Please help - need advice on buying gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too love EE and Doug is a great kid but don't forget Rob or Josh, Rob has been diving longer than Doug's been alive. I definitley value his opinion and Josh is a very accomplished Cave instructor, opinionated, but very knowledgable. If your going to EE take advantage of the wealth of info. available. I too have a "full" set of Halcyon gear but I'll admit that I prefer my DiveRite TranspacII with a travel wing for warm water reef diving and travelling. I also love my Atomic's, now they are scorned a little in Cave country but I can take the ridicule. I have an all Titanium set that I take on trips and B's and M's for my doubles and stages. I also have had good luck with some Oceanics. I also have some ScubaPro regs I use on my stages. I have about every brand of computer, my favorite by far is my Stinger (Titanium, I love titanium!). I agree with an all brass SPG any brand ( does anyone make a titanium version?!?, see above), I have some Halcyon's SPG's . So here's my list for what it's worth.
Transpac II with either a Venture or Travel wing or a
Halcyon backplate and wing
Atomic T1's, slimline octo., Spg only, no console or go for the SubaPro's in the same config. (don't bother with an Air II or similar AAS)
Suunto Stinger ( I also dive with an Air Integrated hoseless computer, either Uwatec Air Z, or Oceanic Atom)
Henderson hyperstretch but I also like Bare (I dive a Bare drysuit, their service has been phenomonal sic)
Atomic split fins warmwater, Scubapro jets for everything else
For reef diving I love my Princeton Tec Surge light, everything else I have Halcyon scouts and a Helios 18
Hope this helps-JMHO-M

SeaLawyer:
Brian,

I'm diving in the morning with a rented BP/W (didn't recognize the brand). So that will obviously answer some questions about that over traditional BC's. Honestly, I've read alot of the posts here about both, and tend to agree with the BP/W crowd on the downsides of the traditional design, even with relatively limited exposure to the traditional design... That, coupled with my desire to eventually get into SOME tech stuff, is steering me towards the BP/W, although the Zeagle Hybrid sounds interesting... Does anyone make a BP/W with integrated weights?

:cheers:,
Vaughn

So, how did you like it Vaughn?

SeaJay:
Congratulations on "getting the bug." :D

Gear: Don't. Yes, I'm serious.

Put the credit card down and back away from it.

Here's what I would tell someone who's just gotten their license: Go drive some cars. Borrow mom and dad's, borrow your buddy's, and rent a car here and there. Find out what you like, what you don't like, and what will really serve you over the next five years' worth of car payments. Consider that trucks haul and tend to be rugged. Consider that sports cars are a blast to drive. Consider that you can take all of your friends out on a Friday night if you get a van or SUV. Let yourself get attracted, and then make a decision.

Scuba gear is no different - go dive 100 dives, and then make a decision. If that means that you won't be making a decision for the next three years (based on 33 dives a year), then that's a big hint that you won't be diving enough to warrant purchasing anyway. The only time I would recommend buying is when you completely fall in love with a certain piece of gear that you simply can't do without... A certain regulator, gauge, BC, or whatever. Kinda like finding out that you simply won't drive anything but a Ferrari - and so it's justified to buy one.

Now, here's what you should do with all the money you didn't spend:

1. Send 10% to me. This is your "good advice" charge. :D
2. Take all of the rest and go diving. A lot. Consider it "research" for finding out what you like and don't like.

Side recommendation: Call Extreme Exposure in High Springs, Florida. Tell Doug that SeaJay sent you for advice. Ask him to rent you some stuff to try in Ginnie Springs.

Good luck.

Vaughn,

As a diver of many years experience, I would have to agree with SeaJay and some of the others who counsel waiting just a bit, and using the opportunity to try out various bits of gear here and there.

I know it's hard because you're chomping at the bit, and you obviously like high performance equipment!

I have an Inspiration CCR and a Widolf DR-600 full-face mask with OTS comm gear that I use almost exclusively now, but I have a garage full of gear that I have purchased over the years, some of which I used a few times and said: "Darn, this really wasn't what I was hoping it would be!" So, there it lies in NIB condition.

Take, for instance, the Halcyon wing and back-plate set-up recommended by some. It is excellent gear, and I am not knocking it. It does, however, come with a "Flash Premium" for the "H" logo's. Other back-plate and wing set-ups are as good, as reliable, and cost less. (The cost less part is good because you can use that money to either: (1) Sponsor SeaJay's diving, or, (2) Buy even MORE gear for yourself! :eyebrow: )

One such harness set-up that I have found is Deep Sea Supply's. It is extremely comfortable due to its parachute-harness style rigging and material. It is very easy to doff and don. (Just an example.)

Try: www.deepseasupply.com

I know it's hard, but as SeaJay said: "Put the credit card down, and step away from it!" (For just a little while anyway.)

Cheers!

BJD
(Ex-Navy Airedale)

undefined

Reg ----> Scubapro MK25 S600 or Apeks Black Pearl

BC -----> Scubapro Classic Plus with air2 weigth int.

Computer-----> Uwatec Ultra

Fins ----> Scubpro Twin Jet

Mask-----> Sea Vision Ultra

P.D. if no objection with the money...

rickyscuba:
undefined

Go with what Sea Jay has said. I would add that Oxycheq signature wing is a lovely way to go as is the Halcyon.

Don't go Air2 or SP Classic. You will be unhappy.

Mk25 S600 is a great reg. I have a bunch. I even have a titanium one - a gift. They all work great. I'm also getting a pair ATX 200's shortly. Not sure that it is worth the extra money for the black pearl.

A can light is very nice. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the Halcyon 18 W. Instead I would get a 21 W for less. It should cost about $1,100 vs. $1,800 for the Halcyon. All the light manufactures are going to be switching over to the 21 W bulb very shortly. This is a friends setup which is very nice!
http://www.scubaboard.com/t73132-my-new-underwater-flamethrower.html

overexposed2X:
I'm also getting a pair ATX 200's shortly. Not sure that it is worth the extra money for the black pearl.

Agreed.

In fact, it's questionable if the 200's are even worth it.

The Apeks DS4/ATX50 has exactly the same features, with exactly the same performance as the 200, at significantly lower cost - and is thus more utilized (and more common) than the ATX200. The chrome finish of the DS4 seems to wear a bit better, stay a little cleaner, and is easier to work with than the satin or black finishes on the ATX200's first stage, too.

That said, I chose the ATX200 for my first stage(s) because of the shape of the first stage and the slightly improved hose routing. If I had to do it all again, though, I'd buy all DS4/ATX50 setups.

The Black Pearl is simply an ATX200 with a special "gunmetal" finish added to it, and a picture (sort of a reversed engraving) of a diver on it. The only differences between an ATX200 and a Black Pearl are cosmetic.

Save the money and buy the DS4/ATX50 and a dive trip to Cozumel for you and the wife instead.

SeaLawyer:
Greetings all!

New to diving. Got my PADI Open Water 3 years ago, but job change, baby, etc., kept me from getting into the sport more. Been diving once since, while on business in USVI this past March. I've now been given the green-light by my wife to go hog-wild on buying gear, so I need some advice.

I'm in Jacksonville, FL, so I'll be diving around here, both offshore and springs diving. Going tomorrow to Devil's Den & Blue Grotto. Also planning on a trip (probably Caymens) during the week of the Superbowl. Plan to get my Advanced Open water, and then Cave & Wreck quals. Not really interested in Rescue or Master at this point. Can see myself diving 20-30 times per year.

Assuming money is no object (which is mostly true), what do you recommend for total outfitting of gear? Please be specific (brand/model #/etc.). Extremely disatisfied with the rental gear on the 3 dives I've logged, except one BC I had did have integrated weights which I found to be much more comfortable than the belt. Dive shop on base carries Mares and Henderson gear for great prices, but not married to any one particular brand. I just want the best. Okay maybe not the Maclaren F1, but I'll "settle" for the Porsche GT2...

Your input and feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Vaughn

According to Rand-McNally, the best help in the world is only 96 minutes from your house.

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/

If only the rest of us were that lucky.

SeaJay:
Hey! Another MSF taker! I think you and I are the only ones, bud. Lol...

Not so fast. I took it too. It was well worth the fifty bucks.

rickyscuba:
undefined

Computer-----> Uwatec Ultra

Fins ----> Scubpro Twin Jet

Mask-----> Sea Vision Ultra

P.D. if no objection with the money...

I have to agree with all of the above! Another Scuba Pro diver (except I do have an Oceanic BC - LDS didn't have any BCs for ladies when I was buying)

Becky

I am not cave or wreck certified, so I can't even hazard a guess as to what equipement you will need. I imagine you'll have to get special equipment for that.

I, too, am a lawyer and money was an object but I still went top o the line (in my opiniont). When I first moved to Saipan, I got a beater car. My reg cost more than my car!

I don't own a diveshop, so I have no vested interest. I just think I understand your mentality. We do tend to show off a bit, and find comfort in spending more than others. Does that make me bad? I don't know. I'm comfortable with it. And I imagine you are too. I think we lawyers have the "Wang syndrome." (Not what you're thinking.... Wang computers were cheaper, but nobody who bought IBM looks foolish today...)

I have a Suunto stinger titanium watch. Looks cool. People are envious at my local shop. I also have a Suunto Cobra console computer which has never failed (with 300 + dives) and is a snap to maintain.

Twinjet fins (I swear by them).

I have (and recommend) an Atomic titanium regulator. Easiest breathing in the world, and also makes the other dive bums jealous (and I use "bum" fondly). Try any other rental reg, and then try an Atomic. You'll never ever ever go back.

I have an Air II but will probably purchase the Atomic Safe Second soon. Haven't tried it, but if it's have as good as the regulator, it's the one for me.

Spring for the Dive Alert. Spring fthe 30 bucks for the custom mouthpiece (another thing where, once tried, you'll never go back).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom