an awesome trip, I'm not worried about being disappointed.

Just trying to see if there's anything that I should check out....or hit!!...while we're there that is maybe more memorable than just staying wet the whole week.

Does Bas T work solo or out of a dive shop? If so which one?
Also what is a great place to stay in Bonaire?
BAS Diving

Define great. Upscale? waterfront? walking distance to town? mostly divers? Pool? Bar? onsite.

[I would think about diving Candyland if you haven't already done it. It's a little difficult to get to, but well worth it. You can go further north to the end of the road and dive fishing village. Both dives are similar to Karpata in that the reef drops away fast and deep. But still different form karpata-both beautiful and not dived often. We always try to take at least 2 trucks-it's a long way, but worth it.

We have dived several park sites. Bocca Slagbai has a very long , pretty empty sandy bottom out to the reef. Once at the reef, it drops off quickly. It's different up north-beautiful, but a long drive and a long swim.

Vann Evans
A4 Sand Dollar

Vann,

Are those sites north of Nukove?

The Boca Slagbaai site is actually in the park and not on the same road as Nukove. It is accessed by going to rincon and continue north. Fishing Village and Candyland are both on the same raod as NUkove. Fishing village is at the north end of the road, Nukove is the next site south and Candyland/Taylormaid are further south. They are accessed by driving past Karpata, going around the Opec facility and continuing north along the coast. The dirt raod is rugged and if wet can become impassable. It is totally remote. We always take at least 2 trucks and extra tanks. Don't forget anything-it's a long way, but well worth it.

Vann Evans
A4 Sand Dollar
Kralendijk Vacation Rental - VRBO 277614 - 0 BR Bonaire Condo, Ocean-Front, Bari Reef Studio (A4) with Gorgeous View

Ok. Now I think I know where Candyland is. Pretty sure we dove it but didn't know the name. I didn't know you could dive north of Nukove though - isn't there a research area that's off limits up there?

North of Nukove is off limits until you get to the park, then there are several marked sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom