Question for Atomic Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have an Atomic B-2 which also squeels on inhale. It drives me, divers around me, and the marine life nuts. I have had it to an Atomic authorized dealer who was unable to fix it. Thus, I sent it to Atomic who kindly replaced nearly everything in the first stage. Unfortunately, their kind efforts failed and my reg still squeels. Now the reg is back at Atomic for a third try. After reading about all the people who have had squeeling problems with this regulator, it seems obvious that the reg is a failure no matter what it's cost is. Unfortunately, the B2 is not cheap, but rather very expensive. Different people and magazines have rated regulators based on how easy they breath. But, no one considers how annoying a regulator is when it is breathed through. My B2 breaths like a dream. But, so do other regs - which don't squeel while they are breathing easily.

Maybe the cure is to get the reg sealed. I'm just speculating, but the M1 and T2 come sealed and don't squeal.

Adam

Maybe the cure is to get the reg sealed. I'm just speculating, but the M1 and T2 come sealed and don't squeal.

Adam

My B2 doesn't squeal. Another buddy's B2 squeals, but another buddy's B2 doesn't squeal. The guy with the squealing B2 is sending his reg back today for the 2-years service. We shall see how it comes out after the service.

I also have an Atomic B-2 which also squeels on inhale. It drives me, divers around me, and the marine life nuts. I have had it to an Atomic authorized dealer who was unable to fix it. Thus, I sent it to Atomic who kindly replaced nearly everything in the first stage. Unfortunately, their kind efforts failed and my reg still squeels. Now the reg is back at Atomic for a third try. After reading about all the people who have had squeeling problems with this regulator, it seems obvious that the reg is a failure no matter what it's cost is. Unfortunately, the B2 is not cheap, but rather very expensive. Different people and magazines have rated regulators based on how easy they breath. But, no one considers how annoying a regulator is when it is breathed through. My B2 breaths like a dream. But, so do other regs - which don't squeel while they are breathing easily.

This is where atomic is going to pay for the privilege of keeping a self-styled reputation as the best regulators in the world. Tell them you want a new one, and I'm sure they'll give it to you.

The honking (BTW, it's squeal, not squeel, or sqeel) noise, if it's what everyone seems to think it is, is a resonance with the piston and spring vibrating rapidly as air goes by the edge of the piston. Think of it as a very simple flute that only knows one note. The extra lube on the HP o-ring is supposed to dampen the vibration, but in your case, obviously that's not working. It's time for a new reg, or tell them you're selling it to get a MK25/S600, which is about as close as you'll get.

This is why I absolutely love spending $50 on used MK5s/MK10s/D300s, etc....if I spent several hundred on a regulator and it did this, I'd be fairly annoyed.

Have you noticed it more so at depth? I have a very new B2 that I only have a couple dives on. For my first dive, I took it to 95 feet and noticed a high pitched sound, especially upon a deep breath. I don't know that I'd call it a squeal necessarily, but perhaps it might be the same sound. I figure I'll give it a few more dives to see if it settles itself out. The thing breathes so well, I want to convince myself it's perfect in every way. Maybe I should try breathing out of my Z2 octo at the same depth that I notice the B2 making the noise just to see if it's the same...

I've had squealing Atomics and Scubapros in my shop from time to time. So far, I've been able to eliminate the squeals by flipping the spring and/or heavily lubricating the HP o-ring (usually "and") as several posters have mentioned. Harmonics are wonderful things in music, but not so wonderful underwater, eh??

My B2 doesn't squeal. Another buddy's B2 squeals, but another buddy's B2 doesn't squeal. The guy with the squealing B2 is sending his reg back today for the 2-years service. We shall see how it comes out after the service.

Looks like some B2's squeal and some don't. Still I wonder if sealing it will dampen the works with the grease and prevent the squeals. Does anyone with a sealed Atomic have problems with squealing?

I'm interested as I was considering getting a B2 but do not want a squealing regulator, even if it breathes easily.

Adam

Looks like some B2's squeal and some don't. Still I wonder if sealing it will dampen the works with the grease and prevent the squeals. Does anyone with a sealed Atomic have problems with squealing?

I'm interested as I was considering getting a B2 but do not want a squealing regulator, even if it breathes easily.

Adam

Well, both of my Atomics are 'sealed' ( T2 and older B1 upgraded into an M1 ) and never any signs of 'squealing'...they're awesome regs !

I bought a standard, unsealed B2 reg new. It did have a high-pitched squeal the first 20 dives or so, although seemingly only at certain depths (or, probably more likely, only a certain range of tank pressures).

The squeal went away all on its own, although the LDS told me they could adjust it out if need be. I've since used it over 100 dives and through its first 2-year servicing and the squeal has never reappeared.

I just bought a B2, and am happy to report that it does not squeal.

BLo: The squeal is the same noise/problem I have experienced, and also the same that the other writers in this forum have experienced. I make quite a few dives and have had the opportunity to find out whether it is a depth related problem or a tank pressure related problem and.... depth has nearly nothing to do with it. BUT.. when my tank pressure is between 1800 and 1100 psi, the problem is the greatest. And, as all of you have found out, if you take a deep breath, the squeal is just about guaranteed. Unfortunately, a few people have suggested that fixing it should be as simple as lubricating (or even sealing) an o-ring or the piston in the first stage. But, believe me, it's not that simple. Otherwise, my (and other peoples' B2's) would be fixed after having been sent to authorized dealers as well as to Atomic - numerous times. I admire many people's loyalty, and agree that Atomic is a great regulator. However, after so many people with the same B2's have exactly the same problem, it is more than obvious that there is more of a problem with the B-2 than a simple adjustment will take care of. Most frustrating is the fact that not only does it squeal, but that it is also one of the most expensive regulators that money can buy. And, last, but not least, a few people have said, "I just got a new B2 and it doesn't squeal." To them I say, "My B2 didn't squeal until I had about 100 dives on it. After that, it's never been the same - even after sending it directly to Atomic for repair - and, after Atomic replaced nearly everything in the first stage (which is where the problem is) with brand new parts. Sadly, while my Atomic reg breaths easily, if I am around people or marine life that I don't want to bother, I must breath through my Alternate Air/Inflator on my BC. Now that's sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom