Question about Integrated Air Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pro Plus 2.1 is quite a sturdy machine and, based on our stats, the most popular among Oceanic dive computers.

divePAL_ipad_proplus2.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I hear of computers failing all the time...... on Scubaboard! :D Tech divers especially like to talk about computer failures, and low tech bottom timers and SPGs. Funny thing is these dudes don't use them so how come they see them fail so much?

The reality is I have never witnessed a computer failure while diving. They tend to go south before the dive. I have seen them flood, I've seen them run out of battery juice, never seen one fail as in electronics meltdown. I know it happens as I do see these things in for service. Actually my buddies would not Sync years ago. Oceanic replaced the transmitter.

In any event computers are subject to failure, and I'm sure it will happen to me one day. I dive with a backup.

BTW on a live-aboard who is checking these computers? I've been on a couple and never been checked. Maybe they were in stealth mode! I hear of this no diving for 24 hours stuff, but have never seen the crew monitoring any of the divers all that closely. I likely could have been diving a different computer on every dive and they would be none the wiser.

Same holds true for multi day dives most anywhere. The crew is certainly not monitoring my computer. They want folks to dive safe, but are not monitoring 20+ divers daily. Maybe some live-aboard's do this, but none I have used.

I was going to say something, but I figured there was good discussion regarding wireless transmitters and eventually someone would realize that wasn't what I was asking..haha :wink:

I also dive a Pro Plus 2. When planning our first liveaboard backups were certainly a big question. My son and I use Nitrox and we were looking at 5 dives a day.
So for Christmas that year we both got the Atom 2.0. A little pricey but I think well worth it in the long run. One of the divers started the trip out with a failed computer and so paid rental daily. I don't know what the rates were but that was exactly my thinking.
My son dives the VEO so I guess it could be said that our original computers are now our backups...all of the alerts go off at the same time :)

I think the prime issue with a PP2 failure would be that you will not be able to monitor pressure. You would need to thumb the dive even with a back up computer. With a backup SPG you could finish the dive, but only if you can figure out depth and time (to do the tables, which you should know if you were diving the plan.)... besides that, I can't imagine anyone withholding future dives after you've figured out your gear issues.... SPG for back creates a certain christmas tree effect as well. And yes I dive a PP2.

BTW on a live-aboard who is checking these computers? I've been on a couple and never been checked. Maybe they were in stealth mode! I hear of this no diving for 24 hours stuff, but have never seen the crew monitoring any of the divers all that closely. I likely could have been diving a different computer on every dive and they would be none the wiser.

Same holds true for multi day dives most anywhere. The crew is certainly not monitoring my computer. They want folks to dive safe, but are not monitoring 20+ divers daily. Maybe some live-aboard's do this, but none I have used.

That's simple... YOU are responsible for your own safety and should be checking your loadings. I don't believe the live aboard crew act as a mobile branch of the Scuba police.

With your computer I'd not carry a backup SPG. If this part should fail you abort the dive, get it fixed or at that point add a SPG and continue your dives. What I would backup is the computer part, just get an inexpensive non AI wrist mounted computer with a compatible algorithm as a backup.

AN UWATEC bottom timer is a cheaper alternative to a backup computer. I used to have a Gekko which was a Backup to my Vyper, lost the Gekko bought a Bottom timer as was cheaper. In OW diving computer failure is not catastrophic just inconvenient. Having a bottom timer means I can get out tables and carry on diving. In reality I have never seen an AI fail "in the field".

I hear of computers failing all the time...... on Scubaboard! :D Tech divers especially like to talk about computer failures, and low tech bottom timers and SPGs. Funny thing is these dudes don't use them so how come they see them fail so much?

The reality is I have never witnessed a computer failure while diving. They tend to go south before the dive. I have seen them flood, I've seen them run out of battery juice, never seen one fail as in electronics meltdown. I know it happens as I do see these things in for service. Actually my buddies would not Sync years ago. Oceanic replaced the transmitter.

In any event computers are subject to failure, and I'm sure it will happen to me one day. I dive with a backup......

i have had two "backup" wrist computers malfunction while diving. A Suunto failed during a weeks stay at a resort. According to my LDS, a suunto dealer, the electronic module failed & was replaced. A Mares failed on a liveaboard. It was returned to the manufacturer who reported an electronic failure. As you say, computers are subject to failure.

I've seen it happen on others. I use a wrist mounter XR2 and a SPG on one set of regs, and an analog console on my other reg setup.
I like the simplicity of the computer, but also dive tables.
Diving is not the safest sport, but it is about calculated risks.

I was going to say something, but I figured there was good discussion regarding wireless transmitters and eventually someone would realize that wasn't what I was asking..haha :wink:
Yeah, well spend enough time around here and you notice AI automatically means transmitter and failure to some. With YOUR specific post it shows they either did not read it or have no real knowledge of the product you are asking about. Seems to usually be "I have a friend" type posts. I for one dive an Atom 2, since it was released. Some 500+ dives and have never ever lost link with the transmitter. About a month ago it did start to think I was 40 feet deeper than I actually was. Surfaced from a dive, said I was still 40 down. Next dive at 65 ft, it said I was at 105 (I do actually dive w/a backup). Any computer can fail. Oceanic repaired it for me BTW. Great service. For that matter so can SPGs, depth gauges and bottom timers. A computer failure is not a huge deal if you pay attention to your bottom times and depth through your dives, can always go to tables (horror!). But many of us don't pay that close attention when using the computers. One day local dive trip, who cares. Vacation of your dreams, a cheap backup is probably worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom