Please define "World Class Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO world class diving is a site(s) that people travel from all over the world to dive.

Anywhere you've dived 400-500 times and you'll STILL jump on the boat and go for a dive if you've got customers going there...

It differs for everyone. Personally, I find swimming over a litter-strewn black sand bottom looking for critters quite dull. To others, it's heaven, and critter-fans don't get my fascination with big drop-offs, big schools of fish and big sharks. Metalheads don't understand why anyone cares about reefs, serious cave divers don't want anything except wet rocks. I'm lucky enough to be somewhere I get to play with a little of everything, and to me that makes it world class, but no matter where you are there are always going to be people who don't get a 'world class' experience, either because it's just not happening that day or because what excites them is something they won't find there.

I guess world class is anything that makes you feel it was worth the effort to get there.

Tapped out one letter at a time on my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To me, world class means top 3-5 in the world within it's diving category, regardless of it's geographic location or how hard to get there.

Categories could be: wrecks, reefs, pelagics, fish life, macro, soft corals.

World class
Wrecks: Truk
Reefs: Raja Ampat
Fish Life: Maldives
Pelagics: Galapagos
Macro: Lembeh
Soft Corals: Fiji

I agree with this NY Times article--the term "world class" is a meaningless phrase that needs to go away. Anything, including a language phrase, that is a characteristic of Donald Trump needs to go.

What people are looking for in diving is individual. What some people see as an ideal dive location and dive would probably be among the last places I would ever want to dive--and vice versa.

Hits the nail on the head. For me world class diving can have no fish, reefs, octopi, Oriskanys............as long as there are SHELLS.

It's going to differ from person to person. We had a group from Seattle go to Truk last year -- I'm quite sure all of them would describe the diving there as "world class", and there is no way I would go that far or spend that much money to do it.

On the other hand, I've made three trips to the north end of Vancouver Island, where you dive tremendous walls so thick with life and color that you can't possibly even put a finger down without damaging something. That's "world class" in my book, and I know a lot of people wouldn't even consider doing those dives.

To me, "world class" is diving that leaves me breathless, amazed, and deeply grateful for the opportunity to have been where I was. Sometimes it's in my own backyard; more often, it's a little further from home (but not always very far, since I live in one of the best areas of the world to dive!)

Does not need to be somewhere that people will come from all over the world to dive, it is the quality of the diving that counts. We have dives in Sydney that I would place in the "world class diving" basket, but I doubt many people will come here just to dive them.

Of the places I have been overseas, many fit into that category, that is why we went there. I would never go overseas on a dive holiday to any place that I did not consider had the reputation of world class diving.

World class diving = "better than we have around here" diving

Well, living just blocks away from some fantastic kelp forests here on Catalina, I'd have to say (given that definition) there are few "world class" dive sites elsewhere in the world. Of course to me I thrive on diving new locations with new critters and different ecosystems to observe and understand. Therefore my personal "world class" dive sites would offer those qualities. I have loved places that others have hated.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2014 at 06:53 AM ----------

A "World Class Redhead"? That, I can assure you, :gorgeous: has a distinct and precise definition.

I guess I differ... there is no such thing as a world class redhead in my book. I haven't dated one since high school... and I dated her because she was very smart.

The nearest "open water, too deep to stand" works for me.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2014 at 11:12 AM ----------

To me, "world class" is diving that leaves me breathless, amazed, and deeply grateful for the opportunity to have been where I was. Sometimes it's in my own backyard; more often, it's a little further from home (but not always very far, since I live in one of the best areas of the world to dive!)

Then you oughta try Truk... if you like phenomenal wrecks (that double as phenomenal reefs), can swing frequent flyer miles for airfare, do a few days on land, and a week on the Odyssey, it's not THAT expensive compared to other liveaboard trips.

Back
Top Bottom