Primary regs too heavy to travel - options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Primary regs too heavy" - If it is about weight limitations, take off the first stages and carry them in your pockets.

If it is about weight limitations, take off the first stages and carry them in your pockets.
A dumb question: if I take off the hose myself, do I need to re lube / change the o rings when I put them back on? Is it the same silicone lube for my camera o rings? Thanks.

No, AFIK, you don't have to lube the orings which are static (do not move). I don't. Just close the orifices whit plug screws which should come with your regs.

Not really an answer to your question but there are plenty more great dives close to Toronto than Tobermory. Just off Toronto you have the Lyman Davis and Sligo. An hour away you have the Tiller which is more intact than anything in Tobermory. Then there is Kingston with multiple great dive sites and Brockville where you can have great wrecks and warm water.

Glenn Ford
www.cansac.ca

A dumb question: if I take off the hose myself, do I need to re lube / change the o rings when I put them back on? Is it the same silicone lube for my camera o rings? Thanks.
Removing and replacing hoses is super easy. The usual suspect diyer’s on SB will tell you it is not truly static and to place just a small bit of lube on the o-ring. But 99 percent of the time I don’t bother with it and its never seemed to be a problem.

Silicone is not my first choice of lube but it would probably be fine. I definitely would not use it if you ever use higher percentages of nitrox. Silicone and oxygen do not mix well.:)

Tilting at windmills, there are a lot of ways to shave weight and arrange gear for travel, a few ounces in the Regs are a part of the overall plan but other than the fun of buying new gear shouldn’t be the first consideration. Airlines pay little attention to the gear on your back.

Tilting at windmills, there are a lot of ways to shave weight and arrange gear for travel, a few ounces in the Regs are a part of the overall plan but other than the fun of buying new gear shouldn’t be the first consideration. Airlines pay little attention to the gear on your back.

The airsource its-self isn't really lighter than a normal second stage but it does mean one less hose is coming off your first stage. That's a minor weight reduction there.

Titanium regulators are slightly lighter than normal ones. The price is obscene, but if money is no object you could save 1/2 to 1 lb I think.

I agree with the idea of putting the first stages in your pockets I have done that myself. If you do load your pants pockets with several pounds of regs do be careful when you take your belt off for security screening. Take the regs out first.

Thanks guys.

I think for me the bulk is a bigger issue than weight for air travel right now. For airlines that are strict on carry on weight or for long haul vacations, I will have to check a bag anyway. Luckily I mostly fly United short haul to the Caribbean and I have star gold, I havent been stopped by any gate agent due to my carry-on yet. However, the bag is seriously full and tight, and I risk damaging my gears especially the camera stuff.

My first step is to get the SPG and hoses replaced/modified.

Back
Top Bottom