Primary regs too heavy to travel - options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to my backpack, I use the additional personal item to carry my regs, gopro and mask. I have a padded briefcase style bag for them. Though i do check a bag with my bulkier gear. But, you could do your carry-on and a personal item as allowed by most major airlines at no cost. That would give you some more room in your carry-on so as to not damage equipment.

I can get pretty much all my main dive gear in carry on but it is heavy. First I picked a backpack style bag for carry on as large and as light as possible. I went with the Osprey Farpoint

Osprey Farpoint 55L buy and offers on Trekkinn

Eric bought the Kelty 50 Redwing

https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/kelt...MI-ZSGtsK92wIVTCSBCh3-GwnDEAQYCCABEgJBe_D_BwE

Yes loaded it is heavy and bulky but because it is soft sided it molds easily to the shape of the overhead space.

To this I add a typical day backpack that fits in the space at my feet. I wear this loop over my shoulders on my chest. Here is a pic...

Attachments

• 5C744764-5280-40BF-94C0-33E062919972.jpeg
    5C744764-5280-40BF-94C0-33E062919972.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 181
here's a terribly expensive way to save 378g on your reg. since that was the title of this thread. :)
Atomic Aquatics T3 Regulator

I have one and I wouldn't do it either....

Last edited:
I would ditch the console as well; not only for weight savings, but it's more convenient IMO to use a bare SPG on a 24" hose and a wrist computer. I second t-bone's idea of the braided hoses, they are lighter and they pack smaller as well. When I have to carry a bunch of dive gear, I usually take the hoses off the regs and pack everything separately.

You can probably save more weight and space by ditching the jacket BC and get a tiny wing/AL backplate. One great set up for travel is the DSS kydex plate/tropical wing. Oxycheq makes a great little travel plate/wing as well. And you'll have the GREAT advantage of no longer diving with a jacket BC.

Many divers like to use a compass, but in Cozumel it's not necessary, it's all guided drift diving. That is, unless you do some unguided shore diving where it's 'swim out-look around-swim back' and for that you do need some navigation.
Just as an FYI, the Zuma is a back inflate travel BCD, not a jacket BCD. It is already very light weight at less than 5 pounds (4.75 lbs for a ML/LG) so weight savings in going to a BP/W would not likely be significant.

So, did anybody ever try flying wearing a jacket BCD as/like a jacket and getting away with it? Haven't seen it yet, but pre 911 I once saw a guy boarding walking in his ski boots ...

So, did anybody ever try flying wearing a jacket BCD as/like a jacket and getting away with it? Haven't seen it yet, but pre 911 I once saw a guy boarding walking in his ski boots ...

No, but I saw someone with a rebreather on his back boarding a flight in Bonaire.

From you list it seems like a bigger issue is bulk. A new regulator set is going to be an expensive way to trim your luggage. Checking most of gear as baggage is probably the easiest solution. The only gear I took as carry on, was my regulator, computer and camera gear. I stuff/wrap all my equipment with gear with clothing and the bulky stuff goes into a duffel bag and was checked.

I did not see it mentioned, but using a din regulator will save you the weight of the yoke, which is pretty substantial. You will have to count on where ever you go having din valves or adapters though. I have never had a problem though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom