Question for Atomic Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam, See the post I left before this one. As an owner of a B2, I wouldn't recommend it; particularly since you can get other regs, for a lower price, that breath every bit as easily as an Atomic, but that don't have problems.

One writer in this forum suggested that Atomic should simply replace the troublesome regs (for users) with ones that are not troublesome. But, I can speak from experience and tell you that, after my reg has been back to Atomic two times, they have not made any such offer to me. I can guarantee you that if you had the same problem with an Oceanic product, you would definately have a brand new replacement sitting on your doorstep!
Kent

If Oceanic doesn't fix my reg this time around (it is at the factory AGAIN), then I'll sell it for 1/2 price and I'll buy an Oceanic or Sherwood regulator; both of which can match the specs of the Atomic.

UPDATE:
I just received a new B2 from Atomic. It'll be a while before I am able to use/try it, but I will remain optimistic.

Last edited:
I admire many people's loyalty, and agree that Atomic is a great regulator. However, after so many people with the same B2's have exactly the same problem, it is more than obvious that there is more of a problem with the B-2 than a simple adjustment will take care of. Most frustrating is the fact that not only does it squeal, but that it is also one of the most expensive regulators that money can buy.

As an owner of a B2, I wouldn't recommend it; particularly since you can get other regs, for a lower price, that breath every bit as easily as an Atomic, but that don't have problems.

I'm still a fan of my B2, but I agree it's hard to defend this kind of obviously recurring problem from what's supposed to be a first-rate company like Atomic. I wish Atomic had a forum in the Manufacturer's area here on ScubaBoard where we could get some direct, public feedback from them on issues like this.

Sounds like one other option to really stop this problem is to have the first stage sealed, which I believe is an option on all Atomic first stages. But it's silly to have to do this on what should be a top-notch reg just to keep it quiet like it should be to begin with.

... Sadly, while my Atomic reg breaths easily, if I am around people or marine life that I don't want to bother, I must breath through my Alternate Air/Inflator on my BC. Now that's sad.

That is pretty sad. Did you notice the noise decrease after a number of dives as FritzCat66 did? I see that Atomic has since replaced your reg. I hope that the new one works well for you.

This is an update to my previous message (2 messages above). Atomic very kindly replaced my squealing B2 with a brand new regulator. I am now in Bonaire with my brand new B2 and am sad to report that it too squeals. To make sure it wasn't something I was doing wrong, I breathed off of my wifes B2, a friends' Atomic T1, an Oceanic Reg, and a Sherwood SR1. NO one elses regs squealed. Likewise, when others breathed off of my reg, my reg squealed for them as well. It is now more than obvious that Atomic has a problem. I very much appreciate that they sent me a brand new reg. However, it drives me, and the people and the fish around me nuts. Ebay, here I come with a squealing reg. Knowing that I will have to disclose the problem, I might get $50 for the brand new reg. When you buy an Atomic, you are not getting what you pay more than anything else for. Rather, you are simply paying too much for a name.

My Z2 never squealed either. Are we really talking a loud, obnoxious squealing noise here (think stuck pig)? Because if we are, I feel sorry for the OP and the bad luck he's had with his reg. Or, are we talking that faint, high-pitched whine that some Atomics make (barely audible)? Because if we are, then all I can say is, Get over it or buy a rebreather.

;-))

Wow, usually Atomic gets pounded on around here for its prices, not its quality.

To the OP: my guess is you're sick of dealing with them by now, but have you tried talking to Darcy at AA? Obviously, Atomic's taking you seriously since they sent you a replacement. Maybe they'll be willing to replace this one as well. My experience is that their customer service is first-rate, but on the other hand I've never had an issue like yours. Maybe they could refund or credit the diffence on a different model.

FWIW, and I realize it's not worth much, neither my T2 nor my wife's Z2 have ever squealed.

Last edited:
My Z2 sounds like a Kazoo out of water, but doesn't squeal.

Can anyone answer the question asked early in the thread about the atomic regs with "environmentally sealed" 1st stages. The B2 and Z-series regs do not come standard with the sealed first stage, but it is an OPTION for both. The regs with STANDARD sealed first stages, the M1, ST1, and T-series, haven't been listed as culprits for the squeel, or honk, or harmonic issues. I am curious if the problem is specifically with the unsealed first stages of the B2's and Z-series that have been listed as the problems. Is it possible that the environmental seal is what makes the difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom