Practice Makes Perfect...But How Do You Get Practice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations on your certification!

What you are facing is a common problem that stalls many divers needlesly.

Courses are one way to encounter divers, You can read threads about when to do AOW. In general it's best to get a few dives behind you IMO. Most other courses will follow AOW. If you are serious about having trouble swimming go see a recomended local instructor about a few guided training dives. This will also indoctrinate you into cold water gear, set-up and practices.

Diving from Quincy MA is a whole different deal than in the BVI. Your exposure protection will be more significant, visibility will be less as well as a number ro other details. Most or all of your dives were probably overseen by instuctors or dive masters. Your goal is to become comfortable diving with peers.

That said you need to be diving with some locals. Most shops conduct weekly dives, at least in the comfortable months. These may be weekends and may include some evenings. They are usually drop-in affairs and divers pair up and go. Over time you will meet divers that you share objectives with and that's great. If you are really lucky you will find a mentor or 2 along the way.

If you are standing there and some divers are planning a dive, especially a shore dive when boat capacity is not an issue I want you to get these words out of your mouth," May I tag along"? Those 4 words have opened many doors for me. Be sure to understand the dive objectives and make sure it's in your comfort zone. Night and deep will come with time, for now seek nice easy shore dives to let you gain basic skill. If need be catch dives from several shops until you find a culture you like. Bouncing around is OK too.

Do your best, be honest about your experience level, stay in your comfort zone, be punctual and all that good stuff.

Be prepared to share contact info. I printed up some "buddy cards". These are little business cards with my name, phone numbers and email adress. As folks reciprocate begin to network. Sending a "looking to dive e mail" will get things going. Also watch your local Scuba Board Forum, "The New England Lobsta Divahs".

In short get out there be involved and enthusiatic. In our network of divers freshly minted divers are always welcome. And if you get stuck and don't mind a drive to southern Maine PM me.

Saying you need a drysuit until July is your choice and many dive dry year round up here. I am dry for the winter however 5 of us dove wet yesterday in the 40F ocean. I was fine and gained further respect for my wetsuit, it was quite surprising. I'm quite sure that by June 1 making wet dives should be perfectly doable in a good, well fit wetsuit.

Getting into your own gear will make you more flexible and ready to go. Diving the same gear every time will catapult your skills and comfort.

Good luck and keep in touch!
Pete

Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone! Spectrum, you hit the nail on the head - I know conditions here will be very different from in the BVI, and while I was pretty comfortable there, it's a whole new game up here.

Unfortunately, as some people suggested, moving to a warmer locale just isn't feasible right now - my husband is an attorney here and I am in law school, so we're staying. That means I need to get comfortable with the conditions here so I can keep diving. Husband is not a possible dive partner either, since he stopped after Discover Scuba and went snorkeling for the rest of the trip.

So, I need to find some locals to dive with, and the place to start seems to be my LDS, especially since I want to start researching gear so I can buy my own. It's nice to hear that some experienced divers won't mind having a guppy along for the trip - I guess I am a little shy about my lack of experience (don't want to hold others back).

And yeah, the dry suit thing. I say that I'll probably need one because I was cold diving in a shortie and had to wear two of them - in the BVI, in 80 degree water. So I'm pretty sure I would be cold up here, even with a higher gauge wetsuit. But again, the place to begin sorting this out is the LDS...to which I will head at the soonest opportunity!

Queen, you need to PM TSandM (and perhaps read her journal). Although she has a built in buddy (me) she made a decision she wanted to find more experienced divers with whom to dive. So she bit the bullet and put out an email on our LDS's elist -- that led to a couple of people who took her out; which led to ScubaBoard and a few more locals who were willing to put up with her; which led to the dark side.

If she can hook up with people, ANYONE can. You'll find the ScubaWorld full of good divers who are just looking for someone to infect with the disease. Oh, and be prepared to open your wallet!

Queen,

Welcome to diving, it is a great journey. I think that at the beginning of the joureny a lot of people feel the way you do -- I know I did. Continue to dive and take a few more classes. The PADI equipment class will help you feel more comfortable with your gear and also help you make gear choices when you get to that point.

The next step, get you husband to dive. I started diving because my husband did and it has given us a great sport to do together. We've been diving buddy for the past 18 years and we still love it.

join a group & invite friends to go diving with you. it is much enjoyable that way. :D my group practically goes diving every weekend since it's very accessible. go out & have a sense of adventure! :D

Last year we talked two of our friends into taking the OW class. They are addicted now and the four of us travel and dive together. It's a blast.

Queen Angelfish

You have the right idea. there's no need to consider moving and it would be a crying shame not to enjoy diving from where you are. IMO a frequent active local diver will a safer more competent diver. The best diving it the kind you have frequent affordable access to. Warm water and great visibility is not everything, to me.

Depending on your time table starting dry may or may not be the way to go. There is a world of difference between layered shorties and properly fit 7mm wetsuit outfit. In all likelyhood you could enjoy diving wet from Mid June to Mid October. I dove wet yesterday just for the heck of it since my 4 buddies were doing the same. Some will suggest going dry year round for New England diving and that is not unreasonable. I closed the loop yesterday and know to my core that diving wet is my first love and I will do so when prudent. Trying a good rental 7mm in a few months or even now may be a telling experieince. My exposure protection never ceases to amaze me. If an extended season is your plan I would certainly suggest to plan for a drysuit to augment your wetsuit or in place of it.

The ScubaBoard Gear forums are your friends. Becoming gear savvy will be more work than getting certified. Take your time, read and pick lots of brains.

Pete

I probably won't be able to go on a dive until May anyway, since I am in school and crazy busy now with finals approaching. But in the meantime, I intend to check out the local LDS and start doing my gear research (and maybe make a few little purchases along the way, like a mask, snorkel and fins!). Given what Spectrum and others have suggested, I think I will try a good rental 7mm w/hood, booties, etc. and see how it goes. I admit, I like the idea of diving in a wetsuit better anyway since that's what I'm familiar with. Maybe I can dive wet for the summer and then move up to a dry suit once I have more experience & am more comfortable. I can't afford a dry suit now anyway! (Your point about opening my wallet is well taken, PeterGuy!)

Check into all your local dive clubs, You may want to join multiple dive clubs. Also check out the Yahoo groups www.groups.yahoo.com lists that may originate from your area. We operate one in the Pacific northwest that is similar to a dive club but without the politics. We set up tons of diving opportunity and keep divers diving all year long.

Local dives set up by the different dive shops in your area are also a great way to go.

If you find a dive buddy or two that you really like diving with then great.

Keep up with your education and never give up on practicing your skills.

I hope you enjoy diving for many years to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom