Pushy LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sherwood seems to be a little harder to "breathe" but is built like an anvil.Used by dive shops all over for Rental GEAR( so you know the maint is small)....the Scubapro is a solid well functioning reg and lasts longer than you'll want it to...but Mine has been a little temperamental in the past, nothing serious but most of the time, it "breathes" a little easier....IMHO the mouthpiece will also make a reg seem to breathe easier, if I use a custom one rather than the "set " one...:14:

you cannot go wrong on either one, but usually the Sherwood is a little less expensive, unless you are an instructor, in which case you'll do what they all do, and buy it at the DEMA show for a lot less than list price:wink:

I've owned both SP and Sherwood. The SP does breath better. Try them both at 100' and there will be no doubt in your mind. You really get what you pay for. Save some money by buying the best you can afford upfront. I also own Apeks ATX 200's. Tough choice between SP and Apeks.
And BTW, I've never seen manufacturere selling to Inst's at DEMA. Inst's can/do/should get a break from any dive store. Inst's are industry professionals.
Bill

rigdiver:
And BTW, I've never seen manufacturere selling to Inst's at DEMA. Inst's can/do/should get a break from any dive store. Inst's are industry professionals.
Bill

every position has its perks:D , Many LDS will "front" SP for their instructors....Just an observation.....not a condemnation

side note- cave diver, have you done the Cenotes in PDC? or what do you reccomend rather than there?

Just to add a bit here, I've used the reg the guy's buying and from I'm reading here you're scaring the guy into thinking he's just made a BIG mistake. The reg breathes fine at 100 feet, sure the others might be a little easier but you won't find yourself at 100 feet wishing you had the other reg as you gasp for air. It's not like some of the unbalanced regs out there which might get tough if you move your head sideways...

jbliesath:
Same thing happened to me when I was first looking for a regulator. I wanted an SP but the sales guy was trying to sell me an Apex ATX200 Black Pearl! He extolled the virtues of Apex over SP. I ended up buying an AL Titan LX from another shop. I went back in about three months later, and they were now a SP dealer. Same guy trying to see my a high end SP....
So you didn't listen to anyone as you ended up with a low end reg :)

That black pearl was a limited edition reg. I have a couple of them.

I have used the Titan LX at depth; it's fine.

The real statement here is this: The salesman's job is simply to separate you from as much of your money as he can. Doesn't matter whether it is SCUBA gear, a diamond ring, an auto, or a MP3 player.

garyfotodiver:
The real statement here is this: The salesman's job is simply to separate you from as much of your money as he can. Doesn't matter whether it is SCUBA gear, a diamond ring, an auto, or a MP3 player.

Classic Quote.

Though to really do a great job of separating you from as much of your money as possible, a good salesman will build a relationship with you and earn your repeat business.

I had worked at a dive shop before(including ordering product), and I would love to sell the Blizzard or any other Sherwood for that matter - and the owner of the shop would love to sell Aqualung. We both thought that honestly our choices were the best. He would tell "my customers" how great the Aqualung Whateveritwas is after I made my points about the Sherwood. It was never to seperate more money from the customer, it was that I dove Sherwood and he dove Aqualung. Like the kids in the playground with X-box vs Playstation.

I don't know about in the States, but here in Canada we bought through a wholesaler(s) and it didn't matter what brand we bought. Of course, there were different discounts for different products at times, but there was never a push to sell a certain manufacturer all the time.

On the other hand, selling an $80 snorkel to someone at Christmas for "a diver in the family" was all about seperating money from the customer.

Irene:
Classic Quote.

Though to really do a great job of separating you from as much of your money as possible, a good salesman will build a relationship with you and earn your repeat business.

I agree. "Pushy" anything makes for a decreasing potential for me to actually purchase, or at least purchase from the "pushy" party. I'm more likely to take my business elsewhere.

My wife still prefers her Sherwood Maximus when we're doing 'recreational' dives. I now prefer Scubapro, but I've put a longer than typical (40") primary second stage hose and a Scubapro 120 degree elbow to get some of the same features on my Scubapro rec rig that come 'stock' on the Maximus.

The Maximus moisture retention system made for a too-wet second stage for my tastes. In contrast, my D400, S600, and G500 are all so dry breathing I can get a bit uncomfortable and have to remove the reg just to moisten the inside of my mouth sometimes during a dive. For my wife, the Maximus is 'just right' though. Different strokes for different folks.

Ogre, what you might do is ask the LDS to let you 'test drive' both models as rentals, and see which you personally prefer.

Just to update everyone that has been so kind to give me all the info (thank you).
I talked to a deferant person at the LDS in question and explaind how I was feeling and that i really got mad and almost went some where else. They were very nice and we had a long chat. I think we have worked it all out. My sherwood will be in next week and I will try both in the water. Once again thank you all for the info. It is places like this and people like you that really hepl us noobs work it all out and not look stupid.
OGRE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom