Power: modified flutter kick VS Frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avic7:
Do you guys use ankle weights? Does it affect your stroke?
Also what about bending your knees? Do u you think you can get rid of your ankle weights once you bend ur knees to do the frog or modified flutter kick?
Good question.
I'm assuming you dive in a drysuit.

I find that as long as I don't have air the feet of my drysuit I don't have a need for ankle weights. When my feet get all floaty then I angle up slightly and vent the air from my boots.
To answer your question - no you shouldn't need ankle weights.

I mostly use the frog - I'm curious as to what people are calling the "modified" flutter - I only the GUE teaches that is a pretty cool little kick that I use sometimes - I suspect in this thread some are refering to it simply as a PADI type flutter kick withouth locking the knees - which is a horible kick IMO.

Thanks OE2X.
Out of curiosity, do you use your BCD or your drysuit to control your buoyancy?
For me, I add air to my drysuit for insulation as well as buoyancy. So my feet end up with lots of air causing to have a feet first uncontrolled ascent. That is why I use ankle weights. I hope to get out of them soon.

Avic7:
Thanks OE2X.
For me, I add air to my drysuit for insulation as well as buoyancy. So my feet end up with lots of air causing to have a feet first uncontrolled ascent. That is why I use ankle weights. I hope to get out of them soon.

I don't use ankle weights...never have...

I also don't use my DS for buoyancy....and have very little air in it most of the time.

I guess it really depends on the situation, most of the time I use the (modified) frog kick because it gives me the comfort of gliding over slowly, while using the normal flutter kick while tending the mild current and glide over the reef. But there are times when frog kick would potentially damage the corals around, like when passing thru a passageway/alley, so flutter it is then.

In my dives, I switched from frog to flutter and back to frog; depending on situation, places and the mood.

I am a big fan of split fins and found when i started using them i didnt get leg or foot cramps anymore. What would be the best type of stroke to use to get maximum efficiency and minimum air consumption?

lissette:
I am a big fan of split fins and found when i started using them i didnt get leg or foot cramps anymore. What would be the best type of stroke to use to get maximum efficiency and minimum air consumption?

I think, Lisette, if you read around, you'll discover that most people concede the frog kick in a non split fin is your best option for efficiency and minimum air consumption. Proper technique will go a long way towards both eliminating cramps and reducing your SAC rate.

Anyone use the volvo fins to do the frog kick?

Avic7:
Anyone use the volvo fins to do the frog kick?
No, but I have some Volkswagen fins, and I've used Ford fins. :eyebrow:

I had a buddy who swore by his Volo's... I ended up making him some spring straps for them. Then he tried a set of Turtle Fins. He hasn't worn his Volo's since.

Avic7:
Thanks OE2X.
For buoyancy I use my BPW. For insulation I use my drysuit.
I like others add only enough air into my suit to stay warm and to keep from squeezing vital parts.

If you want to give up your ankle weights you might want to opt for using the bcd for your buoyancy. Also when you go to dive in warm water then you will be well accustomed to using your bcd.

There are a couple of positive aspects of getting rid of the ankle weights:
You will have a feet up position, thus keeping your fins from stirring up the bottom.
You will experience less muscle fatigue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom