Question for Atomic Owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is almost certainly a resonance vibration in the piston/spring, so packing the chamber with grease (that's the environmental seal) should definitely dampen the vibration.

However, simply rebuilding the reg with adequate lube on the HP o-ring and a touch of grease on the spring 'should' fix it as well.

So if I were going to purchase an atomic reg, a sealed B2 or the M1, ST1, or T2x would be the better choice if I want to avoid the potential for a squeel?

And has anyone with one of the sealed regs had any problems at all with a squeel?

So if I were going to purchase an atomic reg, a sealed B2 or the M1, ST1, or T2x would be the better choice if I want to avoid the potential for a squeel?

And has anyone with one of the sealed regs had any problems at all with a squeel?

I've got an M1 and T2...both 'sealed'......and neither has ever 'squealed'.

Given the vast majority of satisfied Atomic owners out there, I wouldn't worry about it and just get the reg you want. Issues like this tend to be magnified beyond reality on the internet.

I would not get a sealed reg unless my diving required it. And mine does at least for my O2 bottles. But my others are not sealed and I have dove them in some murky cold water. Also none of them honk, fart, belch, hiccup, or emit other sounds.

I also have M1 + T2X and no squeals. M1's are a great reg.

Dwayne

Update on my previous post:
I wrote a letter to Atomic in which I told them that I had returned my previous B2 to their Dealer once and to them (Atomic) twice with no luck, and then they replaced the B2 with a brand new one, but it also squealed. Unfortunately, I have received absolutely NO response from Atomic. As we all know, the quality of a product is one (important) thing, but, the service from a manufacturer is every bit as important as the product itself. I have now given Atomic and it's authorized dealer FOUR chances to fix my B2 Squealing problem and, after two years, the problem is still not fixed. I will now replace the regulator with a product from a manufacturer (such as Oceanic) who is reknowned for their excellent and caring service.

Downing, The squeal from my B2 is loud enough to be heard from a diver 15' away. The squeal comes from the 1st stage which is only inches away from my head - which makes it particularly annoying to me. As I've indicated in a previous post, I've breathed off of other regs, (including a T1, a Sherwood SR1, an Oceanic EOS, and another B) and all of them were quiet. Likewise, the owners of those regs breathed off of my B2 regulator while I was trying their regulators, and my regulator squealed for them. Likewise, all of them told me that my reg drove them nuts! Your suggestion for fixing the problem by "getting over it and buying a rebreather" is childish, arrogant and narrow minded. If that is the way you choose to communicate on this forum, then you might consider expressing yourself somewhere else. Or... perhaps you would like to trade me your regulator for my B2!

Krooda, not sure when you wrote your letter but if recently they may not have responded in a timely fashion because of DEMA. Typically, the weeks leading up to DEMA (which ended Sat) are busy. I certainly understand your frustration though.

Downing, Thanks for your reply. My wife also has a B2 (like mine), but her's (thankfully) doesn't squeal. After doing some reading and checking around, I have found that 'squealing first stages is characteristic of only piston first stages, and not of balanced diaphram first stages. I've heard that, in many cases, simply lubricating the piston will take care of the problem. However, in my case, lubrication, replacement of the piston, and even replacement of the entire regulator hasn't fixed it. I also have a friend that got a new Sherwood SR1 regulator which is one of the top rated regulators available right now. His also squeals. He sent it to Sherwood and they sent him a new one which is fine. Obviously, the majority of piston regs don't squeal. Otherwise, people wouldn't buy them. I think that I have hit a streak of bad luck with them though, and it is looking like the way to break that streak is by going to a regulator that has a balanced diaphram first stage. I'm also disappointed that Atomic has not responded to my latest communication to them. I have tried to be very nice, patient, and even thankful to them for their previous efforts. But, unfortunately, I don't have anything to show for it other than a regulator which still squeals. Thanks again for your post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom