Popular Specialities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I would feel that way about my Master's degree - but you know, I'd trade it in for a refund of my time and money in an instant :)

LOL this is the truth and it just reenforces my theory. People achieve things that denotes excellent achievement in life yet when you try to cash in on it you only make minumum wage :( I know I have seen want ads say something to the effect of "Wanted computer programer with 10 years experience. Must have x years of college and a bachelors degree starting pay 8.75 hr."

So with this in mind the master diver like the degree is as only valuable as the person on the other end allows it to be.

So if some one wants the master diver to denote superior achievement Go for it and awesome that one earns it. If they see it as a waste then attempt a diffrent level and again awesome when they achieve it :)

To Recreational Divers:
What specialities do you most want to learn?

I enjoyed all my courses. The only ones I have felt necessary, however, were Nitrox, Deep + Rescue. Nitrox because I can get nitrox fills now (have to show the card at most shops_, Deep because I can now dive all the recreational sites with local charters (again, have to show the card if I want to dive sites beyond 18m), and Rescue because the skills I learned on that were very useful.

I have also done Night, Drift and Navigation but this is because I needed four specialties to get AOW. They were fun but in hindsight unnecessary and probably going out and spending the course money on my own night, drift and navigation dives would have been the same level of fun. I did kind of have drysuit instruction in that a former instructor went over maintenance at the store and then came to the dive site with us and helped us do a weight check, but not a formal course (just complimentary with the suit purchase).

I have no further plans for any specialties at a recreational level (Cavern is next eventually :)).

And are you aiming for Master Scuba Diver?

No I never planned to get the card. However, the LDS gave me a Master diver card free along with my Rescue card so I guess I am a Master Scuba Diver now :wink: I do not see the point of this certification personally (not bagging out others who do, it is just how I feel about it) as it does not require any extra learning or instructing (at least with PADI and SSI). Some people like the recognition though, probably the majority of people, so I consider myself in the minority here. Honestly, I think given that it is a card of recognition, it should really be provided free when people complete the qualifications. Otherwise I see it as making students pay to be recognised, which I don't get. I guess I could have just answered your question with 'no' but oh well that explains my reasoning. :)

I agree. If they want to have a "recognition card" - it should be free, with the 5th specialty. It should also list the specialties used to get it :)

I don't mean to go off topic, but reading posts it would seem that the PADI MSD is not worth getting. I am OW with PADI. I love diving and have thought about doing something professionally when I am both more confident and competant in my abilities. do I need to change agencies to get respected certs/ratings if I ever decide to pursue teaching/instructing of scuba diving? again I am sorry for the off topic post. I do want to get nitrox, PPB, photo, and don't think I would take the boat or naturalist(at least not right away).

PADI is a respected agency and there are many Instructors crap and brilliant accross all the organisation. The training doesn't differ much, as they are all based off the same theory (some people will argue the toss about this, but its based on the same, never stop breathing etc, its all the same but worded differently).

The msd is worth getting. Its like anything else in life though if some one feels it is not worth it then they will come up with every excuse to why its not worth it. Treat both sides as what they trully are "Opinions" Me personally I love the rating as it denotes achievement. Others prefer just to be able to dive and brag of how they teach. I respect all sides personally but do recommend going for your MSD.

I whole heartedly agree. If it is worth something to you, get it. I am at college studying the BTEC National Diploma for IT Practitioners (Level 3 course, just before Uni) and I am doing it because I want to. k ellis you put this into perspective for me and I think I am going to go for it because I love diving and it has always been something I have aimed for!

Thank you!

Bobby

I also agree that it should be given with the 5th speciality, maybe something other PADI Professionals could look at doing? I know thats probably what I'll be doing!

Bobby

It is interesting that the PADI MSD rating is normally the one that comes in for stick (and I don't disagree with any of it - it is essentially a badge collector's badge - and I say that as someone who has the badge). But ironically PADI imposes slightly higher requirements than the other major agencies (NAUI being the honourable exception) to get the Master C-Card.

Master SCUBA Diver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is interesting that the PADI MSD rating is normally the one that comes in for stick (and I don't disagree with any of it - it is essentially a badge collector's badge - and I say that as someone who has the badge). But ironically PADI imposes slightly higher requirements than the other major agencies (NAUI being the honourable exception) to get the Master C-Card.

Master SCUBA Diver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears wikipedia might be incorrect?

From PADI Master Diver Requirements

Prerequisites

* PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
* PADI Rescue Diver or Junior Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization)
* 12 years old
* Minimum of five PADI Specialty Diver courses
* Minimum of 50 logged dives

It does not specify here if Rescue comes under one of the five PADI Specialty Diver courses. Perhaps someone who has done it can fill us in? If it does, this makes it equivalent to SSI's Master Diver program.

As far as PADI is concerned - Rescue diver is not considered a specialty. It is one step in the educational process.

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    getimage.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 19
You need AOW & rescue (or equivalent from another agency), 5 specialities and 50 dives.

Quite why having done that someone would pay extra money for a card that grants them nothing further and teaches them nothing is a mystery to me unless they're the sad type of individual that likes to sew cloth badges onto jackets etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom