Primary regs too heavy to travel - options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you again guys for all the great suggestions! So here are what I have done / plan to do so far:
  1. I ordered a Suunto D6i novo + free wireless transmitter from UK (saving approx. $700 CAD than buying from LDS...)This should allow me to get rid of the console completely.
    [Question: do I need to order a 6 inch hose for it, or I screw it directly on the HP port? I do use "valet diving" very often in Coz and let the helpers handle my gears...is the pod really that fragile?]
  2. I ordered a scuba tool set and removed the rubber 32 inch dry suit hose, and only left a 24 inch braised hose on for BCD.
  3. I will leave the rubber hose on for primary Abyss reg for now. The Octo already has a braised hose that is much lighter than the primary.
  4. Just before I was about to buy a new SPG today, I realized I could actually take apart my 3 gauge apeks console...(duh!) the SPG module does look pretty fragile with the side of the glass exposed...
    IMG_1184.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5117.jpg

[question: is it necessary to ask my LDS to order original Apeks SPG only parts AP5701 boot and AP5702 bezel? or is there any compatible 1 piece option that is cheaper and lighter?
    If I want to keep the analog SPG till I am conformable with my new wireless AI DC, can I order a short hose that could be clipped on my BCD directly over my shoulder? what length is recommended?]
Thanks again!

Last edited:
@jdevic if you get a chance, go and see Dean at The Dive Academy is Oakville (It is just off of the QEW/403). Dean is a great guy and if you explain what you are looking for and what you are trying to accomplish he will listen and try to help you out with what works best for you.

If you want to spend money on new gears, I can totally understand. But if you want to save weight, change regulator is NOT your answer. Even if you go to the titanium regulators, you aren't saving much, I would say 1/2 lb for 1st and both 2nds together if not less. Not nearly worth the money to do so.

Amount your gears, if you havent' switch to a sport skin for your fusion, do that first.

If you want to get new regs, I think this is a better deal. I would recommend getting a boot for the SPG and replacing the hose with a shorter (22" or 24" ) braided one.

I would also get a wrist boot for the compass. I am not sure who makes the Apeks compass, but chances are it is a standard design. I would check if a bungee mount would work with it. It would be cheaper and more compact.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to pay a couple of overweight fees, rather than spend a bunch more than that trying to switch out for lighter gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom