Plastic waist buckle for your hog rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the plastic buckle to go to the dump with the rest of the trash. They can not be counted on.

Metal will break. Metal will bend. Sometimes the metal tongue must be bent back
so the strap goes through smoothly. The canister lights now are small and light.
Just hang it upside down on the backplate. Now that D ring is clear and the light
switch is easy to access and no plastic buckle to hold it in place is neccessary.
Kal

Hi Guys and Gals,
Just curious if any of you have used a plastic waist buckle for your hog harness? I travel a lot for diving and seems the plastic will be lighter and travel gently w/out clanging and banging into everything. Any thoughts?
Jim

When I finished my very first a dive with my brand new DUI Weight and Trim harness (which came with a plastic buckle), I got on the boat, sat down, went to unbuckle it and found that there was nothing to unbuckle. The flapper (movable part) had simply fallen off and vanished underwater.

I replaced it with a metal buckle, and will never dive with a plastic buckle again. Happily, the DUI W&T will not fall off even with no buckle, but if it had been on a weight belt, I'd probably have been testing out my DAN insurance.

Terry

Unfortunately, some of the metal buckles do the same thing.

Unfortunately, some of the metal buckles do the same thing.

Great. I guess this is another vote for stuff that doesn't fall off if the buckle fails.

Terry

I use a plastic weight belt buckle for one thing, to show my students what not to use, period, ever. A plastic buckle will fail, I will not put my life in jeopardy by using a plastic buckle. Buckles get bounced around with hard weights and cylinders and plastic buckles are prone to get damaged and come apart causing you to lose a belt without warning.

A metal buckle will either work or not work. If a metal buckle gets bent you can usually pound it back into sound dependable condition. However, I have never had a metal buckle fail. I have had a plastic buckle fail, just one time. I used two metal weight belt buckles for a long time after that experience.

I will not use a plastic buckle because they do not hold well and are prone to breakage but metal buckles can break too, just not as often. I had the metal buckle on my waist strap come apart just last weekend. I jumped into the water and as I started my descent I realized that my waist strap was loose. As I descended I felt around for the belt ends with the intention of refastening a buckle that had come undone. As I reached the wreck at 130 feet I realized that the flapper was missing. I thumbed the dive and changed the buckle out when I got back on the boat.

Hi Guys and Gals,
Just curious if any of you have used a plastic waist buckle for your hog harness? I travel a lot for diving and seems the plastic will be lighter and travel gently w/out clanging and banging into everything. Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Jim
i just got my hog and it has a metal buckle...i was warned by ex BF what not to get....plastic was one of them...just for all the above reasons. dive safe. wendy

Hi, I saw the picture of the buckles : I have the last on the right, the small SS, which I want to use for my oms harness....as there are only two openings , how do you pass the webbing to make it tight and safe ? I looked for a scheme on the internet but.....
Thanks

Hi, I saw the picture of the buckles : I have the last on the right, the small SS, which I want to use for my oms harness....as there are only two openings , how do you pass the webbing to make it tight and safe ? I looked for a scheme on the internet but.....
Thanks

I had a similar problem with the DSS buckle, so I picked up a halcyon buckle and will use the DSS one once I get a can-light.

To be honest I'm not sure what the best way is to secure the buckle with only two openings.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom