Prescription bifocal mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally, several years ago bought a mask (Probably about $300) custom ground to my prescription for far and near sightedness. This year, I felt I needed a backup so I bought one on Ebay for $49 that fit my nearsightedness prescription and then bought inserts for the close up vision. This is the mask I now use. The original one works but the eBay one fits better, is more comfortable and doesn't leak.

Obviously everyone's face is different but for me, the cheapie eBay mask was the ticket. It was certainly work the $49 that I paid for it. My old expensive mask is now my backup.

Jim

I just placed my mask in a box yesterday and sent it to PrescriptionDiveMasks.com in California along with an order form. I am getting a bifocal lens made, so I will be able to let you know how it is in about 10-15 days.

If you are in Switzerland as the location in your profile suggests, you might give Uli Mößlang of Optik Heydenreich Tauchglaeser für Tauchbrillen Tauchmasken
in Munich a chance. He made my mask three years ago, I am very satisfied.

Thanks for the tip. A lot of good feedback on this person. I am going to the eye Doctro next week and will then contact Uli to see how to proceed. Not sure I want to fly to Munich.. Would make it an expensive mask.
Also I now need to find the right mask as until now it was provided by Seavision (no name).

---------- Post added October 5th, 2014 at 08:00 AM ----------

You originally asked about bifocal, now you mention progressive. Prescription Dive Masks does bifocals.

Good observation!
I was unaware that there was now a possibility to get progressive lenses for dive masks. I do wear progressive on earth. There seems to be disagreements (as usual) on whether or not it is suited for diving? My main issue with bifocal is reading as I have a hsrd time to find the right angle / distance to read "small print" on my computer (for example for gas changes).
I will discuss it further with the optometrist and see.

My wife just got a TUSA mask with corrective lenses. TUSA makes the lenses for several of their masks. I called Divers Supply and the guy went and got the mask and the corrective lenses ( I had my wife's prescription) while I was still on the phone. Popped the new lenses in and shipped it out that day. Free shipping. here is a link to the mask she got. Several other TUSA masks will accept the corrective lenses also. She loves the mask and the vision she has with it. Total spent - about $140.

Tusa

I can't even imagine what else I'd see if my mask had prescription lenses! Maybe those whales I encounter are actually boat hulls. Seriously, the difference between what I see (and film) underwater and what I see in my footage topside with my glasses on will eventually have me doing this myself.

I can't even imagine what else I'd see if my mask had prescription lenses! Maybe those whales I encounter are actually boat hulls. Seriously, the difference between what I see (and film) underwater and what I see in my footage topside with my glasses on will eventually have me doing this myself.
I love your sense of humor , Bill....

Jim..

AQUATIC OPTICS, Inc. Prescription, Corrective Lenses Price List

I would recommend Aquatic Optics, Inc. (link above). I have a few lenses from them and now have bifocals. They have blanks for plenty of manufacturers including Tusa on their website. You don't have to send your mask in at all. I did have several conversations with them and it requires some thought from you as to how big an area you want for the close up correction. I reduced the strength of my bifocal portion because you don't necessarily want to have to hold your computer 12 inches from your face. Do consider what kind of computer you have and how you usually view it underwater and/or any viewpoints.

This is why I now have a 45 degree viewfinder for my underwater camera housing. I could no longer see my old point and shoot camera display clearly nor tell whether the critter was in focus. With my newer camera and the 45d viewfinder I can put my mask with the distance correction up to it and see a very crisp image through my camera.

I would also recommend having a couple of masks with prescription lenses. Lenses can break especially when you take your hood off in the parking lot forgetting your mask is still there. Plunk on the pavement and broken, of course it could have been on a dive boat and over the side too.

I'm sort of obsessive about my corrective lenses - I like sharp vision and found the Seavision to give me both great distant and great bifocal vision. Their mask fit me perfectly - it doesn't leak and doesn't hit the bridge of the nose (which was a problem with other masks I've tried).

Just received my mask today. I won't get to be underwater with it until the 25th, but it appears to be well put together and works as advertised at least when holding it up to my face in my office. I tried looking at the pattern of the carpet with and without the mask as an analog for looking at coral at a distance of 6-10 feet and I think I am going to like this a lot. I did get a small bifocal wedge added to the bottom of the lens, and tested it by looking at my work badge attached to my belt with the main lens and the bifocal lens as an analog for looking down at my dive computer or a camera. It also works well and I am glad I did it, since I think I would have had problems looking at them through the main lens. I will let you know how it works underwater, but at least sitting here in my office, it appears to be money well spent.

And Dr. Bill, as primary spotter for my wife and her camera, I have to do everything I can to get an edge and earn my keep lest she trade me in on a new and improved model with better eyes (and/or abs).

My wife just got a TUSA mask with corrective lenses. TUSA makes the lenses for several of their masks. I called Divers Supply and the guy went and got the mask and the corrective lenses ( I had my wife's prescription) while I was still on the phone. Popped the new lenses in and shipped it out that day. Free shipping. here is a link to the mask she got. Several other TUSA masks will accept the corrective lenses also. She loves the mask and the vision she has with it. Total spent - about $140.
Tusa

Just to be clear, you called Diver Supply purchased the mask and they could add in-stock readers? Sweet! Can you please me a link to Diver Supply - a search comes up,with a few shops with the same name. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom