Primary regs too heavy to travel - options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some advice on how I should modify my current gear set to make it easier to travel with carry-on only.

I am a relatively new diver with about 2.5 year experience and 100 dives. I bought myself first set of gears a year ago:
  • Mares Abyss Navy
  • Mares Instinct octo
  • Apeks 3 gauge consoles with compass
  • Aqua lung Zuma BCD
  • Aqua lung Fusion dry suit
  • Oceanic Geo 2.0 computer
  • Mares Volo fins
  • Scubapro Go fins (for travel)
The reason I bought Abyss was because I wanted one set of regs that can used in both cold and warm water. Because I live in Toronto, the only decent dives nearby would be Tobermory where the water drops to 2'C / 35F deeper than 70ft or so. I also travel to British Columbia often due to friends and family - the northwest pacific coast water calls for dry suit too. Nonetheless, I only do cold water diving 2-3 weekends a year during the summer. Most of my regular diving trips are in warm water. I found my existing reg set with large 1st stage, heavy 3 gauge console and extra dry suit hose increasing burdensome to drag around on trips.

I've done some research and am considering 2 options:

1) keep Mares Abyss + Instinct, but replace the SPG with a pressure only mini console.
Pro: still one set of regs and won't cost much. I may use the $ saved for a new wireless tank pod and dive computer.
Con: the weight reduction will be limited.

2) purchase a new Aqualung Mikron (old version $299 on leisurepro) + Airsource 3 ($239 which fits my Zuma BCD) + a mini SPG.
Pro: it will probably trim the weight down by 2-4 lbs
Con: It will cost more than replacing the SPG alone. I will also have two sets of regs to maintain and the cost can add up in the long run. Also, the airsource 3 is not cold water certified for 35F which means I may have to swap it out from the BCD when I dive cold.

Would greatly appreciate your insights.

Related questions:
1) I have never used the depth gauge or compass on my console - I rely on my computer and dive guide for that. If I ditch them and opt for a mini SPG, is it recommended from a safety perspective?
2) Is it recommended to solely rely on a wireless tank pod for recreational diving these days?

ditch the console for a 1.5" slimline SPG only, that'll probably save a pound.

airsource doesn't actually save weight

if you are using a tank pod only, which I'm fine with, you should have an analog gauge just in case. Doesn't need to be on the rig, but should be with you so it doesn't amount to any weight savings.

You can also go to all braided hoses which may cut a pound out of your total rig weight. Going to primary donate setup with short hoses may also cut a little bit.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I frequently travel by air, and carry upwards three regs, two computers, a GoPro and my mask in carry on. The rest gets packed in my checked bags. Granted, I don't have a 3 gauge console (only an spg) on my regs, but that's a pretty trivial difference in weight.

ditch the console for a 1.5" slimline SPG only, that'll probably save a pound.

airsource doesn't actually save weight

if you are using a tank pod only, which I'm fine with, you should have an analog gauge just in case. Doesn't need to be on the rig, but should be with you so it doesn't amount to any weight savings.

You can also go to all braided hoses which may cut a pound out of your total rig weight. Going to primary donate setup with short hoses may also cut a little bit.

Thank you Tbone!
I guess I definitely should replace the SPG - so, I can have one in my bag as backup, but only rely on the wireless pod during the dive.
Thanks for confirming that airsource doesn't save weight.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I frequently travel by air, and carry upwards three regs, two computers, a GoPro and my mask in carry on. The rest gets packed in my checked bags. Granted, I don't have a 3 gauge console (only an spg) on my regs, but that's a pretty trivial difference in weight.

Ryan - I fly down to Cozumel for long weekends often and prefer to travel with a carry-on duffel only. With a BCD and a Sony A6300 + strobe + housing set, there really isn't much space left in the carry on...

It's easy to remove the dry suit hose when you don't need it. Then replace the console with an SPG and a wristmount compass.

Your Geo 2.0 is a sufficient replacement for a depth gauge but does not function as a compass. I wouldn't want to make it a practice to dive without a compass on a regular basis myself.

I have taken all my gear except fins in my carry on in the past, and my regs aren't especially compact or light.

Ryan - I fly down to Cozumel for long weekends often and prefer to travel with a carry-on duffel only. With a BCD and a Sony A6300 + strobe + housing set, there really isn't much space left in the carry on...

Ah ha, that makes more sense. I agree, I really prefer to travel "light and fast." Unfortunately, I just kind of gave that up in favor of bringing all my gear with me on longer trips.

Cressi and someone else make dual mini gauges - not much heavier than a single spg - but some since they have a boot. They're physically smaller than standard gauges - I have Scubapro's version. Cressi Mini Gauge Set

Atomic makes a SS1 octo/inflator in titanium but they're uber expensive. Breathes the same as their primaries.

An expensive weight loss would be to switch your Zuma for an original Zeagle Covert which weighs 3.9 lbs vs. over 5 for the Zuma. IDK the weight of the new Covert XL I've seen a Covert rolled up - it's about the size of a fat newspaper if space is also an issue.

I'm not recommending this but you can also still buy an Aeris Jetpack - which becomes your carry-on in non-dive mode. Price has really dropped - not sure how popular they were.
Aeris Jetpack Travel System

Last edited:
I would ditch the console as well; not only for weight savings, but it's more convenient IMO to use a bare SPG on a 24" hose and a wrist computer. I second t-bone's idea of the braided hoses, they are lighter and they pack smaller as well. When I have to carry a bunch of dive gear, I usually take the hoses off the regs and pack everything separately.

You can probably save more weight and space by ditching the jacket BC and get a tiny wing/AL backplate. One great set up for travel is the DSS kydex plate/tropical wing. Oxycheq makes a great little travel plate/wing as well. And you'll have the GREAT advantage of no longer diving with a jacket BC.

Many divers like to use a compass, but in Cozumel it's not necessary, it's all guided drift diving. That is, unless you do some unguided shore diving where it's 'swim out-look around-swim back' and for that you do need some navigation.

Thank you guys - I think I am ok with my bcd in terms of size and weight right now, and it holds up well in both cold and warm water. I may switch to a wing later when my bcd craps out. I did look into the Oceanic/Aeris Jetpack when I bought my set. None of my LDS carry or service Oceanic products routinely, so I opted for Aqualung Zuma instead.

I do feel my reg set is way too heavy and bulky than what is necessary for most of my dive trips. But at the same time, I guess it doesn't make sense to "trade down" for a Mikron, when I spent more $ on a higher end Abyss Navy. I have limited experience on different regs, but I do feel my Navy breathe a lot better than most rentals I've used.

I am going to pick up a mini SPG this weekend - it seems Tusa SCA-150 is what my LDS have in stock in terms of mini SPG. Is Tusa a decent choice? LP does not ship most brands to Canada nowadays and it is a hassle to get it forwarded or shipped to a hotel.
Tusa Tusa Guage

Last night, I almost pulled the trigger on a Suunto D4i novo + free transmitter (only 340 GBP on simplyscuba, or 570 GBP for D6i novo with digital compass). Unfortunately, they don't ship out of EU. My local LDS has Mares Quad Air + transmitter on sale for 700 CAD / 540 USD, but it looks huge and doesn't have a compass. One thing I was surprised is that how huge those tank pods are ... do they really save much weight?

FWIW. I dive the Mikron first, second and octo. I love mine for travel and Eric even switched from a Legend LX to the Mikron. It is small, light and very easy to self service if that is something that might interest you. The biggest negative I hear about the Mikron is bubbles in the face from the small exhaust. I don’t find it an issue.

In the ideal world you could also change from the Geo to the Perdix or Teric with the intergrated compass and change the console to a naked SPG. Or get the AI versions if that interests you.

Then put a travel plate and wing on your future purchase list. I like and recommend the Freedom plate (if you can talk Eric S out of one ) paired with the VDH Argonaut #18 wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom