Plus sized women & dry suit rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The largest Fusion has a max 44" bust. Mine is 47". It's also for women at least 5" taller than I am.

Plus, I really dislike the look of the Fusion suits and that zipper on the front of the shoulders. I like the DUI suit looks much better. If I'm going to be spending this much money on something, it sure isn't going to be ugly.

And how tall is your wife? I'm just under 5'5" with big boobs and hips. I have a difficult time finding regular clothes that fit.

She's 5'7". I'll PM you with some more details - no way I'm gonna' start posting that kind of thing in public :)

If you decide to do a custom fit suit, also check out the Santi suits, they have more points of measurement than a DUI. I've had a few drysuits and nothing has come close to my Santi for fit. (and it is super durable and has kept me dry and warm for many years - it was a great investment!)

I went to DRIS today to sign up for my OW/dry suit combo class (pool sessions will be done at the end of the month and check out dives mid-September). While I was there, we tried to see if they could find a rental dry suit to fit me. At first they had me try a Santi women's suit, but I couldn't get the undergarment past my hips/belly, so they pulled out a men's Aqua Lung Mk2 Arctic jumpsuit, size large. I had to suck in my stomach a bit to get it zipped up, but I was pleasantly surprised that it fit in the chest. The arms and legs were just a wee bit too long, which surprised me since I'm only 5'5"! :wink:It was a wee bit tight in the stomach/waist, but I could still crouch down just fine.

They had me a try a Fusion men's suit (don't remember the size). It fit through the torso, but the arms and legs were just too long to be a good fit. They ended up bunched up. I was told to come back on a Tuesday or Wednesday night as more rentals will be in the store. A lot of suits were out on rentals. The great woman helping me seems to think they'll be able to get be a better arms/legs fit for me in a Fusion women's suit.

My dislike of the Fusion zipper placement is now confirmed. I had a very difficult time with it and the DRIS employee had to do it up for me. The diagonal zipper seems much easier to do.

I imagine you have been advised that something like up to four alterations to a stock size Santi can be made without the cost of going to a full custom suit. A lot of people are unaware of this policy. I'm not sure about the undergarment policy, but I know arms and legs can be altered, too. My men's Santi E-Motion was a stock size on which they shortened the arms and legs for me.

I imagine you have been advised that something like up to four alterations to a stock size Santi can be made without the cost of going to a full custom suit. A lot of people are unaware of this policy. I'm not sure about the undergarment policy, but I know arms and legs can be altered, too. My men's Santi E-Motion was a stock size on which they shortened the arms and legs for me.

I did not know that. I was leaning towards DUI as I like to buy American made whenever possible, but there seem to be a lot of issues with their suits from other posters on SB. On the positive side for Santi is that DRIS is a dealer. I would have had to go to another DS in the Chicago area for DUI. I'll keep doing my research.

ETA: I just tried the Santi Sizer app. No direct match for my measurements. I'll email DRIS and ask their input. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can tell you this much, if you want to get fit in a dry suit, you are dealing with the right shop. They will get you fitted.

I can tell you this much, if you want to get fit in a dry suit, you are dealing with the right shop. They will get you fitted.

They came very highly recommended by the friend who inspired me to try diving. The two times I've been in the store, they have been excellent. I deal continually with cruddy customer service in the course of my job, so I recognize excellent customer service when I encounter it, and support the companies who offer it.

I wear a ML Fusion Essence and my chest and butt/hips are both bigger than the measurements in the size chart, and it fits fine. As a matter of fact it fit just fine 15 lbs larger than I am now too. If DRIS has a ML or L essence for you to try, I'm pretty sure it would fit even if you're over the bust measurements on their size charts.

Back
Top Bottom