Plus sized women & dry suit rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the GREAT news is you don't have to try and fit into a stock sized drysuit :).

Where will you be doing your open water classes? Here in the Chicago area or somewhere out of state?

I'll be taking my OW class through Dive Right in Scuba (DRIS) in Plainfield. They do the open water dives at Haigh Quarry.

Well the GREAT news is you don't have to try and fit into a stock sized drysuit :).

I still have to fit the MTM dry suit into my budget, though! :wink:

I'll be taking my OW class through Dive Right in Scuba (DRIS) in Plainfield. They do the open water dives at Haigh Quarry.

I did my open water cert at Haigh Quarry in the first week of June and just used a 7mm wetsuit with a hood and was fine. I was out at Haigh two weeks ago and the water was around 65 F at 20 feet (the depth of the training platforms) So you shouldn't need a drysuit unless you really feel the need for it, a wetsuit will work fine. I've heard of Dive Right In Scuba, good shop! Maybe I'll see you out at Haigh some time!

Last edited:
Just curious, have you tried on a Aqualung Fusion Drysuit? They're relatively in-expensive, and fit a wide variety of body types.
As a tall woman with wide hips I have a hard time finding scuba gear that fits me. Women's sizes are to short, mens are to tight in the hips...

I've tried on a few different brands, and believe it or not, I get the best fit with the Fusion.

I have gone over all the size charts and my chest measurement is too large for all of them. Being well endowed can be a curse sometimes! :wink:

I did my open water cert at Haigh Quarry in the first week of June and just used a 7mm wetsuit with a hood and was fine. I was out at Haigh two weeks ago and the water was around 65 F at 20 feet (the depth of the training platforms) So you shouldn't need a drysuit unless you really feel the need for it, a wetsuit will work fine. I've heard of Dive Right In Scuba, good shop! Maybe I'll see you out at Haigh some time!

I'm going to be doing the dry suit cert at the same time as the OW class to kill two birds with one stone.

2nd on trying on the Fusion. My wife is, em, well endowed up there, and was able to pretty easily fit into my 4x Fusion. As I understand it, the 2x/3x is the same except for being for taller folks. The stretchy skin fixes all of the excess suit issues for the most part. It's worth a try if you can arrange it. It's not the be-all end-all of drysuits, but it does have it's moments for us in the hard to fit category. It's sort of the Tardis of drysuits - bigger on the inside than the outside...

2nd on trying on the Fusion. My wife is, em, well endowed up there, and was able to pretty easily fit into my 4x Fusion. As I understand it, the 2x/3x is the same except for being for taller folks. The stretchy skin fixes all of the excess suit issues for the most part. It's worth a try if you can arrange it. It's not the be-all end-all of drysuits, but it does have it's moments for us in the hard to fit category. It's sort of the Tardis of drysuits - bigger on the inside than the outside...

And how tall is your wife? I'm just under 5'5" with big boobs and hips. I have a difficult time finding regular clothes that fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom