Potential gear config- opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue! once bubbled...

What I'm thinking:

For Me:
- Apeks ATX-50/ATX-40, 7' hose on primary; DS4 first stage, DIN
- SS BP/W - undecided on plate & wing brands (FredT or S&W plate & Oxycheq 30# wing?)
- Suunto D3 bottom timer. (The UWATEC & OMS bottom timers look so darn large...I haven't seen them in local shops, however.)
- I use a 3mm full body neoprene suit right now

For Her: (heck, we can't match...)
- Scubapro Mk25/S600 (she prefers light, smaller regs) or maybe Atomic Z1 or M1 (though concerned about servicing Atomic when we're out of the country or out of our local area) - also with 7' hose on primary
- Scubapro Ladyhawk (which she loved the feel of in the LDS, but hasn't tried w/ a tank & open water) vs. SS BP/W (she has yet to try one)
- Suunto Vyper
- She also uses 3mm neoprene

Comments?

Thanks,
Jim

Your setup looks pretty good. The Apeks reg is a good choice, but I would go with two ATX50's. I think Halcyon is the best as far as BP/Wing setups go. I like UWATEC bottom timers.

I would reconsider on your wife's setup. She might not be into diving as much as you, but you still need to make sure she has good gear. Since you're familiar with DIR, I'm sure you know all the reasons why the LadyHawk BC is not such a great choice. If it were me, I would buy her the exact same setup I ended up getting. If she wants different regs, that's cool...ScubaPro regs are great too. Also, don't get her a computer...go with another bottom timer.

Sounds good, but my recommendations pretty much echo what a lot of other people have said.

Stick with one brand, preferrably the same second stage and definitely first stage (same shop, same rebuild kits, so on). Very few people have problems with ScubaPros in cold water and I've never heard of anyone having problems with Apeks, I'd stay away from Atomics.

Get a Vyper (or Stinger if you like the small size) instead of a BT, it will do the same as a bt and allow you to run a computer on those ww reefs

Get your wife a BP/wing, I don't have to tell you why, you know why :)

For BP/wings I love my Dive Rite SS plate and Venture, at least give 'em a look-see.

Good luck and Go Blue... and Orange :)

Ben

Appreciate all the advice. We've had the opportunity to try a Halcyon pioneer #27 SS BP/W in a pool, and loved the feel (although they were borrowed sets and weren't optimally adjusted for us).

We're now looking at 2 sets of ATX-200/ATX40(octo), Suunto Vyper (will use as BT when doing further training, but will be nice for some of the relaxed, rec diving), OMS small SPGs, BP/W setups (still debating type, material, wing lift).

I'm thinking of a FredT backplate & am debating SS vs. aluminum. No need to comment on these differences here, as I'll probably post in the near future in a thread on weighting once I crunch the numbers a bit more. I'm also liking the looks of the Oxycheq wings, and am debating 30# vs. 45#....seems there's no disadvantage to the 45# wing as the trim/exterior is identical (at least according to Genesis!), but it also seems a bit unnecessary. How my setup may be affected should I venture into drysuit diving (likely within the next couple years) I have no idea, as I readily admit to not knowing anything about dry suit diving at this point in my diving career.

I also recognize that many feel that the extra $$$ is not necessarily worth it to buy an ATX200 vs. ATX50/DS4. Perhaps I'm falling for the "am I going to always wonder, what if I would've spent the few extra $$ for the current 'top-o'the-line'?" I realize this has been beaten to death in other threads as well.

In sum, thanks for all the advice so far. It's encouraged my wife to try a BP/W (which she LOVED) and we're now going to get identical rigs to save on (1) servicing logistics; (2) spare parts; (3) familiarity; etc.

Jim

Once you get the BP adjusted for you, the fit is amazing.

Sounds good although I would still go with a bottom timer over a computer.

If you like the ATX200 better, then get that. It's a great reg from what I've heard, but the DS4/ATX50 will perform the same.

I bought a Halcyon setup because they sell everything as a complete package...I don't have to go hunting for individual pieces to make a complete rig. Plus, I think that Halcyon has the best quality and design out there. Everything works right out of the box.

When I do dive single tanks in a wetsuit, I use my 27lbs Pioneer wing. I have also used it with a drysuit...no problems...plenty of lift. (I usually don't need to add weight w/ a drysuit...most people do.) Most people will suggest that you get the 36lbs wing if you intend to use it with a drysuit later on. (Extra bouyancy to handle the extra weight needed with a drysuit) So, I would probably go with the 36lbs wing if drysuit diving looked like a possibility...27lbs if diving wet most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom