• 41 - 50 lbs

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • 51 - 60 lbs

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 61+ lbs

Votes: 51 29.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just curious if anyone else ends up with a stack of unneeded lead like I did!

Feel free to add more clarification in the form of a post.

I don't own any because in fresh water I don't need any. And if I'm in salt water, I flew there. So I don't want to have to screw around with weights in luggage :)

8 pounds total:

2 2# ankle weights with straps cut off
2 1# ankle weights with straps cut off
2 1# soft weights.

I use the soft weights to weight my GoPro so I can set it down and let fish swim up to it.
The 1# ankle weights are used when I am in salt water with dual AL80s in sidemount. They fit in my wing.
The 2# ankle weights are for when I am in salt water with a single AL80 sidemount. Again, they fit in my wing.

All of my fresh water diving is done with dual steel 104's so no weight needed.

I've found a lot of weight belts through the years! Last year was a 30lb belt. Fishing sinkers too, lbs of them. I cast my own bullets so lead is always around. I don't know how many weights I have but I'm sure it's over 70lbs.

I own a lot of lead ... well over 100 lbs worth ... in various sizes and forms. But being an instructor I have uses for all of it.

In fact, I just purchased replacements for the six 2#, two 3# and two 1# weights that got stolen out of my car last month.

I also own three weight belts and two BCDs with integrated weight systems ... one BP/W with Dive Rite weight pockets on the harness and one Dive Rite Nomad sidemount rig with four back-mounted weight pockets.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I wear 26 lbs of lead in a single tank setup at home, and Peter wears about 20, so just for the two of us, that's almost 50 lbs! But we have also accumulated a lot of extra weights, which come in handy with students.

The best story is this one: I had a birthday party for Peter's 60th, and had it catered. I got to talking to one of the women who served, and she was asking about the scuba gear in the house. She told me a former boyfriend had left some weights at her house, and would we like them? I of course said an emphatic, "Yes!", so a couple of days later, we rendezvoused and I picked up about thirty pounds of lead. She would not accept any payment for any of it.

About a year and a half later, an unfamiliar car drove up our driveway, and it didn't turn around, as most people who are lost do. So I went out to find out what was up, and it was the same lady. She had been cleaning up and had found about 20 more pounds of lead, and remembered that we were happy to have it!

I dunno, 50-60? (was for 2 of us!) Don't dive locally anymore. Some of it is weighing down my portable greenhouses, some is weighing down the tarp on my woodpile...

with AL80 tank:
7 mil farmer john: 41 lbs.
shorty: 18 lbs.
body suit: 12 lbs.
of course subtract 5-6 lbs. if using my steel 71.2 tank

6lb ss plate w/ 6lb weighted sta
steel hp100 & 7mil wetsuit
I own 2 #3's weights in tankband trim pockets..

I took a guess at 31-40#. I inherited most of it, and recently purchased 20 or so pounds of soft weights. I don't really know. When we take off for a weekend trip we pack what we expect to use. The boat is limited in its denominations so we bring our own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom