Predive checklist slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well you could make your own.

I do know that some CCR divers have a small slate as a checklist.

You could have your own custom one made Custom Designed Dive Slates and Cards
Yes, making your own makes sense. Now, are you talking about your pre-dive procedures, such as BWRAF, making sure air is on, etc.? After a while you won't need that unless you are an infrequent diver. If you're talking about a list of needed equipment (ie., so you don't get to the site without your mask or hood), you won't need that either if you store everything together in a way that you CAN'T forget anything. When I go for some time to another location (ie. months in Florida or weeks in NY), I just make sure I have everything I need for that diving-- as it may vary slightly from my local diving. I found after a while I needed no lists for anything, including weighting for different wetsuits-- how many different suits/types of tanks does one have?

You can buy one of these and write it down on one page:

1. Wrist slate, example: XS Scuba Folding Wrist Slate | Underwater writing pads | Varuste.net English
  2. Wetnotes, example: Apeks Wetnotes

These are sold in the U.K., just find something similar at your local shop. I use wet notes but some of my buddies prefer wrist slates.

You can remove pencil off these by using a magic eraser and some washing liquid soap (when you don’t need that checklist in your notes anymore or if you want to amend it)

I also use a plastic mechanical pencil (attached with a bit of line), it is this one:
  • Pilot AP-CR4-6B Croquis 6B Sketch Pen

If I were going to do this, I'd write it out and then keep it in a Ziploc bag in my mask box as that's the last bit of kit I put on.

Wet-notes are cheap, and you can just manually write down whatever checklist you like.

I would also echo what others here have said:

After a while you won't need that unless you are an infrequent diver. If you're talking about a list of needed equipment (ie., so you don't get to the site without your mask or hood), you won't need that either if you store everything together in a way that you CAN'T forget anything.

Broadly speaking, you'll want to build up good habits which don't rely on things like check-lists. Aside from BARF, perhaps an easier one to remember is ABCDEF

A = Air (check air is on, 3000psi)
B = BCD (BCD is inflated, hooped up, works)
C = Dive Computer / Console
D = Weights (maybe Weights doesn't start with a D, but who cares)
E = Eyes .... meaning scuba-mask.
F = Fins

Similar goes for things like monitoring your air-pressure during a dive. I was always super-nervous about not monitoring air and running out before I became a diver. Over time, I've gotten used to a fairly consistent routine of knowing about how long my air lasts at a given depth, and monitoring it more frequently, the deeper I go. (I've also added a redundant air-supply, but never come anywhere close to running out unexpectedly)

If you do dive very infrequently, my next suggestion is buddy-checks! You can always ask another diver to buddy-check you, and 99% of the time they should be happy to check your gear. The other 1% of the time, just ask another diver. (If a diver turns down you buddy checking their gear, don't worry about that)

Wet-notes are cheap, and you can just manually write down whatever checklist you like.

I would also echo what others here have said:

Broadly speaking, you'll want to build up good habits which don't rely on things like check-lists. Aside from BARF, perhaps an easier one to remember is ABCDEF

A = Air (check air is on, 3000psi)
B = BCD (BCD is inflated, hooped up, works)
C = Dive Computer / Console
D = Weights (maybe Weights doesn't start with a D, but who cares)
E = Eyes .... meaning scuba-mask.
F = Fins
G = Gloves

Several years ago I made a Scuba Vacation Check List. In addition to using it while packing for vacation, I use the applicable sections to gather the all of the equipment I'll need the day before a local dive.

Nearly all of my diving is from my boat. 350 plus dives since certification, I still use "Begin With A Review and Friend" (BCD, Weights, Air, Releases and Final Check) for myself and visually check my buddy before back rolling off the gunnel. Since I'm at the helm while other divers prepare for their dive, I always do a BWARF visual check and ask "Air on" before killing the engine and saying DIVE, DIVE DIVE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom